XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Oil changes/Direct Injection Engines ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
I thought the (DI) intake valves don't have petrol washing them clean and that is what allows the deposit build up.
Your spot on to realize this.... Hence Lexus placed an additional injector out in the intake manifold for WOT conditions... (And the valves got a quick high pressure wash)
But again the culprit is likely 'valve overlap' which is the duration that both intake and exhaust valves are off their seats and exposed to the combustion chamber. The intent is improved scavenging of the spent burn, but the chamber swirl and combustion byproducts get a fair shot at both sides. Deposits will adhere where deposits can adhere....

Sorry, a fave topic of mine, and off the OPs question
In the end, Jaguar has done nothing special with the 5.0 to prevent this, just like 95% of the rest of the DI motors out there. We owners take on new responsibilities and maintenance to keep our engines intakes clean. (About $200/yr).

Old 10-14-2017, 09:05 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
In addition, I had my XKR intakes cleaned, with dynos before and after....
Being the new owner of a used car, I cannot say how it was treated its first 5 years, but I gained 30 ft/lb of torque after the cleaning!
Any details on this cleaning procedure? What product was used? How was it applied? Any disassembly required?

Thanks

Old 10-14-2017, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
In the end, Jaguar has done nothing special with the 5.0 to prevent this, just like 95% of the rest of the DI motors out there.
I am on your side- dont shoot.
The exact opposite.
The valves have a very health overlap for wash
The software update most jag cars got also addressed it.

I got it from the horse's mouth, folks who worked at Jaguar.
Proof is on the pudding, BMW virtually guarantees you will have rough idle and 50% loss of power by 60k miles. Havent heard of a single jag doing that.

Again I am in your camp, dont let me distract you, just saying its bad in Audi BMW land. Merc dodged the bullet too.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by dabrunn
Any details on this cleaning procedure? What product was used? How was it applied? Any disassembly required?

Thanks
BG44 products... But there are others out there now thanks to DI proliferation. BG was one of the industry leaders....

Q&C, my deepest apologies, I was not attempting to offend or strike a sour note with you personally.
As is my personal experience and dyno logs for proof, Jag did not 'do it right'. 30ft/lbs of torque gain is significant after cleaning.

BTW: 'Merc' to us in the US is short for Mercury... A past Ford product, and my BK44 cleaning was done at the local Ford dealership as they have the same problems with their motors! ...go figure...

Last edited by CleverName; 10-14-2017 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

CN
You are correct 30lbs is much to write home about.
Know how grateful I am, I even offered to pay a portion of the dyno cost for Mandrake to find this out. He has also had much interest in this subject. And not surprisingly all 3 take pride in preserving performance.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

"Not to mention, a real increase in Dealership revenue"! lol

Old 10-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

According to R&T (Nov 2017), some new Audi engines have both DI and port injection. Perhaps to overcome the results of carbon from DI??