XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Not Valid Key Blade Code?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,375 Likes on 3,183 Posts
Unhappy Not Valid Key Blade Code?

I have my four digit Emergency Key Blade Code, and had a key cut from it three years ago. So I go to have another cut (Dang Grandson lost the other one, WITH the Smart Key. Yay) and now none of the four Lock Smiths I visited can even pull up any information with the same code I used before. They say it doesn't even reference "Jaguar".
Has anyone else had that happen? If so, was it rectified? Was a prefix or suffix used along with the four-digit code? Mine starts with a zero, then three other digits.
Like I stated, it worked before but not now. I emailed my dealer but have not heard back. Besides, nearly a 100 mile round trip so don't want to go that route plus their asinine markup for cutting a key blank I already have.
So, wassup??????????

Old 10-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Same key blade is used on Volvos and Land Rovers.

The key design is a "T10" I believe.

I had a spare blade cut by my local locksmith, but he copied the existing key that I had.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

A good locksmith should be able to copy the hard key profile from the trunk lock. The hard part will be machining the key blank.

I'd think the dealer would be able to get you a copy based off the VIN. Have you called them to at least ask? I've never gotten a reply to an email sent to any company beyond a sales guy.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
A good locksmith should be able to copy the hard key profile from the trunk lock. The hard part will be machining the key blank.

I'd think the dealer would be able to get you a copy based off the VIN. Have you called them to at least ask? I've never gotten a reply to an email sent to any company beyond a sales guy.
I already have the code, given to my BY the dealer (service guy at the dealership, actually) from my VIN. I'm positive that dealer CAN make me a key, and also relieve me of several million pennies along with it, plus three hours of my time. I'm pretty positive I could remove the boot cylinder and machine a key myself, as I've done that sort of stuff quite a few times, but I don't WANT to have to do that. There are a lot more projects for me that far out-prioritize doing it myself.
Truth be told, I've never used the EKB, other than testing it for operation.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,290 Likes on 3,452 Posts

Several years ago, I had a blank emergency key that I bought for cheap on eBay laser cut by a local locksmith for $35. It's double sided and he copied the pattern from the OEM key that I had. No code needed. I know that's expensive to cut a key, but he explained that his laser machine was expensive and he had to charge more than a normal key to recover that cost. My Jaguar dealer did not have the capability to cut that key.

if you have an emergency key that works, you don't need the code.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Which I don't, so therefore the code...

Old 10-30-2017, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
Same key blade is used on Volvos and Land Rovers.

The key design is a "T10" I believe.

I had a spare blade cut by my local locksmith, but he copied the existing key that I had.
I went to the LR dealer near me; they don't cut keys, but order them from Jaguar. Mega-$$$$. Service dude said over $300 for one. I paid $32 for my last cut.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,290 Likes on 3,452 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I went to the LR dealer near me; they don't cut keys, but order them from Jaguar. Mega-$$$$. Service dude said over $300 for one. I paid $32 for my last cut.
That price must be for the fob, and not just the emergency key blade. Maybe Jaguar doesn't sell the blade separately.

P.S. Lots of them are available for under $10 on eBay.

Last edited by Stuart S; 10-31-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
That price must be for the fob, and not just the emergency key blade. Maybe Jaguar doesn't sell the blade separately.

P.S. Lots of them are available for under $10 on eBay.
Back to the original problem...... nobody can CUT a blank, of which I already have (bought on eBay, two for $12) because my Key Code is invalid according to four Lock Smiths and their myriad computer programs and code books.
To have that LR dealer get a cut key, as I stated, was to order one directly from JLR in Coventry. Lots of $$$, just for the Emergency Key Blade, cut for my VIN. They can also order me the Smart Key WITH the Cut Key Blade for $480, but will still have to be programmed to my car with Jaguar software. That alone costs a ton. This particular LR dealer does not cut key blades, and I never asked about programming a new Smart Key as I don't need one.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,990 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Hmmm... How about intensifying the search for the one that the grandson 'lost'? How much ground and time did the kid cover? Buy a metal detector (if you don't have one), and go on a treasure hunt, retracing his steps.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Hmmm... How about intensifying the search for the one that the grandson 'lost'? How much ground and time did the kid cover? Buy a metal detector (if you don't have one), and go on a treasure hunt, retracing his steps.
Good idea, but he lost it while I was moving after buying a different house. It could very well be in a thousand different locations in a house I no longer own. He could have brought it home with him, but now his parents also moved after selling THEIR home. It could be in the trash, like happened with my wife's old Grand Cherokee key years ago...... I Gave Up after four days of searching everywhere I could think.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:08 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Alright I just looked this up.

You can order a pre-cut emergency key using p/n C2Z3903, the UK retail price is £101, or about $135 USD, plus VAT of course.

When you order that p/n you provide your VIN, and a blank will be cut "in the factory" accordingly, you receive a cut key that should just work.

Just about any Jaguar or Land Rover parts supplier should be able to sort you out with this, maybe start at SNG Barratt, since they are a forum sponsor/vendor and will probably offer a discount to forum members...

The following 4 users liked this post by Cambo:
Cee Jay (10-31-2017), kj07xk (10-31-2017), ralphwg (11-02-2017), Stuart S (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,990 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Also, if the grandson lost the blade, along with the smart key, you are down to just one smart key and no working blade?
Think I'd bite the bullet and go whole hog and get another smart key with a cut blade.
If that single smart key goes belly up on you, you're screwed.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Also, if the grandson lost the blade, along with the smart key, you are down to just one smart key and no working blade?
Think I'd bite the bullet and go whole hog and get another smart key with a cut blade.
If that single smart key goes belly up on you, you're screwed.
I already thought of this, but have been sort of putting it off. Maybe next time semi-near the dealer I'll do it.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

I got the "Full Key Code" from the Jaguar Dealer, who got it directly from Jaguar in Coventry; it needed a Country Code Prefix, a "1" in my case.
BUT...
Evidently NO locksmith in Utah is capable of cutting a Jaguar key from the code, as two places tried, and both failed. A third refused to try. For MY benefit, they used cheap blanks that they had already with the same profile. All it cost me was time and fuel running around.
No, I still won't pay the $243 the dealer wants to get a cut key straight from Jaguar. I'll pull out my Boot Lock and make a key to fit it during the next few months. I've done it before, not difficult, but I sure don't WANT to do it. I've other things to get done. This time I will make seven spares so this doesn't happen again.
Sucks to be me.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

I know someone with a CNC mill...

Trick part is getting a good scan of the profile and a reference dimension to recreate the profile dimensions from the image. I do it at work on occasion to figure out undocumented dimensions on repair part prints.

Good clear 2d pic or scan to email from a copier will work. The blank is just aluminum so I don't see anything technical about cutting it other than holding the little bugger. Send me some pics and I'll see if I can make the magic happen.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
I know someone with a CNC mill...

Trick part is getting a good scan of the profile and a reference dimension to recreate the profile dimensions from the image. I do it at work on occasion to figure out undocumented dimensions on repair part prints.

Good clear 2d pic or scan to email from a copier will work. The blank is just aluminum so I don't see anything technical about cutting it other than holding the little bugger. Send me some pics and I'll see if I can make the magic happen.
Cool, man. I've always done it the Analog way........... dremel material then stick it in and see if'n it works.... then dremel again, check, dremel........ etc. Once I get it out and apart I'll send some pics, if feasible and informative.

Annnnddd..... I just thought of something.......
Are these keys/locks along the same design as the older Fords? IE; does only one side NEED to be cut? I SEEM to remember that both sides of my lost key was cut, but did it NEED to be cut? On my old Fords, I'd cut one key with two profiles so I didn't need two keys for two vehicles. The shops that tried to cut with my code may not have done both sides, I never noticed or asked. They DID try it both ways, so there's that...

Old 11-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Both sides are cut. Not sure how important it is. I just need a pic / scan of the key itself with a good definition of the profile. I was looking at mine as I typed the above reply. Shouldn't be terrible to do and I'll tinker with mine first on some scrap aluminum.