XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Ok, best tires for 2010+ XKR?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014 | 12:43 PM

I am running the 20" Takoba (8.5 front and 9.5 rear) wheels and will need new rear tires soon.

Looking specifically at Michelin on Tire Rack and they only list the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 as the proper replacement tire for my car (2012 XKR). Anyone know why they don't list the Super Sports as well?

They sell both the A/S 3 and the Super Sport in my rear size (285/30 ZR20).

Just marketing or am I missing something??

Old 11-05-2014 | 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

I think you need to drop the speed rating ("Z") in your search.

Just enter your make year and model in the front site search.

BOL
Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 11-06-2014 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-06-2014 | 10:42 AM

Subscribed...

Old 11-07-2014 | 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by GrtShrk
I am running the 20" Takoba (8.5 front and 9.5 rear) wheels and will need new rear tires soon.

Looking specifically at Michelin on Tire Rack and they only list the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 as the proper replacement tire for my car (2012 XKR). Anyone know why they don't list the Super Sports as well?

They sell both the A/S 3 and the Super Sport in my rear size (285/30 ZR20).

Just marketing or am I missing something??

Yeah, Don't worry about the Z rating. But also, I went with 295/30 for the rears. One because it needs more rubber back there... (they spin SO easily, amirite?) and two because Michelin didn't have any in 285/30 anywhere. I did Pilot Super Sports. Because best.

Also, one last opinion: Don't mix/match front/rear tire designs. It can lead to odd behaviors due to grip. Lots of people don't like to replace the rears on a different cadence than the front, even if they're staying with the same tire. I'm of a mind to SOMEWHAT disregard that opinion due to how quickly sports cars/GTs burn through tires but...

Old 11-07-2014 | 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rahtok
Yeah, Don't worry about the Z rating. But also, I went with 295/30 for the rears. One because it needs more rubber back there... (they spin SO easily, amirite?) and two because Michelin didn't have any in 285/30 anywhere. I did Pilot Super Sports. Because best.

Also, one last opinion: Don't mix/match front/rear tire designs. It can lead to odd behaviors due to grip. Lots of people don't like to replace the rears on a different cadence than the front, even if they're staying with the same tire. I'm of a mind to SOMEWHAT disregard that opinion due to how quickly sports cars/GTs burn through tires but...

So you are saying on a 2012 XKR you can sub 295's for 285's????

Old 11-07-2014 | 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

I see both 285 an 295 on back on back order :P

Old 11-07-2014 | 01:23 PM

I would like to extend my driving season here in the Northeast. No winter driving but it would be nice to have the car on the road earlier in the spring and later in the fall. Since summer tires are not recommended below 40 degrees, I'm looking to put 20" PSS A/S tires on after the car comes out of winter storage. I'm not an overly aggressive driver so the tradeoff in traction should not be an issue. Has anyone had any experience with All-Season tires?

Old 11-07-2014 | 02:01 PM

Skeeter, I just replaced my set 2 weeks ago with original equipment Perrelli P7's There is a lot of talk about Michelin PSS and I had them before, I personally get more were out go the P7's for my driving style. They seem a bit more sticky! Good luck and go get a set soon, don't get caught up in the analysis paralysis syndrome Cuz!

Old 11-07-2014 | 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

I got my XK with the pilot Sport A/S (keep in mind this was almost 3 years ago), and I hated the tires with a passion.
I am an aggressive driver (to say the least) so I put tires to the test regularly. Grip was moderate, which is t be expected from an A/S tire, but my scare came from trying to ride the edge of adhesion. Feedback was basically non-existent, so knowing your tires had actually let go only came from the lump in your throat realizing the nose of the car was not where you told it to be. Made for a very scary and late reaction to the problem....
Has the tire improved since then? Maybe, but I wont go back and invest hard cash to find out till I read otherwise.

Look int the Conti Extreme DWS as a decent alternative.

I would personally like to try the Bridgestone 970AS, as I loved the 960AS compound but hated the tread design. Looks like the 970 got some beefed up tread blocks to solve my initial gripe.

BOL
Vince

Old 11-07-2014 | 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

My Evora came with Pirelli P Zero Nero's and I wore pretty well. More miles out of them than the Pilot Sport AS+ I had on the XK. The Pirelli's are not as noisy as I was expecting.

Old 11-10-2014 | 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lothar52
So you are saying on a 2012 XKR you can sub 295's for 285's????
Yes. I have them, and they don't rub. I have zero tolerance for rubbing. That's on my stock rims too so... all good.

Old 11-10-2014 | 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rahtok
Yes. I have them, and they don't rub. I have zero tolerance for rubbing. That's on my stock rims too so... all good.
Too bad the 295's are back on backorder blast it!!!!

Loth

Old 11-10-2014 | 08:48 PM
guy
Veteran Member

As an F1 fan, I have tried the Pirelli's and Bridgestone's. Then it was suggested I give Conti's a try... but I keep going back to the Michelin's. Hands down, they handle and wear the best in the conditions I've encountered.

Old 11-12-2014 | 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by guy
As an F1 fan, I have tried the Pirelli's and Bridgestone's. Then it was suggested I give Conti's a try... but I keep going back to the Michelin's. Hands down, they handle and wear the best in the conditions I've encountered.

I have some Conti's on my Merc but they are all about noise, gas mileage and comfort. Every time I have deviated from Michelin's for performance I have been sorry.

There are lesser expensive alternatives - yes. BUT - lets first consider what the tires do; yes? Name one other component that does more the experience of the car - you cannot. Tires are the only component that is engaged 100% of the time. The list of what they do is long, comfort, road feel, stopping grip, acceleration grip, cornering grip, noise, rain, etc. A tire makes such a huge impact to a car that when you really weigh the pro/con it is hard to not justify Michelin.

Old 11-12-2014 | 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Name one other component that does more the experience of the car - you cannot.
The engine?

I am not too bothered about what make or design my tyres are as long as they do their job but I wouldn't have bought my XKR if it had a 1 litre, 4 cylinder engine under the bonnet.

Old 11-12-2014 | 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
The engine?

I am not too bothered about what make or design my tyres are as long as they do their job but I wouldn't have bought my XKR if it had a 1 litre, 4 cylinder engine under the bonnet.
Your way off on that one.....
Engines are meaningless if you cant bring it all to a stop quickly and safely.

Not "bothering" about safety make you one of the more dangerous drivers on the road today.

Old 11-13-2014 | 02:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName

Not "bothering" about safety make you one of the more dangerous drivers on the road today.
If the tyres are doing their job, by definition they should be safe.

I doubt I could tell the difference between Michelin, Pirelli or Goodyear tyres on my car in normal, day to day driving but I could certainly tell the difference between an engine with 100bhp vs an engine with 400bhp.

Old 11-13-2014 | 06:35 AM

Rahtok, to clarify you've fitted 295/30 tyres to 9.5j wheels? I was thinking of doing the same because like you say, the car could do with a bit more traction back there. Everything I've read suggests you shouldn't do this as the wheels too narrow, have you got/had any issues?

Old 11-13-2014 | 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName
Your way off on that one.....
Engines are meaningless if you cant bring it all to a stop quickly and safely.

That's right... and and engine is meaningless without tires to roll on

Old 11-13-2014 | 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by u102768
If the tyres are doing their job, by definition they should be safe.

I doubt I could tell the difference between Michelin, Pirelli or Goodyear tyres on my car in normal, day to day driving but I could certainly tell the difference between an engine with 100bhp vs an engine with 400bhp.
For daily driving it's doubtful you'd know what you were missing in a non R vs. R engine wise... but if we're going there then for daily driving a much lesser car is fine. But I know in an R that the first time it rains or gets cold out and you take a left turn and that *** slides out you'd notice. In a 500+hp car, there is a noticeable difference in tires.

My point was mainly that there was obvious perceived value in purchasing our cars - otherwise there are way cheaper options. Why make that investment and not make an equally proportionate investment in the most critical part of the car? Yes, there are cheaper tires. There are also cheaper cars. If finances are prohibiting maintaining the car properly then it's time to make better decisions.

Quick Reply: Ok, best tires for 2010+ XKR?