XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Official> There Will Be No Jaguar XK Successor

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Official> There Will Be No Jaguar XK Successor

"now that the 575-hp F-type SVR is the “pinnacle” of the company’s range, selling two high-end coupes side by side won’t work, according to Jaguar Land Rover North America CEO Joe Eberhardt."

Read the complete article:
There Will Be No Jaguar XK Successor, Land Rover Won't Chase Bentley ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

That's too bad. Jaguar needs a comfortable GT and the rough rider F-Type isn't it. Good for the used XK market I guess.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts

Seems jaguar are doing to the f-type what it did with the xk, pushing the limits of what it can do in all variants till there's nothing left to do. It has been the case with the xf and i suppose the xe will be next. The f-type is a nice car but is a roadster IMO, as you say wolfy jaguar still need a GT car and the f-type will never be. A big mistake i think, there could have been a xk 4 door like the porsche panamera, and with the xk coupe lines it would look stunning. Another jaguar failure. I wonder how many jaguar owners have gone from xk to f-type or just moved to another car maker.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:17 AM
Received 334 Likes on 201 Posts

Not a failure at all. Jaguar is making some smart business moves. The xk is a wonderful car, but the world today is just not that interested in a car with two big doors and two useless seats in the back. I remember a few years ago when I was at the Jaguar dealer [before the F-Type even existed] and I asked the salesman which car is not selling and sadly he pointed to the XK. He said they just sit on the lot for a long time. Today, they are building cars that are easier to sell and that will keep them profitable and in business > hence the F-Pace SUV. One day it will make a comeback, but for now the name of the game is to stay in business. The new Jaguar XE is definitely a step in the right direction. I might buy one myself.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
Not a failure at all. Jaguar is making some smart business moves. The xk is a wonderful car, but the world today is just not that interested in a car with two big doors and two useless seats in the back. I remember a few years ago when I was at the Jaguar dealer [before the F-Type even existed] and I asked the salesman which car is not selling and sadly he pointed to the XK. He said they just sit on the lot for a long time. Today, they are building cars that are easier to sell and that will keep them profitable and in business > hence the F-Pace SUV. One day it will make a comeback, but for now the name of the game is to stay in business. The new Jaguar XE is definitely a step in the right direction. I might buy one myself.
If you want a good family car the xe is for you, it's like when you stick on 2 more doors you're in the family circle. A friend of mine has a M5 and regrets selling his M3 and wishes he bought the M4 instead, although the car is a fabulous machine it doesn't give him the thrill of the M3. If your family orientated jaguar are making good family cars now, but only having one so called sports car is a miss on their part. Adding extra power like the xfr is great, but it still is a family car. A GT is what is needed and a bad move by jag. But i suppose in this day and age it's all about sales and the environment, Here in Ireland i see a lot of BMW i8,s on the road, looks good but i couldn't drive a car with no voice. Every car on the road seems to look like each other and no character to them.
Few weeks ago i visited the local jaguar dealer to see the XE and from the outside it was bland. I parked up outside the forecourt beside the newbies and walked away for a look around. When i got back, who was getting the attention, only the nearly 9 year old xk. How many of these newbies will draw the same attention in years to come, perfect example is the older xk8's, they still look majestic.
The xk concept below, come on jaguar

Attached Thumbnails Official> There Will Be No Jaguar XK Successor-concept.jpg  
Old 03-25-2016, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Seems jaguar are doing to the f-type what it did with the xk, pushing the limits of what it can do in all variants till there's nothing left to do. It has been the case with the xf and i suppose the xe will be next. The f-type is a nice car but is a roadster IMO, as you say wolfy jaguar still need a GT car and the f-type will never be. A big mistake i think, there could have been a xk 4 door like the porsche panamera, and with the xk coupe lines it would look stunning. Another jaguar failure. I wonder how many jaguar owners have gone from xk to f-type or just moved to another car maker.

Powerhouse you make a very valid point and it's an issue I have mentioned on the forums previously

I have nothing against the f-type and frankly I believe it is an absolutely beautiful car but unfortunately it does not suit my current needs .

As a fan of the 2+2 configuration , and if I was I looking to purchase a new vehicle I would be by default forced to go to another brand .

As individuals we are Brand proud and tend to purchase vehicles from the same manufacture ,
so Jaguar has not only lost that customer for the 2+2 coupe but now lost further sales to that exact same customer looking to purchase a saloon for the family.

Not a well thought out idea

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 03-25-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I disagree with the premise that "the world is just not that interested in a car with two big doors and two useless seats in the back." First of all, a new XK design could certainly incorporate larger, more usefull rear seats, but look at Mercedes. They have so many two door cars in their lineup now that it's confusing. The SLK, the SL, the AMG GT, the C Class two door, the E class two door, the new S Class coupe, and the AMG versions of each of those; they obviously believe there is room for multiple sports/GT models in the same lineup. Granted, Jaguar is a tiny company in comparison and does not have the resources to carry as many models, but with the F-type, and its approximate 4000 unit sales per year, what if the novelty wears off and sales drop 25-30%, as typically happens, do you think Jaguar could afford to keep a model that's only selling a couple of thousand units worldwide? I doubt it. I think there is greater rather than lesser demand for a larger GT car than a small 2 seater sports car.

And by the way, I'm not crazy about the rendering above, but would be all over an XKR replacement that resembled the upcoming Maserati Alfieri in GT proportions.

Last edited by tberg; 03-25-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Powerhouse you make a very valid point and it's an issue I have mentioned on the forums previously

I have nothing against the f-type and frankly I believe it is an absolutely beautiful car but unfortunately it does not suit my current needs .

As a fan of the 2+2 configuration , and if I was I looking to purchase a new vehicle I would be by default forced to go to another brand .

As individuals we are Brand proud and tend to purchase vehicles from the same manufacture ,
so Jaguar has not only lost that customer for the 2+2 coupe but now lost further sales to that exact same customer looking to purchase a saloon for the family.

Not a well thought out idea
I'm with you on the f-type it is a beautiful car, but if i was to upgrade in the future it would be an early dynamic model. It still doesn't appeal to me as much as the xk. I suppose sales will tell.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

The next refresh of the F-Type, they could introduce an F-Type 2+2 if the demand was there.

At JLR has my other car needs at hand. They got something for everyone. I'll be looking at the XE when our Volvo lease expires.

Last edited by mosesbotbol; 03-25-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Even Rolls-Royce is coming out with a new 4-seater convertible 'Dawn' in response to "market demand", so I don't understand Jaguar's marketing logic.

Which begs the questions...what other brand of NEW 2+2 GT roadster would you buy now? Granted there aren't that many out there. My pick would probably be the E-Class Cabriolet.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Way too much has been made out of the rear seats. First of all, they are not seats, a place to hang your jacket, or even a place for your girlfriend to put the infant seat on the way to the daycare. If she has older children logic would dictate that you are going to get a minivan.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Pathetic reviewers who don't have your lifestyle nor any idea what the swinging sixties that this car represents whine about cramped rear seats. Mojo killers. Sadly they are driving the design decision.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I think people write off the rear seats in the X150 too easily. Of course, it depends if you have a coupe or convertible. If you a have a convertible, even with the top up, there is much more headroom than in the coupe. Legs is another story, but you could conceivably fit a short adult human such as myself in the rear for a short trip!

Old 03-25-2016, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

I'm glad to hear about not replacing the XK. It just makes the XK more exclusive which it already is.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:11 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

to me, while I do really love the f-type, it is a bit too much "boy racer" for my liking and I have a car that satisfies that itch. the xk has an elegance that the f-type cannot duplicate and is only duplicable in a db-9, conti gt, or granturismo (as a note: only the aston really has the beauty of the xk and the others mentioned while elegant in their own way...are a bit awkward). the lack of an xk successor is a bit sad to me but I must say that overall, jaguar has really elevated their game and is seemingly making the right decisions!

r.i.p. jag xk...long live the xk!!!

Old 03-25-2016, 06:17 PM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
The next refresh of the F-Type, they could introduce an F-Type 2+2

That would work for me. Maybe soften the suspension a bit too.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
The next refresh of the F-Type, they could introduce an F-Type 2+2 if the demand was there.

At JLR has my other car needs at hand. They got something for everyone. I'll be looking at the XE when our Volvo lease expires.
Good point as I recall they introduced a 2+2 coupe back around 69 or there about. I had a 66 2 seat coupe back then as I liked the style better then the convert. Now you can't touch an XK-E convert for under $100K.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

A proper 2+2 would ruin Jaguar's reputation. It takes a Ferrari or Porsche to pull that off.

Jaguar is only just clawing its way back to true sports car credibility.

I would not buy a 4 seater XK or F. I want a proper gents car, where it has just enough space behind me for jacket and briefcase, and a couple of bottles. I dont want to feel like a bus driver. I have plenty of other cars for that.

I believe an XK is not a car you buy when you want your sedan to be sporty, I think it the car you buy when you decidedly dont want a sedan and practicality. Isnt it what sets Jaguar apart from the Nissans.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

If aston Martin do it with the vantage and DB9 why can't jaguar
Porsche do it with their 911 and Cayman

Both these brands are highly respectable and I do not see credibility being lost at all

The reason I have the 2+2 is so my wife and two little children can enjoy the Jaguar experience with me on the open road

Old 03-25-2016, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

And BMW does it with their M3, M5, M6...
Jaguar has had the unfair reputation in the last 3 decades of not a being a trendy car. The Ftype helped them break that. While I dont particularly like the FType for being too far the opposite way. The only thing they changed fundamentally on the F-type was the elimination of the rear seats.

I love our XK and its interpretation of 2+2, but not the 3 series type of full blown rear seats.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (03-26-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 10:34 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
A proper 2+2 would ruin Jaguar's reputation. It takes a Ferrari or Porsche to pull that off.

Jaguar is only just clawing its way back to true sports car credibility.

I would not buy a 4 seater XK or F. I want a proper gents car, where it has just enough space behind me for jacket and briefcase, and a couple of bottles. I dont want to feel like a bus driver. I have plenty of other cars for that.

I believe an XK is not a car you buy when you want your sedan to be sporty, I think it the car you buy when you decidedly dont want a sedan and practicality. Isnt it what sets Jaguar apart from the Nissans.

this! cannot be better stated.

The following users liked this post:
jello_g (03-25-2016)

Quick Reply: Official> There Will Be No Jaguar XK Successor