XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Open Track days....be careful!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

...or just run a car without traction and stability control altogether.

Row your own gears, learn to heel/toe, and take advantage of the fact that these experiences are still available!

One thing about he XKR-S: I find the throttle to be over-sensitive. In a car that makes its significant torque with a positive-displacement blower, I'd appreciate a more measured response early in the throttle...

Rich

Old 11-05-2014, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

My attitude to track days is that they give you the opportunity to drive the car faster than you can safely on normal roads. I don't want to race, and I don't want to set the fastest lap. That's why I didn't time any of my Nordschleife laps - I didn't want to start competing with myself. But I still had a whole lot of fun.

Track days in street cars are fine if you have the right attitude. And a whole lot safer than playing silly buggers out on the public road.

The following 5 users liked this post by Ngarara:
ralphwg (11-05-2014), richzak (11-05-2014), RobB (11-05-2014), Rw99 (11-05-2014), tberg (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Excellent video Bruce, thanks for sharing.

It looks like they had cones marking the apexes?

Mike
Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Starting off with an inexpensive car is a very good idea, but as with boats, some do move up! Here's a group that did, and they take their driving very seriously. All very experienced on track, no passing without a signal first from the car to be passed to ensure there's a meeting of the minds, car being passed lifts off the throttle to allow a clean and safe pass, no tailgating the guy ahead, 10 manned marshal stations around the track using flags to communicate with drivers, emergency equipment at the ready. Very seldom do I see a car go off at these events, and I suspect most are prepared for a full loss if it should happen as track day insurance is only now just coming to Canada.

Chasing Porsche and Ferrari just never gets old, and my favorite is the Challenge car at the end. Select full screen and 720P in the bottom right of the video screen for a clear video. Enjoy!

Old 11-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsammon
Excellent video Bruce, thanks for sharing.

It looks like they had cones marking the apexes?

Mike
Thanks Mike! This track always has cones out, but we were warned not to use them as they may not be in the right spots after the race that had been there a day or two earlier.

Bruce

Old 11-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Hey Bruce,
Great video and what a picturesque track, so beautiful. Going to Buttonwillow in a couple of weeks and all there is surrounding it is dirt and more dirt. Oh well, better to concentrate on driving. Taking my XKR for the first time and retiring the Pantera. Sent you a PM as well. Thanks for your help.
Ted

Attached Thumbnails Open Track days....be careful!-vp__4041-1024x683-.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Hey Bruce,
Great video and what a picturesque track, so beautiful. Going to Buttonwillow in a couple of weeks and all there is surrounding it is dirt and more dirt. Oh well, better to concentrate on driving. Taking my XKR for the first time and retiring the Pantera. Sent you a PM as well. Thanks for your help.
Ted

Thanks Ted. The faster tracks up here tend to have a lot of elevation change, blind corners and walls to hit if you go agricultural. Buttonwillow looks like an excellent track to probe the limits more safely. I think you may be a seasoned track rat, and if that's the case I would urge you to use that's track safety to try both Trac DSC and DSC Off. "DSC On" intervened constantly and far too easily on my '10 XKR, Trac DSC was pretty good, but it was just perfect and very controllable with DSC Off (but Federal Law ensures it will still turn on with sufficient yaw). Here's my first track report with initial impressions, and I did them for subsequent track days as well.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...erforms-62545/

Glad you're retiring the Pantera from track use...what a classic!

Bruce

Old 11-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Events like that are usually lack of talent. One should not be drifting on a racetrack. You do that in a rice bowl.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Ah yes, Bruce putting the Viper through its paces. I was sooooo close to getting a new Viper. I still love the thing. Manuals are quite rare these days. But this fully built and even track ready 997TT got the nod this time. I wish I had it in me to have two toys. I'd trade the XKR for the Viper. But I'd feel strange having both - like I'm cheating on one or the other when I drive them ;-)

Old 11-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ddsski
Events like that are usually lack of talent. One should not be drifting on a racetrack. You do that in a rice bowl.

No one has been discussing drifting here in any way, shape or form, nor would it be tolerated at any event I've ever done. In case this comment was directed to me, I was referring to the different DSC modes and how they affect car control on the race track where a degree of slip angle is desirable, but severely restricted by the DSC.

Originally Posted by Evoking
Ah yes, Bruce putting the Viper through its paces. I was sooooo close to getting a new Viper. I still love the thing. Manuals are quite rare these days. But this fully built and even track ready 997TT got the nod this time. I wish I had it in me to have two toys. I'd trade the XKR for the Viper. But I'd feel strange having both - like I'm cheating on one or the other when I drive them ;-)

I swore off of modified cars for my track passions so the TA was a good fit, but I can certainly see the appeal of your 997, and considered a 997 GT3 with a manual. Stunning ride...enjoy!

Last edited by Bruce H.; 11-06-2014 at 11:35 AM.