XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Oil changing in 5.0, anything special here??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Oil changes for 2010 XKR's are slated for 15,000 miles (most likely due to the OEM use of Castrol Synthetic and the better tolerances of these engines). I'm still amazed at that schedule, but it is what the OEM recommends. Oil changes at 3,000 or 5,000 miles are a thing of the past. Well, my '86 Xj6 still requires oil changes sooner, but it leaks so much oil that every three thousand miles, I've already changed the oil two times. Filter still needs to be done though. '02 XJR 100 is still in the 3,000 to 5,000 mile range, but that is mostly related to time frame since it doesn't get a whole lot of miles and after so many years of "regular" oil, I'm hesitant to put in the longer-lasting synthetic which may bring on leaks to a very solid engine.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

"Switching to synthetic may cause oil leaks" is an old myth as well. You can go from synthetic to Dino back and forth with zero concern of leakage or "mixing" issues. Synthetic can only help the engine, the only concern I'd have is cost IF your engine tends to burn or lose a lot of oil but in terms of usage there's only positive aspects to synthetic.

Research this on such sites as "Bob the oil guy" or other respected authorities regarding when to change and with what.

My own personal new cars (no more new cars for me though) I tend to do a very early oil change, maybe around 2K miles in case there's any metal fragments. I also always check the filter for metal shavings by cutting it open.

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (05-08-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
Sorry once again, changing your own oil does not void the warranty -
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6051955AAs0BmA
Here it is, it is a Federal law - https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

It's been the case for many years now with ALL auto manufacturers.

Here's more facts to back my original statement:
Blog Post | Changing the oil and filter while under warranty... | Car Talk
I did not say changing your own oil *voided* the warranty. I said having the dealer do it may avoid issues with claims of maintenance on the car.

and again, IT HAPPENED TO ME.

Your arguing based on theory. Have you ever went through an ordeal with a dealership concerning a warranty item?? One that is hell bent on not providing any service?? Threaten them with laws. Hell, even hire a lawyer and sue them. And after $1000's of dollars and time and effort and whatever else you *might* get something.

I had a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. The dealer maintained it for years. The transaxle went out about 5K miles out of warranty. Because they had maintained the car, they went to bat for me with Mitsubishi and got a new Transaxle for me at no cost including installation.

MY SA at my Jag dealer went to bat for me with getting a SIRIUS unit replaced.

There are benefits to having the dealer maintain the car while it is under warranty.

THIS WAS MY POINT.

But you obviously have FEDERAL LAWS to protect you, so you are covered.

Enough time wasted on your juvenile posts.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR100orXKR100
Oil changes for 2010 XKR's are slated for 15,000 miles (most likely due to the OEM use of Castrol Synthetic and the better tolerances of these engines). I'm still amazed at that schedule, but it is what the OEM recommends. Oil changes at 3,000 or 5,000 miles are a thing of the past. Well, my '86 Xj6 still requires oil changes sooner, but it leaks so much oil that every three thousand miles, I've already changed the oil two times. Filter still needs to be done though. '02 XJR 100 is still in the 3,000 to 5,000 mile range, but that is mostly related to time frame since it doesn't get a whole lot of miles and after so many years of "regular" oil, I'm hesitant to put in the longer-lasting synthetic which may bring on leaks to a very solid engine.
If the book says 15000 miles then I'll change at 7500 as I believe the oil will have contaminates in it. I suspect if you drive the car as a DD then maybe it will be OK but if I put the car up during the winter in an unheated space then I'll be changing the oil at least once a year. Syn oil is great but is still prone to contamination. Anyway it's a cheap investment.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

"I did not say changing your own oil *voided* the warranty. I said having the dealer do it may avoid issues with claims of maintenance on the car. "

Well here is your previous statement that prompted my retort with supporting facts. There are no warranty requirements changing your own oil

If your car is under warranty, I *highly* recommend either letting the dealer do your oil change, and/or using *their* oil that DGL mentioned above. This will protect you from any claims that you did not maintain the car properly as per warranty requirements.

Your arguing based on theory. No response was regarding your inaccurate post regarding doing your own oil supported by mention that it is federal law refuting what you had written. Have you ever went through an ordeal with a dealership concerning a warranty item?? Yes, against Porsche One that is hell bent on not providing any service?? yup Threaten them with laws. Yup Hell, even hire a lawyer and sue them. Yup - Kurt Dalsack in Santa Monica - incredible lawyer for those you might need one And after $1000's of dollars and time and effort and whatever else you *might* get something. And again your insinuation is that having the dealership change your oil will somehow stop this from happening?

Enough time wasted on your juvenile posts.
Your initial post was inaccurate, your next post attempts to use an anecdotal event to somehow insinuate that paying a dealerships exorbitant rates will rates will get you good will, not maybe get good will in the extreme event that the oil change comes up. Then lastly you resort to name calling... I guess calling you out with inaccurate posts hits a nerve. No one has ever questioned you in the past and caught you huh? OFten times when people cannot use logic, facts, or sense in arguments they resort to name calling... someone needs a hug.

Last edited by Leeper; 05-09-2014 at 02:01 PM.