XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A non-Cambo OBD gauge solution

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Please keep in mind the links below are older threads. I started with replacing an older gauge system that was no longer for sale. I went on to add touch screen functionality (parts no longer available for sale), microphone and GPS but since I have just reverted to gauges only. It's a long read.

The first one is easy enough.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...-interface.pdf

The rest, including Cabrio Bob's excellent write up for his unit can be found here in the DIY section when you scroll down to number 11 (Upgrades).
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...enance-227403/

And Stuart is being modest. He is perfectly capable of doing this but took an easier and another perfectly acceptable approach.

So wire up and install the GVIF device, then add the android box, install Torque Pro to the android box or your preferred auto tool, and go. GVIF box is about $200. Android boxes are cheap and my original costs shown in the link are less now than when I did it.

Cambo also has a set up that uses the touchscreen. The initial work is similar (realistically more sophisticated and done professionally than mine) to what I did but adds a touchscreen interface to the head unit. Not for most DIY'ers but still a great option.

Bottom line is there are several options available now that weren't really available (or created) a few years ago. I say pick the one you like (aesthetically) and run with it.

Last edited by Sean W; 11-13-2020 at 10:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I don't have the Touch Screen capability on my display either, but I do have a small mouse connected and can do all the screen changes just like a new Lexus!
The thing about an Android Box is that you can do pretty much everything a tablet can do, depending on the Box you choose. Some have SIM cards and GPS, some they are options, and whatever else you can think of.

Using any phone with HotSpot enabled and you can hook up your Android Box WiFi to your phone and you have everything you need to have an Android Tablet on your OEM screen. Again, the bad part is the low resolution and there's no getting past that. It looks pretty good anyway, but small text and stuff is difficult to read. Maybe set the box's settings to "Old People Mode" would help with that.

Sean W (11-13-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 04:07 PM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts
Default Android Box/GVIF for Gauges on the TSD

I have been talking with Sean W offline for a couple of days about the details of his setup. Today, I worked on a more graphically-oriented diagram of his arrangement, for which he posted a schematic at post #1 on this thread. He thought it would be helpful for me to post it here.

Please note:
  • I have not implemented this scheme, but Sean says it is correct. Trust him, not me!
  • This arrangement does not include a backup camera, as seen in Sean's schematic, but this can be added if desired.
  • The TorquePro app is not the only OBDII app that can be used. Any similar app available on Google Play will work.
  • This diagram will be hard to understand without reading Sean's explanation of the setup and following his schematic.
  • The gauges that will display are NOT touchscreen-able. You cannot touch-swipe from screen to screen. But you can add a wireless mouse that will allow you to change the screens available on the TorquePro (or equivalent) app. Not suggested for use while driving...
Questions about the attached? PM or post.

Thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GVIF Diagram.pdf (265.3 KB, 67 views)
Sean W (11-18-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 04:34 PM
Received 228 Likes on 112 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong. Does this diagram look like a CarPlay set (probably without audio)?

Old 11-17-2020, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tmich
Correct me if I'm wrong. Does this diagram look like a CarPlay set (probably without audio)?
nope - android
I should elaborate, this setup doesn't use your phone. It's an Android TV box that has Torque Pro loaded on it and automatically launches on start up. No touch screen functionality and doesn't mirror your phone. The bluetooth functionality allows it to link to the OBD II reader and display it on the head unit.

Last edited by Sean W; 11-17-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:47 AM
Received 228 Likes on 112 Posts

Two thoughts:
1. If I change android tv box for something that works as a CarPlay receiver scheme would be the same?
2. Why it does not cover touch screen functionality- I believe screen works as a "pointer", this is a android tv limitation? Or it would require another element in a diagram to have touch screen with such non-OEM feature?

Old 11-18-2020, 06:17 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
I have been talking with Sean W offline for a couple of days about the details of his setup. Today, I worked on a more graphically-oriented diagram of his arrangement, for which he posted a schematic at post #1 on this thread. He thought it would be helpful for me to post it here.

Please note:
  • I have not implemented this scheme, but Sean says it is correct. Trust him, not me!
  • This arrangement does not include a backup camera, as seen in Sean's schematic, but this can be added if desired.
  • The TorquePro app is not the only OBDII app that can be used. Any similar app available on Google Play will work.
  • This diagram will be hard to understand without reading Sean's explanation of the setup and following his schematic.
  • The gauges that will display are NOT touchscreen-able. You cannot touch-swipe from screen to screen. But you can add a wireless mouse that will allow you to change the screens available on the TorquePro (or equivalent) app. Not suggested for use while driving...

Thanks.
That is a terrific piece of work, Bill. I think even I could manage to install that!

Old 11-18-2020, 08:42 AM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

tmich,
  1. There are CarPlay boxes for sale but these may not work with the infotainment head unit of older Jaguars. Here are a couple of examples, neither of which is stated to work for the XK. But you can search further. Even so, the setup in the diagram may not work with such a unit.
  2. You probably need Cambo's expertise to answer this question, and that I certainly don't have! Here is my guess as to what is going on. (Apologies in advance if you know this already.) A touchscreen is a separate device sitting "on top of" the actual display, which may by LCD, LED, etc. The touchscreen generates a signal that indicates where your finger is on the display and what it is doing (tapping, sliding, etc.). When you touch the screen showing the "standard" images on the display, this signal is sent to a dedicated microcontroller that in turn tells the infotainment computer how to change the image displayed - hide a menu, go to home screen, slide the map up or down, and so on. You would like to have the same ability when the Android box is generating the image displayed. The problem is how to send the touchscreen signal to the Android box and have its computer change the image displayed in accordance with your touch input. I have no idea how to do that. Some members who have implemented this setup use a wireless mouse to control the Android box, but of course that bypasses the touchscreen. Car Solutions may have a way to do this, by adding electronics in parallel or series with the OEM microcontroller. But that's way above my pay grade.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tmich
Two thoughts:
1. If I change android tv box for something that works as a CarPlay receiver scheme would be the same?
2. Why it does not cover touch screen functionality- I believe screen works as a "pointer", this is a android tv limitation? Or it would require another element in a diagram to have touch screen with such non-OEM feature?
There are options for CarPlay and added touchscreen functionality. I did it once but the parts needed to make the box/ touchscreen interface are no longer available.

You can PM Cambo. He sells a set up that works with CarPlay or Android (I think you have to pick). It's not a typical DIY job though and he has some guys around the globe that he can recommend doing the install. See this thread. He notes there were some initial issues he had to work through at the time but has since done so. His company's quality is top notch:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uto-xk-224693/

There are a couple of guys on this forum that have done Cambo's install and love it.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

tmich,
  1. There are CarPlay boxes for sale but these may not work with the infotainment head unit of older Jaguars. Here are a couple of examples, neither of which is stated to work for the XK. But you can search further. Even so, the setup in the diagram may not work with such a unit.
  2. You probably need Cambo's expertise to answer this question, and that I certainly don't have! Here is my guess as to what is going on. (Apologies in advance if you know this already.) A touchscreen is a separate device sitting "on top of" the actual display, which may by LCD, LED, etc. The touchscreen generates a signal that indicates where your finger is on the display and what it is doing (tapping, sliding, etc.). When you touch the screen showing the "standard" images on the display, this signal is sent to a dedicated microcontroller that in turn tells the infotainment computer how to change the image displayed - hide a menu, go to home screen, slide the map up or down, and so on. You would like to have the same ability when the Android box is generating the image displayed. The problem is how to send the touchscreen signal to the Android box and have its computer change the image displayed in accordance with your touch input. I have no idea how to do that. Some members who have implemented this setup use a wireless mouse to control the Android box, but of course that bypasses the touchscreen. Car Solutions may have a way to do this, by adding electronics in parallel or series with the OEM microcontroller. But that's way above my pay grade.
Yes, you need two (or a 2 in one) switch board and touchscreen controller circuit board. Car Solutions no longer sells them. This is part of Cambo's set up and I'm guessing it's proprietary. Additionally he uses a CarPlay or Android interface that connects to the phone either wired or wireless.

The two linked solutions Bill posted above will not work in our cars. The Jaguar solution fits in newer tech Jaguars, not retrofittable. The other wouldn't work on our cars IMO because our cars use GVIF (Gigabyte Video Interface) as video input.

Last edited by Sean W; 11-18-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Please note:

Thanks.
Well done Bill and Sean!!! Picture tells a thousand words.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Well done Bill and Sean!!! Picture tells a thousand words.
Thank you. Bill created it off of my rudimentary wiring diagram. When my wife saw my diagram she said "Yep, that's going right up on the refrigerator":-). Bill's PDF brings life to the diagram.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:10 PM
Received 694 Likes on 345 Posts

Saved by the Autool gauge!

Driving home today I got an alert from my OBD gauge and sure enough my water temp was quickly climbing past 220. Turns out the water pump bearing had abruptly failed and dumped the coolant (well, a fast steam anyway). This is one purchase that paid for itself quickly!

The following 4 users liked this post by mhminnich:
Bill Mack (11-19-2020), Cee Jay (11-18-2020), harleydave (01-05-2021), ralphwg (11-19-2020)