XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

OBDII Tools that work best with our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017 | 01:55 PM
|
Default OBDII Tools that work best with our cars?

I have a 2010 XK and want to invest in an OBDII tool. At this point and time, I'd like to go with a dedicated tool and a color screen. In your expeience, what units seems to fill the bill?
Thanks

Old 05-10-2017 | 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I have a 2010 XK and want to invest in an OBDII tool. At this point and time, I'd like to go with a dedicated tool and a color screen. In your expeience, what units seems to fill the bill?
Thanks
Can you provide little more info on what you're looking for Rob please, as I'm not sure what you mean by dedicated tool.

Are you looking to read generic codes only? Jaguar specific codes too? Are you looking to clear codes? Do you intend to make any configuration changes?

Here's an oldie but a goodie for you're reading pleasure:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...-%2A%2A-33347/

Old 05-10-2017 | 02:23 PM
|

Thanks Sean,
I'd like to read jag specific codes, be able to clear codes to, etc.
What i meant is that I did not want to get a smart phone version, just a stand alone device I can use then put it away when done.
All the best

Old 05-10-2017 | 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Thanks Sean,
I'd like to read jag specific codes, be able to clear codes to, etc.
What i meant is that I did not want to get a smart phone version, just a stand alone device I can use then put it away when done.
All the best
Maybe useful when you really want to dig into something, but the small plug-in unit that works with either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth to your smartphone is pretty useful when you're out on the road, not close to home. Just leave it plugged into the OBD-II port, and turn it on when you want to read it. You can also monitor your engine temp, and some other things while your driving as well. So I wouldn't discount having the smartphone version as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
Cee Jay (05-10-2017), robtroxel (05-12-2017)
Old 05-10-2017 | 08:38 PM

If you do end up opting for a small plug in, check out my post #497 at the link below. I provide some details on the unit and the sensors viewable through the Torque pro app.

Hope it helps/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...-33347/page25/

The following users liked this post:
robtroxel (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017 | 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Rob I agree with the guys on the torque pro app, as it can provide realtime data such as coolant temp and battery voltage, that our vehicles lack gauges for. It will also read generic codes - but it will not meet you Jaguar specific needs. That said, I have it and use it and very happy with it. A word of advice though. There are several OBD II dongles that work with the Torque Pro App. Buy a short one so your not kicking it when you get it an out of the car.

Here's a more recent read below on OBD code readers that can read Jag specific codes, etc.....

Again, with the assumption that you want it all:
I have the OEM software and VCM that I purchased from Cambo on this forum. Depending on how deep you get into your car repairs, for my money, it is a great investment, and I would recommend buying from Cambo vs eBay (though he may be one of the sellers on eBay).
(no I don't get a commission for pimping the used VCM). OEM VCM and software as I mentioned would be my first choice but is not the typical one for a shade tree mechanic.

Next one that mirrors the OEM software is Mongoose Pro from Drew technologies I think? I read good and bad and I'm a bit confused on whether it uses hacked Chinese software or that's the Mangoose version. I believe it uses VMWare as well. You can do a search on the X350 forum and it's full of nightmarish stories but again, that may be the difference between the clones. I have no personal experience and don't know the cost.

Next is Autoenginuity. You can go to their site and they will outline all of the functionality for your make however, you should call them to confirm any questions. I own this software as well and used it primarily in my wife's MB but also my X350. I've kept it for when the warranty runs out on her Cadillac. Pros - no license and software updates are reasonable. Cons - price - you buy the generic reader, then buy the vehicle specific add on. This will run you around $800. That said, you can buy add ons for virtually all makes and models for use on other cars.

All the above require a Laptop and Windows 7. OEM requires 32 bit version.

Low end is the iCarsoft i930 and its successor. The i930 is a small hand held device, there is a link within the link below that takes you to Amazon, also some reviews from the X350 forum where there are quite a few more DIY'ers. I have no personal experience, but it's not pricey. There is some reset functionality also.

I hope this helps.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eaders-159541/

The following 3 users liked this post by Sean W:
jwooky (05-15-2017), Mufc (05-18-2017), robtroxel (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017 | 01:04 PM
|

Very much appreciate the indepth response! While there are other threads, it is nice to get the latest info. I'll continue to explore the resources you have pointed to and will advise what I end up doing. Cheers!

Old 05-11-2017 | 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

You might also look at the highly rated BlueDriver - very easy to use and very complete

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
robtroxel (05-12-2017), winstonsalemncxk (10-01-2017)
Old 05-11-2017 | 07:38 PM

I bought ELM 327 Wi Fi Interface and works great. Less the $ 23 Amazon. Google ELM 327.

I have free version of following Apps and will upgrade to paid one soon.
OBD Auto Doctor
OBD Car Doctor

robtroxel (05-12-2017)
Old 05-17-2017 | 08:49 PM

I have an Autel MaxiCheck. It was about $150. It does all the generic stuff, freeze frame, live data, etc., plus the electronic parking brake stuff and the main reason I bought it is that it will reset the service required - oil light on my XJ. This CANNOT be done from the dash like the XK.

I have had it for four years and am happy with it.

robtroxel (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017 | 03:30 AM

Very good information Sean W. Just what I and I am sure, many other people that work on their cars will be looking for.