XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

OBD2 display in ashtray location

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Woo hoo...it worked on a different laptop. What is the reason for this? I'll like to use my surface pro 6 for updates.
There are four sayings that immediately spring to mind.

1) User error
2) RTFM
3) A poor workman always blames his tools
4) It's the operator not the puter

But seriously, am.glad it worked out for you...in the end

Old 09-24-2020, 12:42 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
There are four sayings that immediately spring to mind.

1) User error
2) RTFM
3) A poor workman always blames his tools
4) It's the operator not the puter

But seriously, am.glad it worked out for you...in the end
I would not give up on this. I thought I may have a defective circuit board and would need to take it apart and start soldering a new board in place. Going out for an ADU test drive soon. Thanks Bob for the clever device and walking me through this!

Last edited by DGL; 09-24-2020 at 12:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
Cabrio Bob (09-24-2020), MarkyUK (09-25-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Received 312 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabrio Bob
- surface pro ... that's tablet right? maybe that's the problem.
Originally Posted by DGL
Woo hoo...it worked on a different laptop. What is the reason for this? I'll like to use my surface pro 6 for updates.
Glad it worked out, but the reason remains unknown (although there was a hint).
solution probably: use Microsoft software, avoid Microsoft hardware.

Last edited by Cabrio Bob; 09-24-2020 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DGL (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 06:56 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

More feedback:

The device is a perfect fit and looks OEM. Kudos to Bob. The OBD2 dongle, v-gate, lost connection a few times while I was out for a drive. The led display IMO should be a bit brighter--I had to look hard to see it at night. The placement is excellent making the ashtray useful; however, my right arm is always in the way of glancing at it. As a result, I always need to reposition my arm to check on a reading. This is so much better than using the torque app on my phone.

Last edited by DGL; 09-24-2020 at 07:04 PM.
MarkyUK (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 06:22 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL

The device is a perfect fit and looks OEM. Kudos to Bob. The OBD2 dongle, v-gate, lost connection a few times while I was out for a drive.
Is the dongle securely fitted into the OBD II socket in the car? If the fit is 'loose' a couple of turns of electrical tape should hold it tighter maybe?

Originally Posted by DGL
The led display IMO should be a bit brighter--I had to look hard to see it at night.
I haven't noticed this and find the brightness of the display to be 'just right' for me. But I do prefer panel illumination etc to be dimmer rather than brighter anyway.

Originally Posted by DGL
The placement is excellent making the ashtray useful; however, my right arm is always in the way of glancing at it. As a result, I always need to reposition my arm to check on a reading.
Interesting. I haven't found this, but of course my car has the steering wheel on the right side (literally as well as metaphorically ) so maybe that accounts for it

Originally Posted by DGL
This is so much better than using the torque app on my phone.
It sure is. On my long road trips through Europe, I have been using Torque Pro on a second phone (my primary phone is displaying Waze). Mrs Barnsie insists on having her own phone charging and sitting on a magnetic mount shoved into the air vent on her side of the car, so this means I am driving with three phones hanging off my dash! Not an ideal look. Bob's ADU solves one of those problems. And even better, it is permanently there, unlike my Torque Pro app which I only used for long, fast drives. The ADU really does give me peace of mind about my coolant temperature. I will never know why Jaguar denied us this information in the first place - if there was no room for physical gauges, they had plenty of room in the in-dash display for an additional screen showing temperature, volts etc. Most serious car enthusiasts want to know these things IMO!

The following 2 users liked this post by barnsie:
DGL (09-25-2020), MarkyUK (09-26-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
More feedback:

The device is a perfect fit and looks OEM. Kudos to Bob. The OBD2 dongle, v-gate, lost connection a few times while I was out for a drive. The led display IMO should be a bit brighter--I had to look hard to see it at night. The placement is excellent making the ashtray useful; however, my right arm is always in the way of glancing at it. As a result, I always need to reposition my arm to check on a reading. This is so much better than using the torque app on my phone.
The lost connection is probably a 5.0 thing. MarkyUK had the same initially, solved by a less frequent data request of the ELM327.
The dim light at night is personal, I personally have it set a bit brighter also. (you'll have to code this yourself without the EZ-update).
and I'm lucky that I'm left-handed I guess.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cabrio Bob:
DGL (09-25-2020), MarkyUK (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 10:13 PM
Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a general question here. I still LOVE the display, no issues, lost connection once, it restored 20 seconds later. No issues

The oil level though........ How reliable/accurate do we think that is? it is saying I have 1.32 Gallons of oil. I just did an oil change the other day (like 3 days ago), and I put in 7L (1.85 Gallons). There is no oil slick beneath my car, the Electronic dipstick seems to be happy, and the car hasn't blown up. and I have only driven <200 miles, I can't imagine I lost .5Gallons in 3 days. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2020, 01:34 AM

Oil level: The OBD2 in the car reports it in liters,
I convert this to gallons by multiplying it by 0.264172.
As for the connection lost, this seems to be a 5.0 model thing. In a next update I'll add 50 milliseconds delay to the data request frequency.

Shipments to USA and Canada:
PostNL made a delay statement on 22 September.
probably also applicable for Canada

Hurricane Sally operates on the southeast coast of the United States, causing heavy rains and flooding in the Florida and Alabama regions. There are no reports of flight cancellations on our scheduled flights, but we do allow for delays when it comes to delivery in these regions.

As previously communicated, we are seeing major delays at the destination USA. Due to limited capacity, the United States Postal Service (USPS) has difficulty handling the high volumes of mail and parcels. In some cases the delay can be as much as 6 weeks. We are aware of the issues facing USPS. We work closely with them every day to get shipments on the best possible routes. While we do our utmost to resolve this as quickly as possible, we remain dependent on our partners. In order to process backlogs as quickly as possible, we also see that shipments are not scanned upon arrival in America. According to the tracking data, the shipment is on its way to the US while it is already there.The next scan event then takes place again when the shipment is processed at the local mail sorting center.

Last edited by Cabrio Bob; 09-26-2020 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:52 AM

Oil level: The OBD2 in the car reports it in liters,
I convert this to gallons by multiplying it by 0.264172.
As for the connection lost, this seems to be a 5.0 model thing. In a next update I'll add 50 milliseconds delay to the data request frequency.

Shipments to USA and Canada:
PostNL made a delay statement on 22 September.
probably also applicable for Canada
Bob - did you remember that US gallons are different to Imperial gallons? IDK if Marc is using Imperial or US. The multiplier for Imperial is 0.219969 as you know.

EDIT: From Marc's calculation of 1.85 gallons = 7L, he is using US gallons, so your conversion is, of course, correct.

This is the only forum I use where members can't delete their own posts, which I would have done with this one if it was possible. So an edit will have to suffice.

Last edited by barnsie; 09-26-2020 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Marc Voorhees
... How reliable/accurate do we think that is? it is saying I have 1.32 Gallons of oil.
I can imagine that, when the engine is running, it pumps the oil around, leaving less oil in the pan.
What you could do is leave the car off for a couple of hours,
get in the car and press the start button without touching the brake pedal.
on the device browse to the oil level screen and have a look at the readings.

barnsie (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 07:02 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

I can imagine that, when the engine is running, it pumps the oil around, leaving less oil in the pan.
What you could do is leave the car off for a couple of hours,
get in the car and press the start button without touching the brake pedal.
on the device browse to the oil level screen and have a look at the readings.
I've already done this--it is the same.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
I've already done this--it is the same.
The ADU just reads the information that the engine is sending it. I am so glad I have a proper manual dipstick - I have never liked those electronic 'dipsticks'. Only takes some sort of electrical malfunction and who knows what the engine oil level really is? I'd be happy to have both - a proper dipstick *and* the electrical readout on the dash, but not just the latter. I guess I am a bit old-school, but I know when I see an oily mark on a piece of steel that that is actually the oil level.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:18 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

I'm not tall--only 5'8" on a good day. I keep my seat lowered and back so my view of the display is more horizonal than someone tall. I noticed as I got up the display appeared much brighter without changing anything. Consequently, the display appears dimmer from a lower, more horizontal, point of view. I'm getting use to driving now more with my left arm so my right arm is not in the way. My right arm blocking a direct view probably has something to do with seat position and my height also. Love the ADU and the quality of workmanship.

The following 3 users liked this post by DGL:
barnsie (09-26-2020), Cabrio Bob (09-26-2020), MarkyUK (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 07:24 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by barnsie
The ADU just reads the information that the engine is sending it. I am so glad I have a proper manual dipstick - I have never liked those electronic 'dipsticks'. Only takes some sort of electrical malfunction and who knows what the engine oil level really is? I'd be happy to have both - a proper dipstick *and* the electrical readout on the dash, but not just the latter. I guess I am a bit old-school, but I know when I see an oily mark on a piece of steel that that is actually the oil level.
The new C8 corvettes have a problem with the brake-by-wire electronic braking system. Electronics do fail--a physical dipstick is very robust and direct. Although, I do prefer progress and electronic innovation as long is the electronic systems are idiot proof and have a backup system for critical components.

The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
barnsie (09-26-2020), MarkyUK (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 08:36 AM

I checked the oil after sitting over night, 1.85 gallons. So it moving around the engine is the cause of the weird number. Thanks all!

Cabrio Bob (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 09:30 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marc Voorhees
I checked the oil after sitting over night, 1.85 gallons. So it moving around the engine is the cause of the weird number. Thanks all!

Cabrio Bob (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by DGL

I have only 4.45 oil inch. But everything else is perfect. I love this device!!

Cabrio Bob (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 09:53 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

I changed my oil last week. Removed 7.5 liters and put back 7.5 liters. I also did a lube guard cleaning. I will change the oil again next week to get any left over contaminants out. When I do the change again I will note readings after putting 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7 and 7.5 liters back in, waiting 1 hour between adding oil. I will then check the reading every few days before starting the engine to ensure I have a save amount of oil.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:31 AM

Don't rely on the numbers showing on the ADU (or Torque)
When you've put in 7.5 liters, there is 7.5 liters inside.
(unless have a leak or you've driven around thousands of miles and consumed some)

The following 2 users liked this post by Cabrio Bob:
barnsie (09-26-2020), gmuirnz (09-27-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 11:09 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Don't rely on the numbers showing on the ADU (or Torque)
When you've put in 7.5 liters, there is 7.5 liters inside.
(unless have a leak or you've driven around thousands of miles and consumed some)
Even the inventor, Bob, calls it, ADU. We have a name for it. Once I get the readings for 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, and 7.5 liters I'll equate the readings to the actual volume of oil put in. This should be a reliable and accurate indicator of the actual oil volume.

Last edited by DGL; 09-26-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply: OBD2 display in ashtray location