XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Not electrics issue, but there is power available

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 05:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not electrics issue, but there is power available

Hello,

I am looking for a help with incredible problem I have encountered.

The car was stationary for about 2 weeks. When I tried to start it it looked like the battery was not having enough power - ignition came on, when i pressed the start button, the car attempted to start and then it looked like it rebooted - all shut down and then ignition came back on again.

So thinking this is just a battery problem I hooked jump leads and tried again. But instead the car went completely dead. Now it pretends it has no power. The key will not be released from the centre console. The window will not shut properly when doors are shut leaving a gap. However at the same time the front hazard lights are on (Front only for some reason) and the boot had a light on (before I closed it, now I cant open it as the button does not react)

Did anyone experience anything similar? Could your recommend me what to try next?

Old 04-02-2022, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Put your battery on charge overnight and all issues will be resolved the same thing happened to me when I was doing my chains and left the car in neutral running the battery flat

Old 04-02-2022, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. You'll find lots of knowledgeable and helpful members here. But you need to help us help you. It appears that you didn't read this thread:
New members - a MUST read
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/

Here's a screenshot, but click the above link and read the entire thread.

This is your existing your Public Profile. You need to fix it to include details of your car. And please create a Signature.

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

See your Owner's Handbook for advice regarding proper battery charger connections. They're different for 4.2L and 5.0L models. That's why you need to tell us about your car.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:32 AM

Thanks for your reply. The car now wont even open the boot so that is the other issue I am facing. Need an emergency release for that.

Driving 2006 Jaguar XK 4.2 purchased in the UK and used as daily driver.

Last edited by Shenecek; 04-02-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:34 AM

Hi Stuart,

Apologies for skipping the signature. It should be visible now.

The problem is not the battery as such I dont think. The car does not react to jump leads either. Nothing happens at all which is mightily odd. Right now I cant even make the boot open to get to the battery.

Old 04-02-2022, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Shenecek
Hi Stuart,

The problem is not the battery as such I dont think. The car does not react to jump leads either. Nothing happens at all which is mightily odd. Right now I cant even make the boot open to get to the battery.
Those sentences are at odds..... how can "nothing happen" if you can't get to the battery to jump?
Also, there are external jump points under the car behind the left-rear wheel well. Well, a jump point for Positive and then several places to use Chassis Ground.

The following users liked this post:
Shenecek (04-03-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Stuart,

What type of device are you using to charge your battery, and how is it connected to your car?

Are you aware that there's a conventional lock behind your license plate (tag) to open the boot?
Do you have the Owner's Handbook?

Your updated Public Profile is now visible. That's not the same thing as your Signature, which automatically appears at the bottom of your posts. Mine includes lots of details. Some Forum members don't have a signature, but they should. It helps others to reply to your questions.

You don't have to write a separate post to say "thanks". Simply click on the button on the bottom right of that post.

P.S. See: How to Edit Your Signature

Last edited by Stuart S; 04-02-2022 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Added P.S
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Shenecek (04-03-2022), steve_k_xk (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

The battery has drained and no matter how much cranking amps you put through it with a jump start it will not fire up . Remove your number plate and use the key blade which is located in the fob to open the trunk/boot giving you access to your battery.

Once in charge your battery overnight and as stated before all the issues with windows dropping lights going on and off will be all be resolved sometimes you can even have hazard lights & wipers going nuts when the battery voltage is too low when attempting to start

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 04-03-2022 at 04:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sean W (04-03-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 10:41 AM

Now I finally managed to find my second key (first being stuck in central console) and opened the boot to check the battery, battery is fine but there seems to be a - loss somewhere in the car itself.. Do you know if there is anywhere electrical schematics and lay down schematics available for download? (edit: I believe I found it using search here on the forums)

@Cee Jay Not in odds at all. I used the external + point for the jump leads.

Last edited by Shenecek; 04-03-2022 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-03-2022, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Now I finally managed to find my second key (first being stuck in central console) and opened the boot to check the battery, battery is fine but there seems to be a - loss somewhere in the car itself.. Do you know if there is anywhere electrical schematics and lay down schematics available for download? (edit: I believe I found it using search here on the forums)

@Cee Jay Not in odds at all. I used the external + point for the jump leads.
Hi @Shenecek We've read many threads where folks have said their battery was fine and it wasn't. To take the battery out of the equation, please tell us what the battery voltage is at the terminals. Few will give additional assistance without that info. Not trying to be rude but it is the most likely cause and certainly the starting point. let us know the resting voltage please.