XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Northerners mourn: hibernation time upon us

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015 | 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

In Northern Utah here, "Greatest Snow on Earth". But anyway, even though it does snow here, it's mostly in the mountains. My house is at 4200 foot elevation, and it depends on how the winter shapes up on a per-year kind of deal. Two years ago we got record snow and I couldn't drive the XKR for about a month total. Last year it was clear nearly the whole time, with snowy roads and a small amount of salt for about MAYBE a week. Spring was early also, with trees budding and grass growing by the end of March. The last snow that stuck was the middle of February. The MOUNTAINS were still packed with the horrid white stuff though.

Old 11-08-2015 | 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Its time to shut it down... ran over dead deer carcass and cracked my splitter... Ugh.. goes in shop for 700 dollars worth of work Friday.

Old 11-08-2015 | 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

if it was the RS - 5-6 thousand?

Old 11-08-2015 | 10:10 PM
|

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Its time to shut it down... ran over dead deer carcass and cracked my splitter... Ugh.. goes in shop for 700 dollars worth of work Friday.
That really sucks Loth.

Would be interested to hear more about what happened.

Generally in nature, you never hear of a Jaguar eating pre-killed game.

Sorry, too soon? (Lol) .

Old 11-09-2015 | 12:11 AM

At rest for the winter, pj's and all.

Attached Thumbnails Northerners mourn: hibernation time upon us-image.jpeg  
Old 11-10-2015 | 12:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
if it was the RS - 5-6 thousand?
When I bought my XKR-S used (6k miles on it), the front splitter was cracked. Negotiated with the dealer to have them replace it, and they were able to find an OEM one for about $4k I think. I plan to pick up a spare at some point as Jaguar CF is notoriously thin.

Hoping it was not the XKR-S that hit the deer. I've driven over one before too on I-94 in MI, but I was in my LR3 fortunately, so the front skids took the impact and there was no damage.

Damn deer...

Old 11-17-2015 | 04:12 PM

Hello all...great weather (for Michigan) today and took the Jag out for some fun. I think there is one more good day left. If not will have to put it away for the winter.

Old 11-17-2015 | 04:13 PM

oops..wrong forum...

Old 11-21-2015 | 01:21 AM

Yup
I saw some salt in a parking lot yesterday morning which means it is officially time to plug in the battery tender and throw on the cover
Sad day alright

Old 11-21-2015 | 07:23 AM
Veteran Member

Just curious but what is you process for winter storage regarding your fuel. Considering that ethanol will gel in 30 -60 days are you using an additive to prevent this. Also do you store with a full tank or with what ever you have left when you park it. I assume the car is washed and dried and the leather is treated . How about the tires , do you just over inflate them or do you have tire pillows to prevent winter flat spotting. Last is what is your rodent control. .

Old 11-21-2015 | 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
At rest for the winter, pj's and all.
That may be the greatest car cover I've ever seen. Hard to believe I woke up on a Saturday morning breaking Commandments right out of the gate, but...I'm coveting!!!

The following users liked this post:
ndy.boyd (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015 | 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just curious but what is you process for winter storage regarding your fuel. Considering that ethanol will gel in 30 -60 days are you using an additive to prevent this. Also do you store with a full tank or with what ever you have left when you park it. I assume the car is washed and dried and the leather is treated . How about the tires , do you just over inflate them or do you have tire pillows to prevent winter flat spotting. Last is what is your rodent control. .
Question wasn't directed at me, but:

1) Add Stabil to the fuel for winter storage
2) Full tank to prevent any condensation
3) Full wash inc. undercarriage and interior detail including leather conditioning. I wax my other cars in the spring every year, but not the XKR-S as it has OptiCoat applied- I just use a spray wax after each wash.
4) Tires, I don't do anything special. Flat spots seem to resolve themselves after a few days in the spring. I've read that modern radials are immune to permanent damage from flat-spotting.
5) Rodent control, I use dryer sheets in the interior, engine compartment, and boot. Also stuff rags in the tailpipes and then place traps around the garage.
6) Battery hooked up to the C-Tek charger in winter mode
7) Custom fit satin indoor cover from CoverKing

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 11-21-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-21-2015 | 06:02 PM

Yeah, sad day. Washed Krazy Kat, wiped the leather with some meguires wraps and covered him with his cover (why do folks call everything a "her"?). I have opticoat pro too so skip the wax. What is "winter" mode with the CTEK? Not on mine. Original battery on a 2010, so figure spring time I'm due for a new one. New tires too with 3/32 on the original Dunlops at 20k miles.

Oh well, in the dead of winter I sometimes sneak into the garage, pull back the cover and sit in the drivers seat looking forward to better weather. A little sick, huh? I'm sure that this forum understands though..

Old 11-21-2015 | 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AVMiii
What is "winter" mode with the CTEK? Not on mine.
I have the CTEK MUS 4.3: CTEK Multi US 4.3 - CTEK Battery ChargersCTEK Battery Chargers

There are 4 different modes for the charger, and the third one with the snowflake is supposedly for "optimized charging during cold winter days." How it actually functions differently is over my head.

Originally Posted by AVMiii
Oh well, in the dead of winter I sometimes sneak into the garage, pull back the cover and sit in the drivers seat looking forward to better weather. A little sick, huh? I'm sure that this forum understands though..
I do the same thing, so you're not alone!

Old 11-22-2015 | 06:21 AM

Our winter storage process is similar to other postings with a few minor differences:

- Startron marine stabilizer and ethanol control in full tank of gas. Run car for a few miles to get treated gas though entire system.
- Wash exterior and clean/condition leather (I wax car with Pinnacle Souveran wax twice a year)
- Vacuum interior
- If you wash car just before putting it away, make sure the brake rotors are dry
- Change oil/filter even though we only put about 4k miles on it
- Insure recommended tire pressure
- Dryer sheet in interior, container of mothballs on floor under engine, kitty litter in container next to garage doors (suppose to keep chipmunks and mice away)
- Battery maintainer
- Car cover
- I also park the car on a rubber mat (all year) to keep any moisture on the garage floor getting to the underside of the car

Old 11-23-2015 | 08:07 AM
Default Inexpensive Solution

For those who live where winters are cold and keep your Jag in a garage, get a vent-free, dual-fuel garage wall heater. I've had mine for 30 years! (ProCom Vent-Free Dual Fuel Blue Flame Wall Heater — 20,000 BTU, Model# MNSD200TBA | Dual-Fuel: Gas Propane Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment).
It's especially nice if your home uses natural gas. For $179, plus the cost to run a natural gas line into your garage, you can keep your cat warm all winter allowing you to work on her and detail her to your heart's content! And, because it's 99% efficient, there's no need for a vent or chimney! My goal is not to keep my garage at 72 degrees. Instead, thanks to the unit's thermostat, I can keep my garage at 50 degrees which also means I don't have to bring waxes, polishing compounds, touch-up paints, etc. into my house for the winter. If you don't have natural gas, it also runs on propane and they even have the same model at the same price that runs on electricity! Best of all, it would make a very thoughtful Christmas gift for you to give to your wife. Just tell her you love her so much that you don't want her to have to get into a cold car, with cold seats and a cold steering wheel! That way, you'll end up with the garage heater you want ... and you may even get lucky to boot!

Old 11-23-2015 | 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Snide72
For those who live where winters are cold and keep your Jag in a garage, get a vent-free, dual-fuel garage wall heater. I've had mine for 30 years! (ProCom Vent-Free Dual Fuel Blue Flame Wall Heater — 20,000 BTU, Model# MNSD200TBA | Dual-Fuel: Gas Propane Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment).
It's especially nice if your home uses natural gas. For $179, plus the cost to run a natural gas line into your garage, you can keep your cat warm all winter allowing you to work on her and detail her to your heart's content! And, because it's 99% efficient, there's no need for a vent or chimney! My goal is not to keep my garage at 72 degrees. Instead, thanks to the unit's thermostat, I can keep my garage at 50 degrees which also means I don't have to bring waxes, polishing compounds, touch-up paints, etc. into my house for the winter. If you don't have natural gas, it also runs on propane and they even have the same model at the same price that runs on electricity! Best of all, it would make a very thoughtful Christmas gift for you to give to your wife. Just tell her you love her so much that you don't want her to have to get into a cold car, with cold seats and a cold steering wheel! That way, you'll end up with the garage heater you want ... and you may even get lucky to boot!
I've been looking into getting a garage heater. I'll take a look at that model. Unfortunately, the previous owner of my house installed very cheap garage doors that are not insulated at all. So I will need to replace those first before getting a heater, which makes the whole job a lot more expensive.

Old 11-29-2015 | 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Default The end is near

Well I've prep'ed the car with stabilizer and a full tank of gas. I'm not quite ready to give up as I have a tee time of 10:00 tomorrow with weather predicted 46*F and sunny. So it will be another top down journey and maybe one of the last for the season. Enjoy the ride.

Old 12-01-2015 | 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Debating whether to call it a season this weekend. Was hoping to make until Christmas before putting my car into storage.

Old 12-01-2015 | 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Debating whether to call it a season this weekend. Was hoping to make until Christmas before putting my car into storage.
I guess you would call my way of storage as temporary storage. The reason I consider this is because I have the car on a 4 post lift with the cover on it. I can take it down anytime I want and it only takes about 10 minutes to be out and running. Just need to back out the daily driver , lower the lift and uncover the car and off I go. So if there is no ice or snow the car is available to drive. Also when the roads get dry and the salt is washed away (around March) then it's ready to go. Hoping I can stretch it into the end of Jan. but we'll just have to see.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (12-01-2015)

Quick Reply: Northerners mourn: hibernation time upon us