XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

No AUX, USB, or Anything?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 06:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No AUX, USB, or Anything?

Just got a 2008 XK and I cannot find any kind of auxiliary inputs. I must be mistaken. There must be a jack in some unusual place. Where is it guys?
Oh. This isna duplicate thread. Oops.

Old 09-06-2020, 01:04 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Check in the armrest!
If not there you don't have it.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:10 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris N
Just got a 2008 XK and I cannot find any kind of auxiliary inputs. I must be mistaken. There must be a jack in some unusual place. Where is it guys?
Oh. This isna duplicate thread. Oops.
My 2008 XKR doesn't have it either. I figured its sole purpose would be for playing music. So I got myself an upgraded, sports exhaust system. Problem solved

A little more seriously, I also got myself a small FM transmitter gizmo which plugs into a 12v power socket. The idea is you tune it to a 'blank' FM radio station on the car's inbuilt radio and then the gizmo connects to your phone via bluetooth. After that, all the audio you can get on the phone is relayed via the car's sound system using the blank radio station on the infotainment setup. This works great. It also sends Waze voice instructions through the car system, and if you run Android Auto on your phone (or maybe the equivalent if you have an Apple phone) then you also get the music volume lowered when a satnav voice instruction comes along, or a satnav instruction muted if the phone rings and so on, just like a three thousand dollar OEM option setup. I installed Replaio to my phone, which works seamlessly with Android Auto and I have ten thousand radio stations at my disposal as well, via the phone's internet data connection. A nice touch is that the whole thing is automatic - as soon as the ignition is turned on, the phone pairs with the gizmo and I am all set. Nothing to fiddle with.

It's a workaround, and not as good as a good inbuilt system for sure, but it does work perfectly. And even if I had the latest Jaguar (or any other manufacturer) satnav, I'd still not use it and would run Waze anyway, so my phone would still need to be connected.

The gizmo is cheap and reliable. I put one in my daily beater (X Type) and it works perfectly there too. There are tons to choose from - they all do the same sort of thing. This is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N18X4MQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N18X4MQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just my $0.02.

The following users liked this post:
Chris N (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,391 Likes on 3,501 Posts
Chris N (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by barnsie
My 2008 XKR doesn't have it either. I figured its sole purpose would be for playing music. So I got myself an upgraded, sports exhaust system. Problem solved

A little more seriously, I also got myself a small FM transmitter gizmo which plugs into a 12v power socket. The idea is you tune it to a 'blank' FM radio station on the car's inbuilt radio and then the gizmo connects to your phone via bluetooth. After that, all the audio you can get on the phone is relayed via the car's sound system using the blank radio station on the infotainment setup. This works great. It also sends Waze voice instructions through the car system, and if you run Android Auto on your phone (or maybe the equivalent if you have an Apple phone) then you also get the music volume lowered when a satnav voice instruction comes along, or a satnav instruction muted if the phone rings and so on, just like a three thousand dollar OEM option setup. I installed Replaio to my phone, which works seamlessly with Android Auto and I have ten thousand radio stations at my disposal as well, via the phone's internet data connection. A nice touch is that the whole thing is automatic - as soon as the ignition is turned on, the phone pairs with the gizmo and I am all set. Nothing to fiddle with.

It's a workaround, and not as good as a good inbuilt system for sure, but it does work perfectly. And even if I had the latest Jaguar (or any other manufacturer) satnav, I'd still not use it and would run Waze anyway, so my phone would still need to be connected.

The gizmo is cheap and reliable. I put one in my daily beater (X Type) and it works perfectly there too. There are tons to choose from - they all do the same sort of thing. This is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just my $0.02.
THANKS!!! That was funny (the exhaust) and a great workaround! I wanted to go on my Pandemic Roadtrip without a front suspension clunk or my audiobooks. This solves one problem and I hope the other doesn't break the bank!

barnsie (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

There is a SMALL possibility that you MAY have an audio input inside your glove box. Take a look, just to be sure.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
There is a SMALL possibility that you MAY have an audio input inside your glove box. Take a look, just to be sure.
You got my hopes up with this one before! I think, for some reason kept strictly secret at Jaguar, they forgot to include it on the 2008 models. Now, if someone comes along and says their 2008 does have an audio input in the glove box, I will begin to feel deeply paranoid....

Cee Jay (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 12:50 PM
Received 272 Likes on 116 Posts

Visit the Jag Wrangler TheJagWrangler - Home - About Us who sells a Bluetooth adpater that will allow you to play your iPhone music on your car stereo. I've had one for a month and it works perfectly. I have also used the fm adapter units in the past on various cars and they work sporadically.

Old 09-06-2020, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Scott in PA
Visit the Jag Wrangler TheJagWrangler - Home - About Us who sells a Bluetooth adpater that will allow you to play your iPhone music on your car stereo. I've had one for a month and it works perfectly. I have also used the fm adapter units in the past on various cars and they work sporadically.
That is real neat. But... it costs well over 130 bucks more than my cigar lighter gizmo, needs a trip to the dealer (more cost) and has less functionality too. The big advantage is - nothing plugged in to the 12v socket - but TBH, for me, saving over 100 bucks, having all the extra functionality, and not having to spend half a day driving to and from my dealership, makes the gizmo a better bet. I know not everyone will agree, of course

Old 09-06-2020, 01:25 PM
Received 272 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by barnsie
That is real neat. But... it costs well over 130 bucks more than my cigar lighter gizmo, needs a trip to the dealer (more cost) and has less functionality too. The big advantage is - nothing plugged in to the 12v socket - but TBH, for me, saving over 100 bucks, having all the extra functionality, and not having to spend half a day driving to and from my dealership, makes the gizmo a better bet. I know not everyone will agree, of course
FYI if you're handy, you can install it yourself... but you are right the fm tansmitter gizmo has exponentially more functionality. I remember fm radio interference happening a lot with mine, so hopefully that won't be a problem for you.

It is the best bang-for-the buck workaround!

Old 09-07-2020, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Scott in PA
FYI if you're handy, you can install it yourself... but you are right the fm tansmitter gizmo has exponentially more functionality. I remember fm radio interference happening a lot with mine, so hopefully that won't be a problem for you.

It is the best bang-for-the buck workaround!
You make a good point about potential FM interference. I think this could be more of an issue in the USA where the FM band is more crowded. Here in Europe it hasn't been a problem for me. My unit has been tuned to 108.7 since I got it and I've never had any sort of breakthrough interference. In fact, I did try tuning it to a frequency which had a weak, but audible, FM signal on it and the gizmo seemed to defeat that, sort of bullying it into submission. I guessed it might be because the gizmo is a small FM 'radio station' actually inside the car, so it kinda overwhelms a genuine but weak radio signal. But tuning it to 108.7, which is unused in the UK, fixed it anyway.

It's such an inexpensive solution, it's worth a try for anyone with the OP's issue - maybe paving the way later for the more elegant and more 'permanent' solution mentioned above.

Scott in PA (09-07-2020)