XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Officially Got The XKR Bug!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 12:03 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Officially Got The XKR Bug!

Hey Lads,

Been happy with my 2003 Jag XK8 convertible now for several years but I find as I knock out all the major issues with my "dog-pound" purchases, I start to get restless and pine for something new. I have danced around with this for some time now and have even test driven several cars including a Aston Vantage. Beautiful car for sure but used at 35+ k for a 2008 is not doing it for me despite how nice it is. I have however, found a 2008 Jag XKR for 11K and that really gets me motivated.

Silver coupe with 106k miles on the clock. I did give it a test drive and it appears to run very well. Has a bunch of interior cosmetic issues to resolve but that is actually my MO when haggling price. It has the 4.2L, Supercharged engine of course and not the most powerful XKR Jag made but for the price and the condition, it is certainly a step forward for me in the land of Jag's on my way to my ultimate F-Type.

Given this is a earlier version of the XKR, I was wondering what are some of the more common issues that have cropped up over time with these cars and also what I should be looking for to see if this particular car suffers from any of these issues?

Old 02-17-2020, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

I'm tired of answering this question. I'll let someone else do it.

Or the OP can use the Forum SEARCH function or Google to find the answers to his specific questions.

It's a used car. Anything can happen. Pay a Jaguar dealer to do a Pre Purcase Inspection to Certified Pre-Owned standards.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

We have a DIY sticky section now that highlights the major issues with the car. Just pay attention to the 4.2 and not the 5.0.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...enance-227403/
Also give this a read:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-guide-224822/

The following users liked this post:
GGG (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

At 11K, you're almost half there on an F Type.

I'd replace all the suspension bushings and fluids as a start.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:08 AM

Ah

so being an ***-hat is part of XKR ownership?
If answering questions - even redundant ones - is a problem for you, why not just take moms advice and say nothing at all?

Part of the fun in these types of questions, is a little enthusiasm for the car one is looking at. Thanks for dashing my own enthusiasm knowing I will get to deal with people like you.

sorry you are so “tired”
must take a lot of energy to answer a question on a forum you elected to join.

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I'm tired of answering this question. I'll let someone else do it.

Or the OP can use the Forum SEARCH function or Google to find the answers to his specific questions.

It's a used car. Anything can happen. Pay a Jaguar dealer to do a Pre Purcase Inspection to Certified Pre-Owned standards.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:09 AM

At around 35k for used F-Types I have seen, that’s a rather large jump

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
At 11K, you're almost half there on an F Type.

I'd replace all the suspension bushings and fluids as a start.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:10 AM

thanks
been doing a lot of research on it

Originally Posted by Sean W
We have a DIY sticky section now that highlights the major issues with the car. Just pay attention to the 4.2 and not the 5.0.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...enance-227403/
Also give this a read:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-guide-224822/

Old 02-18-2020, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 674 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by razorboy
Ah

so being an ***-hat is part of XKR ownership?
If answering questions - even redundant ones - is a problem for you, why not just take moms advice and say nothing at all?

Part of the fun in these types of questions, is a little enthusiasm for the car one is looking at. Thanks for dashing my own enthusiasm knowing I will get to deal with people like you.

sorry you are so “tired”
must take a lot of energy to answer a question on a forum you elected to join.
Stuart is far from an ***-hat, he is a member who brings a tremendous amount of knowledge to the forum. Not that he needs me to defend him, so don't take it the wrong way. He was just trying to get you to use the resources that are available to you. You know the old saying, ‘Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.’ There are literally 100's of threads to look through that pose the exact same question you asked, a simple search will give you all the info you need. Now with that said if you have additional questions about a particular vehicle or features, you will get plenty of input. So don't lose the enthusiasm, and if you do end up purchasing and becoming a part of this great forum you will without a doubt learn that Stuart is in fact a pretty good guy and I would be willing to bet that you will eventually learn quite a bit from him and others.. Happy searching!!!

The following 8 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
barnsie (02-18-2020), Cee Jay (02-20-2020), kj07xk (02-18-2020), pk4144 (02-21-2020), ralphwg (02-20-2020), Sean W (02-19-2020), sov211 (02-19-2020), Stuart S (02-18-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-18-2020, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I have both the supercharged 4.2 and the supercharged 5.0 litre. Every time I say this I feel like I am jinxing myself but I have found the 4.2 significantly more reliable and easier and cheaper to work on than the 5.0. While some of the improvements and upgrades the newer cars offer, I prefer something more dependable.

But as others have said they are used cars, getting older and anything can happen.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:14 PM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey Lads,

Been happy with my 2003 Jag XK8 convertible now for several years but I find as I knock out all the major issues with my "dog-pound" purchases, I start to get restless and pine for something new. I have danced around with this for some time now and have even test driven several cars including a Aston Vantage. Beautiful car for sure but used at 35+ k for a 2008 is not doing it for me despite how nice it is. I have however, found a 2008 Jag XKR for 11K and that really gets me motivated.

Silver coupe with 106k miles on the clock. I did give it a test drive and it appears to run very well. Has a bunch of interior cosmetic issues to resolve but that is actually my MO when haggling price. It has the 4.2L, Supercharged engine of course and not the most powerful XKR Jag made but for the price and the condition, it is certainly a step forward for me in the land of Jag's on my way to my ultimate F-Type.

Given this is a earlier version of the XKR, I was wondering what are some of the more common issues that have cropped up over time with these cars and also what I should be looking for to see if this particular car suffers from any of these issues?
the only issue i ever had with the 2007 XKR 4.2L is the battery and alternator needing a replacement.That's it

Old 02-18-2020, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

The OP is considering buying a 2008 XKR with 106,000 miles and asked "what are some of the more common issues that have cropped up over time with these cars and also what I should be looking for to see if this particular car suffers from any of these issues?"

My reply was responsive to his question: "It's a used car. Anything can happen. Pay a Jaguar dealer to do a Pre Purchase Inspection to Certified Pre-Owned standards."

Thanks, Texas Traveler, for your understanding and support. I learned everything I know about my XKR from the helpful and knowledgeable members of this Forum.

The Advanced Search function is a great tool to find answers to questions, and it's worth taking the time to play around with it to learn how to use it. Also, the stickies at the top of this Forum probably will answer many of the OPs questions.

These threads might answer the OP's questions.

I was not discourteous to the OP and answered his question, and for that do I deserve to get this from him? "so being an ***-hat is part of XKR ownership? If answering questions - even redundant ones - is a problem for you, why not just take moms advice and say nothing at all?"
He should think about it and maybe get some help for overreacting and anger management.

P.S. The OP has been a Forum member (X100) since 2013 and should know better and not be abusive to others. See:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...gned-up-22253/

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-18-2020 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (02-20-2020), ralphwg (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

If you already own a Jag, I think you should know what to expect.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey Lads,

stay away from the paddle shifters and never use them.I think that had something to do with my alternator going bad in the 1st place cause my XKR never started going bad until after i used them

Old 02-19-2020, 01:09 PM

Yes,

I have been a member since 2013 and this would be my third Jaguar.
You can read for yourself the number of items I have dealt with personally and can see that I know my way around a Jaguar.
You clearly identified what tone your reply sent to me because you have omitted that part from your quoted reply "I get tired"
I think it is worth mentioning that you are not Jaguar tech support and we all come here (a public forum) to get assistance from like-minded enthusiasts of this brand.
You have presented over 5000 posts on this forum so you obviously have spent a lot of time here and maybe subconsciously consider this some sort of job for you - its not.
It is a bunch of random folks asking questions and seeking answers. If the forum creators simply wanted to exchange hardcore intel, they would have a library of docs and no forum at all.
My reply to your comments was to first alert you that you - as a long standing member of the forum - are losing tact when dealing with other forum members in your replies and to also remind you that you are not committed to answering anyone's questions. If you feel that an answer is beneath you, I completely understand and I do not expect a response. If you do reply, I expect something knowledgeable and usable and not a response that basically tells the OP that he and people like him are a burden to you. See what I am saying?

You can defend this here all day long and I won't debate it any further. I am here about Jags and not educating people on proper forum behavior. My reply may have had a sharper point on it than you expected but "anger management" has never been something I have needed. Anyone who empathizes with my reply will clearly see why someone with 7 years on this forum working out dozens of problems would have a issue with the reply. Read all my posts and you won't find one that comes across like this.
Simply be helpful or do nothing - pretty simple stuff. Time to get back to the XKR and put this behind me / us.

Originally Posted by Stuart S
The OP is considering buying a 2008 XKR with 106,000 miles and asked "what are some of the more common issues that have cropped up over time with these cars and also what I should be looking for to see if this particular car suffers from any of these issues?"

My reply was responsive to his question: "It's a used car. Anything can happen. Pay a Jaguar dealer to do a Pre Purchase Inspection to Certified Pre-Owned standards."

I was not discourteous to the OP and answered his question, and for that do I deserve to get this from him? "so being an ***-hat is part of XKR ownership? If answering questions - even redundant ones - is a problem for you, why not just take moms advice and say nothing at all?"
He should think about it and maybe get some help for overreacting and anger management.

P.S. The OP has been a Forum member (X100) since 2013 and should know better and not be abusive to others.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Forum members can decide for themselves who's right and who's wrong.