XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Non-Operational Convertible top help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 06:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Non-Operational Convertible top help

Hoping someone can figure this one out. 2011 XKR convertible.
I wanted to clean and treat the convertible top rubber seals and other areas that you normally can't get to with the top in either the fully closed or the fully open positions. So I left it in the half way open position. Seemed to be working fine till the back cover decided to fall slowly down and the back of the top decided to do the same thing. Neither cover locked but just went into the down position. At this point I thought I could just turn the ignition on and activate the top. Nope, nothing happened.
Did a search here and also checked the manual that refers to resetting the top. Went in the trunk and turned the knob on the pump a full turn counter clockwise. Lifted the rear cover and folded in the convertible top then placed the rear cover back down without locking per the owner's manual.
My battery is also fully charged and on a Ctek charger.
Proceeded to try activating the top again both with the ignition on and with the car running. All it does is hum but doesn't do anything at all.
Any suggestions? Am I missing something?
Thanks!

Old 04-25-2021, 07:44 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Fuzzy, follow the reset instructions to get the top folded into the trunk with the tonneau closed. Then start the engine and hold the operator button in the close position for 90 seconds. At any point after the 60 second mark the top should close and latch.

(edit) I just thought and I didn't mention to do this. Did you close the knob on the pump before operating it?

Last edited by JackJohn; 04-25-2021 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by JackJohn
Fuzzy, follow the reset instructions to get the top folded into the trunk with the tonneau closed. Then start the engine and hold the operator button in the closed position for 90 seconds. At any point after the 60 second mark the top should close and latch.
Thanks, gave it a try but nothing happened.
Am I supposed to do anything with the pump screw after rotating counter clockwise one turn?

Old 04-25-2021, 08:14 PM

Re-read the reset instructions and looks like I was supposed to turn the pump screw clockwise one full turn once I got all the panels in the down position.
Did this and gave it another try but nothing again.
The drop does drop down a bit like it's trying to latch but doesn't. I then reverse the switch to try and get the top to go up but it goes up about an inch then stops.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Go to the following thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...earned-130852/
There you will find information regarding convertible top issues. In that thread look for whitexkr's postings. He is the convertible top guru for X150s. He invented the remote top controller which probably is the single best aftermarket item you can get for your XKR. He follows the Forum fairly closely and may show-up on this thread at any time. If he doesn't then you can pm him for help. Steve is a real gentleman and more than likely will offer you is assistance. Good luck in solving your issue.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Go to the following thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...earned-130852/
There you will find information regarding convertible top issues. In that thread look for whitexkr's postings. He is the convertible top guru for X150s. He invented the remote top controller which probably is the single best aftermarket item you can get for your XKR. He follows the Forum fairly closely and may show-up on this thread at any time. If he doesn't then you can pm him for help. Steve is a real gentleman and more than likely will offer you is assistance. Good luck in solving your issue.
Thanks, I'll check out the thread and see if any of the suggestions work.
If not, I'll reach out to whitexkr for advice.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:55 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had problems with my top before, once it was due to the luggage separator not being positioned correctly (which prevented my top from moving at all).

Another time it was after I disconnected my battery for service and the top would only move a small amount. I learned (from a mechanic on JustAnswer) that the windows have to be initialized for the top to operate properly. He asked if the one-touch feature for the windows working? And if not, to do the following on both windows (which fixed the issue for me): 1. Operate the window switch until the window is fully closed, continue to hold the switch in the closed position for 3 seconds. 2. Release the switch, and again hold in the closed position for 3 seconds. 3. Operate the switch to open the window and once the window is opened continue hold the switch for 3 seconds. 4. Release the switch. Again, hold the switch in the open position for 3 seconds. 5. Verify the one-touch window feature is operating properly.

Not sure of either of these will help you, but they are both good things for XK convertible owners to know...

Good luck.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

When you partially open the top and leave it that way after a few moments the hydraulic pressure drops and the top or cover will shift, as you have unfortunately found out. At this point the electronics and the mechanics are out of sync.

You have correctly attempted to reset the system. The only thing in your description that sounds unusual is 'one turn clockwise' to restore the pump. You should turn the bolt clockwise until it stops (but do not force it beyond) otherwise it will be in a partially on and partially off position, which may be the source of the humming you are hearing.

Remember the cover in the boot (trunk) must be deployed and the trunk itself must be shut for the top to operate. Make sure that you press the tonneau cover firmly down since it will not be latched after a manual reset. If it is not sitting flush, have a helper press it down while you attempt to operate the top. As stated above, the windows must also be reset, but if your battery is good and charged and you have not disconnected it I do not think that was a factor here.

The following 3 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
cstanard (04-30-2021), ralphwg (04-26-2021), Stuart S (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Steven07XK
I have had problems with my top before, once it was due to the luggage separator not being positioned correctly (which prevented my top from moving at all).

Another time it was after I disconnected my battery for service and the top would only move a small amount. I learned (from a mechanic on JustAnswer) that the windows have to be initialized for the top to operate properly. He asked if the one-touch feature for the windows working? And if not, to do the following on both windows (which fixed the issue for me): 1. Operate the window switch until the window is fully closed, continue to hold the switch in the closed position for 3 seconds. 2. Release the switch, and again hold in the closed position for 3 seconds. 3. Operate the switch to open the window and once the window is opened continue hold the switch for 3 seconds. 4. Release the switch. Again, hold the switch in the open position for 3 seconds. 5. Verify the one-touch window feature is operating properly.

Not sure of either of these will help you, but they are both good things for XK convertible owners to know...

Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion but in my case I didn't disconnect the battery and I do get movement of the top although not enough to open and close.
I'm going to use WhiteXKR's suggestions and try it again.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:57 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

No problem. I would definitely check to see if your valve is completely closed too - and its good to know you may have to hold the cover down sometimes.

One more thing I think I should mention - on mine - the top would open a few inches and stop. Then it would not open any further or close. I had to wait a bit, then hold my finger on the close button for awhile (at least a minute - probably more) before it closed. Once closed I tested to see if my windows went up and down with one push, and my passenger side didn't.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Steven07XK
No problem. I would definitely check to see if your valve is completely closed too - and its good to know you may have to hold the cover down sometimes.

One more thing I think I should mention - on mine - the top would open a few inches and stop. Then it would not open any further or close. I had to wait a bit, then hold my finger on the close button for awhile (at least a minute - probably more) before it closed. Once closed I tested to see if my windows went up and down with one push, and my passenger side didn't.
Thanks for the info.
I'll report back how things go.

The following users liked this post:
Glide63 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 02:47 PM

Just wanted to update everyone.
Double checked the reset screw. It was snugged down in the clockwise position.
Had a friend press the top switch while I pressed the top down. Sure enough, it latched up.
Then reversed and opened the top and it worked perfectly!
I wanted to thank everyone for the kind input and advice.
Now I have to move on to the valley hoses, supercharger damper, and water pump! LOL!

The following 4 users liked this post by fuzzyhippo:
cstanard (04-30-2021), fxdwg (04-29-2021), kj07xk (04-29-2021), ralphwg (04-29-2021)