XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Older tires--lightly used--replace anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
What comprises the other 24%? That's less nitrogen than in regular old air...
Since I live at 5000+ feet, there is a lower density of nitrogen due to being a heavier molecule. More hydrogen and such percentage-wise.
Any other questions? Besides, I haven't taken a science class in forty years.
AND, I also inject more helium, just over 2% to make the tires lighter.
..... so there....

The following users liked this post:
JagGuardian (01-26-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 01:50 PM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Since I live at 5000+ feet, there is a lower density of nitrogen due to being a heavier molecule. More hydrogen and such percentage-wise. Any other questions?
No questions, just a respectful observation. Taking a science class would do you good.

While the atmospheric pressure varies sensitively with altitude, the composition of the atmosphere (percentages of various constituent gases) does not vary until the so-called ozone layer is encountered, at between 20 and 40 kilometers in altitude. The atmosphere has fewer molecules of nitrogen and oxygen as you go higher (less pressure) but the relative ratio between the two elements is the same for at least the first 20,000 meters of altitude.

And, sorry, but nitrogen is lighter than oxygen...

JagGuardian (01-26-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

They missed one - Delirium! You get it after the song ends.

Seriously, very clever. Thanks.

Bill Mack (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 07:00 PM
Received 338 Likes on 205 Posts

Tom Lehrer did it best!

The following 4 users liked this post by V7Sport:
Bill Mack (01-21-2021), eliotb (01-21-2021), ralphwg (01-20-2021), Stuart S (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Man, sorry I started it.
All I wanted to say is that Normal Air is mostly Nitrogen anyway, so why go through all the hassle of using a little bit more?

JagGuardian (01-26-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 03:59 AM
Received 290 Likes on 196 Posts

... Normal Air is mostly Nitrogen anyway, so why go through all the hassle of using a little bit more?
But it is the oxygen that does the damage hence, removing the oxygen is the actual point. Pure nitrogen doesn't have oxygen in it.

HappyDrivin (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 09:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tires

I have no expertise however, I recently bought a 2010 XK with very low mileage and original tires in great shape visually. I took it yo the Jag dealership to have them go over the entire car. They recommended tire replacement.

I did so and the difference in road noise snd handling was night snd day. I also feel safer but it’s just a feeling.

QUOTE=DocDsXK;2342683]Should I replace tires based on tire age alone? Replacing tires every 6 years regardless of wear seems to be a not uncommon recommendation. I have about 6000 miles on my 7 year old Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Excellent tread, no sidewall cracking, no uneven wear, no sign of any damage. Garaged car with very limited harsh weather and UV exposure. I know that tire compounds do deteriorate with time but throwing these "good looking tires" away just seems wasteful.
Regards[/QUOTE]

Old 01-21-2021, 09:27 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

If you have an electric motor in your furnace or electric tools that are used quite a bit in the garage where vehicle is stored will add to the degrading ofnthe tire by ozone emissions.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:02 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I recently had the acid test on this very thing on my 1997 XJ6. I is as close to a daily driver as I get, since I really only venture out a couple of times a week. The tires were really good from a visual stand point. but I had warning, it would spin a little coming out of some stops on rainy days. The traction control would get me moving, so I dismissed it. Then came the event, in the rain, about 50 mph, on a secondary road going through one of my favorite S bends, the rear kicked out violently, threw me into the oncoming lane, which thankfully was unoccupied. Worse yet the skid wouldn't break, none of my tricks worked, and a ditch was coming up. I finally went against my experience, and training, and mashed the brake. That broke the skid, the chatter from the anit-locks made it bite again, and we were saved. I drove home sedately, and got on the phone to my tire shop, the next trip out was for new tires.

The following 2 users liked this post by Eric-in-Texas:
bgpenguin21 (05-31-2024), JagGuardian (01-26-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 10:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What comprises the other 24%? That's less nitrogen than in regular old air...

Oh, wait, were you trying to make a joke?
I think CO2 is now closer to 0.041%. But I wonder what it has replaced?

Old 01-21-2021, 10:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driving your Jaguar less than 1,000 miles a year is the problem!

[QUOTE=DocDsXK;2342683]Should I replace tires based on tire age alone? Replacing tires every 6 years regardless of wear seems to be a not uncommon recommendation. I have about 6000 miles on my 7 year old Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Excellent tread, no sidewall cracking, no uneven wear, no sign of any damage. Garaged car with very limited harsh weather and UV exposure. I know that tire compounds do deteriorate with time but throwing these "good looking tires" away just seems

Old 01-21-2021, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
This can be a pretty contentious issue. Some people really buy into the expiration dates. But two things cause tire rubber to deteriorate rapidly, ultraviolet light and ozone gas. Premium tire manufacturers add anti-oxidants like Santoflex to the rubber compounds that are pretty good at slowing the process. Five or six years is a good recommendation for the "typical" vehicle that's parked outdoors at mid-latitudes. That's about what I've gotten on trailer tires here in Texas. But classic and antique cars that are kept inside well-sealed and dark garages both night and day can have tires like new for decades. Its all about exposure.

There is a limit tho and if you've ever watched "Chasing Classic Cars", I do kind of cringe when Wayne pulls a half million dollar car out of a barn, barely gets it running and immediately takes it out on the highway in front of his shop on the original tires. Of course he won't change them because they're "original", but a half million dollars on the line and tires 50 years old I just couldn't do. However, I spent part of today "exercising" a $20K classic car with 20 year old tires. Just do like people have been doing since tires were invented. Inspect your tires very closely on a regular basis and keep your senses keen. If you start to see some fine micro-cracking starting to form or if you start to notice they sound different or ride different, then its getting to be about time.
I agree 100%. Have owned classic cars that are garaged and hardly driven. I have found the results to be as you described.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:18 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DocDsXK
Should I replace tires based on tire age alone? Replacing tires every 6 years regardless of wear seems to be a not uncommon recommendation. I have about 6000 miles on my 7 year old Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Excellent tread, no sidewall cracking, no uneven wear, no sign of any damage. Garaged car with very limited harsh weather and UV exposure. I know that tire compounds do deteriorate with time but throwing these "good looking tires" away just seems wasteful.
Regards
Tires don't last more than 10 years. Rubber compound breaks down. They will become extremely unstable like you are driving on ice. Don't test this, it isn't worth it.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:20 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I recommend “exercising” the tires so they need to be replaced in 6ish years.
“stray currents” also degrade tires. My boat trailer , while enjoying the outdoors in Texas, 4 of the 5 tire got side wall cracks after 6 years(give or take). Replaced 4 tires twice in about 15 years. 2 tires north facing, 3 tires south facing. Lots of sun on the south facing. The spare tire was off the ground and never had side wall cracks. All 4 tires on the ground had side wall cracking after many years.
So, like rust never sleeps, tire degradation never sleeps either.
tires , like gas are consumables.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:36 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Short and smart answer is yes, replace. Most tire establishments now have posted signs about tire age and when they will no longer work on them. Most tire manufacturers also have statements about age. I am an accident reconstructionist and 9/10 times there is a clause in your insurance policy that says coverage is void if there is defective equipment on the vehicle in the event of an accident and they will hire someone like me to find these things

Old 01-21-2021, 10:55 AM
Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

I am not an expert, but rubber does deteriorate and the tire can look perfect but is dangerous. I read somewhere the reason for the fatal accident of Paul Walker from "2 Fast 2 Furious" was that the Porsche his friend was driving had old tires that looked perfect and they lost control because of that.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:16 AM
Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Post Nitrogen in tires (tyres)

I ALWAYS use about a 76% nitrogen mix when I fill all the tires I own, be them on the Jag, my truck, motorcycle, or even my lawn tractor. Without fail. Even my basketballs get 76% nitrogen.
I think you need to look at your basic physics, where the air we breathe out of normal atmosphere is approximately 21 vol% oxygen (20.98%) and 78 vol% nitrogen - these values are averages and may vary slightly depending on location..

So by filling your tires with atmospheric air at mean sea level (MSL) you should be getting roughly 78% nitrogen anyway unless you use air that has been stripped of O2 or fill your tires from a 100% inert gas source. Dry air is important at it removes moisture, but if your tire air is coming from an air compressor, it is already about 78% nitrogen just because that is our environment.

That is why the O2 sensor you clamp on your finger when is shows 100% absorption of O2 in your system is a reading of 21% Oxygen in your blood stream normal breathing.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DocDsXK
Should I replace tires based on tire age alone? Replacing tires every 6 years regardless of wear seems to be a not uncommon recommendation. I have about 6000 miles on my 7 year old Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Excellent tread, no sidewall cracking, no uneven wear, no sign of any damage. Garaged car with very limited harsh weather and UV exposure. I know that tire compounds do deteriorate with time but throwing these "good looking tires" away just seems wasteful.
Regards
Given the vehicle is garaged & the tire's mileage... personally I would 100% run them & not think anything of it. IF you kept the car outside in FL - or the tires showed any visible cracks - etc.. I would NOT But as you described I - personally - would run them & not think much of it.. Should easily last you a few more years at least. Again, my opinion from 60+ years of cars/tires & lots of high speed driving/racing etc..

Old 01-21-2021, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by neilr
......... Pure nitrogen doesn't have oxygen in it.
No Way!!!

Old 01-21-2021, 12:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yes, change

@ DocDsXK Thread Starter : YES you should.

Besides all the interesting and valid theory in this thread I can report form reality:

My XK 5.0 had 8 years in hot/sunny climate (Florida). But only 10tmls. Tires looked as new (probably not under a microscope though) and were perfectly legal.
Then I noted (now in Europe) that the car tended to spin when accelerating out of roundabouts etc.

So bad that I first wondered whether I have oil on the tires, the anti-spin not working or suchlike.
Changed to new Dunlops.
Astonishing impact really. Would never have expected THAT big difference.
Take the (very modest) cost of providing your cat with proper “shoes” !

Quick Reply: Older tires--lightly used--replace anyway?