XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Only two things I'd change!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Swisstone
Capri's are fetching big money now... Should have held onto your Capri eh!
Meh, mine was a bit of a hybrid. It had air-adjustable shocks (fitted by the previous owner) which took me ages to get right, the non-standard NZ-made alloys wheels, a cherry-bomb exhaust that was kinda loud and I fitted a 5-speed Toyota Celica gearbox after the standard 4-speed threw a layshaft. There was a company in Australia that made a huge range of bellhousings and modified clutch plates that allowed you to mate pretty much any engine/gearbox combination.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
...I guess it was called the Mercury Capri over here in the states and was marketed as a chick car... If it didn't have a big V8 over here back in the day we didn't like them...
By NZ standards, a 3.0 V6 was a muscle car - well, we had some Aussie Holden & Ford V8s, but they were expensive. The Ford V6 was a standard-issue cast-iron donk from the Zephyr/Zodiac saloons, but in a relatively light car it shifted along OK. The later 2.8 Cologne alloy V6 was a much better engine, but I couldn't afford a Mk2 Capri. With that great lump up front, weight transfer under braking or downshift made life 'interesting' - I could lock the rears by chopping it down a gear too early. And the power-on oversteer was also entertaining...

I guess driving cars like that in my youth, which were either agricultural in their handling (Capri, Beetle, Peugeot 404, Datsun 240C) or underpowered (Beetle, Mini, early Civic), makes me appreciate the sharpness and power of the Dynamic Pack XKR.

So, to get back to the thread: while there are things that could be better, the XKR is in another league compared to the cars I grew up with.

The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

The XK steers like a sportier version of the XJ. The car has to steer like a Jag FWIW, not a Lotus or McLaren...

That being said, I would to see Jag do more with the steering feel. The XE is supposed to be their best, and I think it is compared to the segment, but it's still nothing magical.