XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Non regular switch off

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 06:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Non regular switch off

Annoyed that I could not switch of my XK (2007 model) i experimented with the button. Found that if it is kept depressed for more that 5 seconds, the car will switch off in any position of the gear lever. Good news for moving the car in garage...... as in neutral the parking brake remains off.
BUT! My question is for those who know.
Apparently the assistance of the steering pump is speed dependent. After engine switch off in drive mode, the car can be restarted the button as usual, HOWEVER the steering remains heavy untill next regular switch-off! Why????? Where is teh regulating mechanism to be found??
What else remains in a sort default mode after such switch-off????

Any comments and/or help will be highly appreciated

Old 05-10-2017, 07:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum JAG shaker,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XK/XKR forum. This is the plce to post technical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by JAG shaker
BUT! My question is for those who know.
Apparently the assistance of the steering pump is speed dependent. After engine switch off in drive mode, the car can be restarted the button as usual, HOWEVER the steering remains heavy untill next regular switch-off! Why????? Where is teh regulating mechanism to be found??
What else remains in a sort default mode after such switch-off????

Any comments and/or help will be highly appreciated
My experience so far is that the electronics on these cars are similar to a buggy version of Windows Vista. If the car doesn't boot up and shut down correctly every time it'll take a while for everything to work like it should. I think it has to do with how the different networks work together for the function to compliment each other. This is by far the 'buggiest' car I've ever dealt with. It's almost like old man Lucas did get the final laugh after Ford canned their electronics.

Last night I was replacing some burnt lamps in my tail light housings so I'd power up the chassis and then turn it off via the start / stop button without starting it. As I had the hatch open even after the car went back to 'sleep' and the interior lamps went out I could hear the NAV DVD player running and the aspirator fan for the interior temperature was too. They didn't shut down until I closed the hatch and hit the key fob lock. The system just bugged out and didn't go to sleep correctly.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
The system just bugged out and didn't go to sleep correctly.
That is by design and is called convenience mode. They should go to sleep after around 30 minutes if you don't lock the car and a lot sooner if you do.

The following users liked this post:
Ranchero50 (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by u102768
That is by design and is called convenience mode. They should go to sleep after around 30 minutes if you don't lock the car and a lot sooner if you do.
That makes sense but from a practical perspective neither feature needs to run. The aspirator fan moves air so slowly that I get frozen out of the car if it's warm inside and cool outside on an evening startup. The DVD serves no purpose either since the NAV unit is powered down. Perhaps buggy is the wrong term. Quirky maybe? Either way the car never left convenience mode with the hatch up nor will it with the hood open.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Either way the car never left convenience mode with the hatch up nor will it with the hood open.
Totally agree that some of the things that stay on during convenience mode are pointless but I wonder why yours doesn't drop out of convenience mode with the hatch and hood open. As an experiment, I have just left both mine open when I got home from work and it had gone to sleep half an hour later, as expected.