OBD2 display in ashtray location

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 11:10 AM
Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

fahrenheit and kilos

thx

Old 08-20-2020, 11:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Since purchasing my 2012 XKR a few weeks ago I still find it amazing that engine data is no accessible. Even our 2011 XJL has a temperature gauge. So I commend you on your efforts to provide your ‘ashtray’ solution.
Would it be possible for your device to access and display oil pressure and transmission temperature sequentially as well as the other measurements you already show ? Also how and where does one access the data that is supplied to your device?

The following users liked this post:
RedRider48 (08-24-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 12:25 PM
Received 312 Likes on 147 Posts

Hello Tolly,
Readout of the data works through "ElmDuino", this is an Arduino library which enables an Arduino-like device to talk to the car through an ELM327.
Following this link you can see what items generally can be read out:
https://github.com/PowerBroker2/ELMd...-standard-pids (but not all cars respond to all PID's)
I also know that custom PID's can be set-up just like in Torque Pro.

Oil pressure and transmission temperature I was not able to extract ( at least not from my 2007 model),
but I know later models respond to custom PID's, see this thread and attached pdf over there:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...p-more-213503/

Old 08-20-2020, 05:23 PM

Hello Cabrio Bob,

Thank you for such a prompt and helpful reply.

I have re-read your postings on your gauge project several times and I must compliment your on your skill set in putting it all together.

Cheers, Tolly

Old 08-21-2020, 07:00 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Tolly
Since purchasing my 2012 XKR a few weeks ago I still find it amazing that engine data is no accessible. Even our 2011 XJL has a temperature gauge. So I commend you on your efforts to provide your ‘ashtray’ solution.
Would it be possible for your device to access and display oil pressure and transmission temperature sequentially as well as the other measurements you already show ? Also how and where does one access the data that is supplied to your device?
Hi Tolly. The OBD reader can only extract information which is 'provided' by the car. Unfortunately, oil pressure is not one of those, or at least not in my 2008 MY XKR. I just did a 2,000 mile round trip from the UK to the South of France in my car and I set up an old cell phone to display the data from my OBD reader. This works well but is clumsy and no way as elegant a solution as Cabrio Bob's. I set my phone display to show various combinations which I could switch between depending on what I was doing at the time. On my main display for cruising the autoroutes at high speed, I set the display to show KMPH and water temperature. Speed for obvious reasons and water temperature as the outside temperature in Southern France was typically 35 degrees C (95 degrees F) and I wanted to keep an eye on the coolant (which barely fluctuated as it happens, always around 95C). Another display showed Coolant and Volts, another showed coolant, volts, outside temperature and speed all at once. You get the idea. The OBD gives a mass of data, a lot of which I don't understand (eg intake temperatures, MAF etc).

I am greatly looking forward to receiving Cabrio Bob's elegant solution, permanently installed in the car - so much neater than a cell phone fixed to the dash. If you do have a spare cell phone and want to check out the kind of info that you can access, download an app called Torque Pro, buy a cheap OBDII reader from the net, and in about 2 minutes you will be good to go. (Of course you can also use your regular phone if you want to - but I use that for Waze already).

The following 2 users liked this post by barnsie:
MarkyUK (08-22-2020), Stuart xk (10-21-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 09:13 AM
Default update

An update,
Today the "cheap" ELM327 was delivered. I tested this one with the ESP32, and it is working OK.
However, this one doesn't seem to go to "sleep" if no activity takes place, so I'll opt for the more expensive one
which is confirmed to go to sleep after 30 minutes, saving our car battery.

I found out that the ESP32 doesn't want to connect to another ELM327 if connected before to a different one,
more to be read about that here (post #19). Once I have done this ESP32 "reset", I was able to connect to the ELM327
using it's advertising name or the MAC address. Using the name is preferred,
since this enables me to write universal firmware (*4, one for each unit combination).
For this I have to make sure every ELM327 I order has the same advertising name. (for a Vgate iCar Pro 4.0 this is "Android-Vlink").

There are still some parts to be delivered from China, one of them seems to be stuck at customs for a week already

Updated list, see below.
I removed Reverend Sam, he didn't respond here, and also not to a private message.
On Thursday August 27 at 08:00 AM CEST I will close the possibility to sign up, and start ordering the amounts of needed ELM327 and 3D prints.
The sign up also closes when the amount of 14 people is reached.

Last edited by Cabrio Bob; 08-22-2020 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added time link
The following 3 users liked this post by Cabrio Bob:
barnsie (08-22-2020), kj07xk (08-22-2020), Tolly (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 11:02 AM

Hello Barnsie,

First let me say I am quite envious of your last road trip to the south of France in what must be the perfect Grand Touring car. We enjoyed a few weeks there a couple of years ago and still have memories of the place. Currently Canada has closed the border to/from the USA due to COVID-19 and our touring is now within British Columbia which is fine with me.

I suppose (my first ever) forum posting indicated my mind is still in the ‘electric’ era rather than the ‘electronic’ era of Bluetooth. I chuckle now when I was asking how and where one would connect Cabrio Bob’s device ie where would the wiring connect to access the data. Our ‘67 E-Type with its instrument panel, full of Smith’s gauges, presented no unanswered data questions.

Until we purchased our ‘12 XKR a couple of weeks ago, I had not even heard about OBDs and really had no need to know much about them. Spending a few intensive hours reading the Jaguar Forum and the internet answered a lot of questions about how to obtain temperature and voltage parameters on our XKR. Also being engaged in the Apple iOS environment presents other issues as most OBDs won’t connect to the iPhone although I have found two or three premium ones that do. So in some ways Cabrio Bob’s solution is a simpler and more elegant solution in obtaining temp and voltage parameters. Thank you for the input.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Put me down for a full shootin’ match setup as well, fahrenheit and miles.
I’ll try one of those OBD splitters with power switches, to connect multiple devices (with only one active), so I can run your display when I’ve got something else active on my GVIF.
Thanks!

Old 08-23-2020, 12:35 AM
Default list updated

Updated list:

In post #65 I wrote:
If you don't order the ELM327 adapter you'll have to program the ESP32 device yourself (not that difficult)
The Bluetooth connection to the ELM327 is done by using the MAC address of the device.
Every ELM327 has an unique MAC address. Since that is the case, currently I can not create an universal
firmware update method
This has now changed to:

The Bluetooth connection to the ELM327 is done by using the MAC address or the name of the device.
.... I can not create an universal firmware update method
I will be able to create an universal firmware update method

Using your own ELM it means it likely has a different advertising name, so you'll have to learn how to change and upload the code yourself.
This is done using the steps (Windows only):
  • Install the ESP32 drivers
  • Download and install the Arduino software
  • Install additional required libraries into the Arduino IDE
  • Install the ESP32 Add-on in Arduino IDE
  • Select the correct serial port and board ("DOIT ESP32 DEVKIT V1") in the Arduino IDE
  • Find the advertising name of your ELM327 (case-sensitive)
  • Reset the ESP32 by uploading this Arduino code. (also available in the arduino IDE example list)
  • Change the "Ashtray" Arduino code
  • Upload the "Ashtray" Arduino code to the ESP32

Last edited by Cabrio Bob; 08-23-2020 at 01:15 AM. Reason: adding the reset function
Old 08-23-2020, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Put me down for a full shootin’ match setup as well, fahrenheit and miles.
I’ll try one of those OBD splitters with power switches, to connect multiple devices (with only one active), so I can run your display when I’ve got something else active on my GVIF.
Thanks!
I recently noticed that the Vgate iCar Pro 4.0 advertises itself twice in an Android app, see below image.
once as a classic bluetooth device (Android-Vlink)
once as a Low Energy (BLE) device (IOS-Vlink)
if your other application is BLE capable, there may be a chance that you don't have to split the signal.
The ESP32 currently uses classic bluetooth (using my code), but is BLE capable.

UPDATE:
I checked it, there's no way connecting twice to the iCar pro ....

Last edited by Cabrio Bob; 08-23-2020 at 01:11 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-23-2020, 01:32 AM
Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Cabrio Bob
What you have done with this project is incredible.
It is far above my abilities to even fully understand your technical posts on this.

I would be very interested in purchasing the full kit, however I have a couple of questions for you.

Does the V-Gate shut down automatically and also if I go with the USB charger from the cigar lighter does this shut down or is it permanently live with the car off and locked and so require un-plugging?

Kind Regards

Paul

Old 08-23-2020, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by paulgorringe
Hi Cabrio Bob
What you have done with this project is incredible.
It is far above my abilities to even fully understand your technical posts on this.

I would be very interested in purchasing the full kit, however I have a couple of questions for you.

Does the V-Gate shut down automatically and also if I go with the USB charger from the cigar lighter does this shut down or is it permanently live with the car off and locked and so require un-plugging?

Kind Regards

Paul
Hello Paul,
The Vgate does not completely shut down but goes into "sleep" mode, minimizing power usage. I have it plugged in my car permanently.
The cigar lighter's power shuts down when you lock the car (or after some time when you stopped the engine from running). For the 4.2 models this is the case.

paulgorringe (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 04:55 AM
Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for your reply Cabrio Bob.
Can I please order a full kit with V-Gate iCar Pro 4.0 (3D print black please) with USB charger.
Celsius and miles please.
Just let me know the total inc shipping to UK to pay and preferably Paypal

I will give you my address etc via pm when the payment is made

Thanks

Old 08-23-2020, 05:26 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 932 Likes on 610 Posts

Good day, Cabrio Bob.
Can I please order a full kit with V-Gate iCar Pro 4.0 (3D print black please) with USB charger.
Celsius and Kms please.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:46 AM

This list is almost fully occupied.

On Thursday August 27 at 08:00 AM CEST I will close the possibility to sign up, and start ordering the amounts of needed ELM327 and 3D prints.
The sign up also closes when the amount of 14 people is reached.
Today I ordered some extra USB car chargers and USB cables in order to reach the 14 units. shipping to me normally takes 2-3 weeks.
On above mentioned date, or when number 14 is reached I start ordering the 3D prints.
Shipment of the first few units will probably take place 4 weeks from now.
Payment should not take place earlier than ~2 days prior to shipment.
The preferred payment method will be PayPal.

I developed an universal firmware update method, which will work as follows (Windows only):
  • Install the ESP32 drivers
  • Disconnect to USB cable from the USB charger and leave it disconnected
  • Connect the unit to the computer with a micro-USB cable (not the one which is supplied, screenshot 1 below)
  • Download the firmware update exe file
  • Run the firmware update exe file
  • A list of COM ports on your computer will be displayed (see screenshot 2 below)
  • The correct port is "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM12)"
  • Enter the number and press Return on your keyboard (the correct number here is 12)
  • Firmware will be updated (see screenshot 3 below)
  • Press any key to continue > finished

screenshot 1: USB to computer location:

screenshot 2: "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM12)" is the correct port

Screenshot 3: "12" entered and Return pressed

Last edited by Cabrio Bob; 08-23-2020 at 01:25 PM. Reason: list updated
The following 2 users liked this post by Cabrio Bob:
barnsie (08-23-2020), kj07xk (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 08:46 AM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Voorhees
Is the set up you are selling "Plug and play" meaning, just assemble the components? Simple soldering? how difficult will this assembly be on a scale of 1-10 in your mind? Is the USB Charging port set up for "Quick Charging" and doese the green ring in the digital mock up indicate a light that matches the color (close enough) to the window switch lights? I am interested in the whole set up I believe, it looks awesome! I of course would prefer Kelvin and Knots please.

But seriously, Fahrenheit and Miles!
+1 for ordering: in C and KPH please ;-)

Old 08-23-2020, 09:00 AM

List is updated in post #95

Old 08-23-2020, 09:12 AM

Only two left! You guys are going to have to be quick if you want this terrific addition to your car!

The following 2 users liked this post by barnsie:
Cabrio Bob (08-23-2020), wicklewamb (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 01:17 PM

Hello Cabrio Bob,

Please add me to the list. Celsius and Kilometres please.

Thanks, Tolly

barnsie (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 01:22 PM

And then there was one Who will grab the last one, I wonder?

Cabrio Bob (08-23-2020)

Quick Reply: OBD2 display in ashtray location