XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

OBD2 display in ashtray location

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 09:02 AM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

My package has arrived too. Will be hitting my housing with some black gloss before doing the install.

Thanks Bob!

The following users liked this post:
Cabrio Bob (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 04:04 PM
Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

Hi Bob
i would really love to buy this please, desperate for temperature info particularly

i have sent you a pm, please can i be on the list for the 3rd batch. Im on the right side of the pond

Cabrio Bob (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 02:07 AM
Received 312 Likes on 147 Posts

3rd round list update:

WVChris
Bill Mack
powxxl
Tolly
wsn03

as soon as the individual electronics parts are delivered to me I can start soldering ....

The following 3 users liked this post by Cabrio Bob:
Bill Mack (11-21-2020), DGL (11-21-2020), wsn03 (11-21-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 11:32 AM

Sorry for being thick - am I right in thinking:
1. We need to buy our own case surround etc?
2. The supply of the extra bits is found in Bob's website (yes I haven't read through it yet, because I've managed to do my own head in reading more pages of this very large thread)?
Simple yes if anyone has the knowledge will be much appreciated. Thank you

Old 11-23-2020, 12:01 PM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

wsn03, you need to:
  • order a case from a 3d printing service using the files that Bob has on his website
  • buy the Bob-recommended Vgate OBDII diagnostic interface, and
  • buy a low-profile cigar-lighter USB charger such as
    this one this one
You also need to sign up with Bob, of course, so that he knows how much electronic kit to order. He will assemble all the electronic bits for the unit and send them to you for your final assembly in the case you have made.

See post #543 for more details on round 3.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mack:
Cabrio Bob (11-24-2020), wsn03 (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
wsn03, you need to:
  • order a case from a 3d printing service using the files that Bob has on his website
  • buy a low-profile cigar-lighter USB charger such as this one.
You also need to sign up with Bob, of course, so that he knows how much electronic kit to order. He will assemble all the electronic bits for the unit and send them to you for your final assembly in the case you have made.

Thank you Bill, this is a big help and I really appreciate it. That is clear enough for even my simple brain. Thanks a million

Old 11-24-2020, 10:23 AM

Wondering where all UK folks ordered their ashtray 3D print, I remember one of you had troubles ordering one?

Old 11-27-2020, 07:26 PM
Received 133 Likes on 74 Posts

I received my display today and did what I think is the install with the downloads and physical install in the car. I've got a couple of questions with everything that happened.

First, am I correct that I download the ardino software first, then connect the display to my computer and then download the rest of the software? It seemed to work, but that brings up the next question.

Second, there are several libraries that are mentioned in the software manual, but after installing the first one, "Adafruit GFX", none of the others would even download. I kept getting error messages when I tried to download them. Is this correct?

Third, I was never really able to put in the additional boards manager urls. I initially tried to copy and paste, but while I could copy the link, I was never allowed to paste it. I then tried manually typing it in and that never seemed to do anything. Is there something else that needs to be done?

Lastly, after sort of meddling my way through the software install, the display gave me the tying to connect to the OBD2 message, so I took it to the car and plugged the Vgate and the display in and started the car. It immediately started showing the coolant temps and the battery voltage. I did not think to try toggling through the other screens, but these 2 readouts were whyI bought it in the first place, so I'm only mildly interested in the other screens anyway and they appeared to work.

Thanks Bob for putting this thing together. It's really pretty cool. I will say that I'm very glad I managed to get one built by you, as I don't think I'd live long enough to learn enough to build one myself!

The following 2 users liked this post by fxdwg:
barnsie (11-28-2020), Cabrio Bob (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

You have discovered what I discovered when assembling and installing the ADU in my XK. The current software is already installed. Thanks to Bob again.

Old 11-28-2020, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by fxdwg
I received my display today and did what I think is the install with the downloads and physical install in the car. I've got a couple of questions with everything that happened.

First, am I correct that I download the ardino software first, then connect the display to my computer and then download the rest of the software? It seemed to work, but that brings up the next question.

Second, there are several libraries that are mentioned in the software manual, but after installing the first one, "Adafruit GFX", none of the others would even download. I kept getting error messages when I tried to download them. Is this correct?

Third, I was never really able to put in the additional boards manager urls. I initially tried to copy and paste, but while I could copy the link, I was never allowed to paste it. I then tried manually typing it in and that never seemed to do anything. Is there something else that needs to be done?

Lastly, after sort of meddling my way through the software install, the display gave me the tying to connect to the OBD2 message, so I took it to the car and plugged the Vgate and the display in and started the car. It immediately started showing the coolant temps and the battery voltage. I did not think to try toggling through the other screens, but these 2 readouts were whyI bought it in the first place, so I'm only mildly interested in the other screens anyway and they appeared to work.

Thanks Bob for putting this thing together. It's really pretty cool. I will say that I'm very glad I managed to get one built by you, as I don't think I'd live long enough to learn enough to build one myself!
You were trying to update or install the firmware "the hard way".
It's easier to update the firmware using the "EZ-Updater x.x" download from my site following the "Manual: EZ-updater" pdf at the bottom of my site.
What ralphwg said, it already comes with the firmware pre-installed based on your type of car and units.

Last edited by Cabrio Bob; 11-28-2020 at 03:46 AM. Reason: changed colours
paulgorringe (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 06:34 AM
Received 133 Likes on 74 Posts

So I could have just put it in the printed box and put it in the car? That would have saved me a bunch of head scratching!! I have yet to install any software correctly since I started with computers in 1995. Maybe some day!

LoudHogRider (12-01-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by fxdwg
So I could have just put it in the printed box and put it in the car?
That's correct!

fxdwg (11-28-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Bob, I received mine a few weeks ago and now I'm really wishing I had bought the ELM327 from you, too. I have four of them and I thought I'd try to save a few dollars. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to update the device name and MAC address. I updated it in the ESP32_OBD_2_2_0_7 file, but when I try to verify that file I get two errors, one says "bluetoothserial.h no such file or directory" and the other says "Elmduino.h no such file or directory".

Basically, it's not as straightforward as I thought it would be. I thought I would just be able to pair it like I do with other Bluetooth devices, but I'm stuck. Please help!

My ELM 327 is called "iDiagnose" and the MAC address is 00:19:5D:B1:30:89.

Old 12-01-2020, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Bob, I received mine a few weeks ago and now I'm really wishing I had bought the ELM327 from you, too. I have four of them and I thought I'd try to save a few dollars. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to update the device name and MAC address. I updated it in the ESP32_OBD_2_2_0_7 file, but when I try to verify that file I get two errors, one says "bluetoothserial.h no such file or directory" and the other says "Elmduino.h no such file or directory".

Basically, it's not as straightforward as I thought it would be. I thought I would just be able to pair it like I do with other Bluetooth devices, but I'm stuck. Please help!

My ELM 327 is called "iDiagnose" and the MAC address is 00:19:5D:B1:30:89.
I'll prepare 2 "EZ updater" files for you tomorrow based on your ELM name and MAC address.
if that doesn't work, you can try running the "ESP32 EZ-reset tool" which you can download from my site.
Last option would be buying the ELM327 I recommended.
it's 00:42 AM here now, bedtime.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:40 AM

Sam,

I've sent you a private message.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:32 AM
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

For those prepping for Round 3, I just rec'd my 3D printed box using the strategy reported by LoudHogRider (post #503), and it arrived in good order after just a few days. With shipping it was someplace around $43.

Thanks LHR
Chris

LoudHogRider (12-12-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 09:17 AM

I also received mine, yesterday, from a NH company, Autotiv. Very good quality printing.

Thanks again, Bob, for your amazing work in creating, putting together the hardware and coding the software for this amazing device.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mack:
Cabrio Bob (12-08-2020), MarkyUK (12-08-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
wsn03, you need to:
  • buy a low-profile cigar-lighter USB charger such as this one.

Sorry for taking so long to get on with this - all this electronics stuff scares me! I'd be really happy to swap over someones upgrade Pedestrian Sensors in exchange for them doing this for me

So far I managed to order the cigar-lighter. I have even figured out the 3D print!!! Still got a long way to go though

Been on the website and there is loads of items - so I got 2 questions

1. Do I buy everything listed there (I know I have to buy the Vgate OBDII diagnostic interface)? I am on Bob's list, so don't know what that means in terms of what I am getting versus all that stuff I don't understand
2. How do I sign up with Bob? I have been added to his list, is there something else I need to do?

Thank you

Last edited by wsn03; 12-09-2020 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:49 AM

wsn03, you are good with where you are. If Bob has you listed, nothing else need be done until he contacts you for payment - he will give you instructions on how to PayPal him.

I have to run out right now, but there is a video from Bob on how to assemble the stuff he sends you and put it into the 3D printed case you are ordering. I'll try to find that video when I'm back.

wsn03 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 07:17 AM
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwx9...ature=youtu.be

Since I haven't done it yet, anyone who has could comment if there are any additional tips or tricks. I will mention that it took me a minute to wiggle out the existing ashtray insert to test fit the printed case. Kind of a 'duh' moment, but the insert was in there snuggly

CC

The following 2 users liked this post by WVChris:
Bill Mack (12-09-2020), wsn03 (12-09-2020)

Quick Reply: OBD2 display in ashtray location