XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

operation of covertible roof and rear window by the smart key

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default operation of covertible roof and rear window by the smart key

Just finished installing the above module from jag wrangler and have to say it all went extremely well with no issues or problems. The instructions are very easy to follow including how to remove the rear seats and trimmings without breaking any of the plastic retaining clips. It took me about 4 hours to do the job but I was being a bit cautious and double checking. if I had to do another one the time could be halved. Well within the ability of most DIY types.

The ability to raise the rear windows when the roof is down does reduce the wind buffeting if not totally eliminating it. The option to raise and lower the roof from the smart key is a neat trick and does save time. Gives bystanders a bit of a surprise.

Tony

The following 3 users liked this post by Jagtony:
JimC64 (04-11-2015), ralphwg (04-10-2015), WhiteXKR (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Thanks for posting Tony! It is great to hear from more owners pleased with the upgrade.

In March there was a review published in Jaguar Enthusiast Magazine which can be viewed here: Jaguar Enthusiast March 2015 Vol 31 No.03

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
JimC64 (04-11-2015), Stuart S (04-10-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,359 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Steve, any chance you could divulge how many each of the X100 and X150 units you have sold? I have one of each, and It'd be cool to know where I stand among the totals of convertibles produced.
If you don't want to say, that's totally fine.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

No big secret really. I do this because I enjoy it, and I enjoy sharing the technology with other owners...not to get wealthy.

Sales of the X100 version is well into the 200's, and X150 version just passed 100 this month.

Demand for the X150 version appears to be accelerating though, and considering the lower number total vehicles, and that it has only been available about 10 months, it is doing quite well.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-11-2015 at 07:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Cee Jay (04-11-2015), JimC64 (04-11-2015), sherbercars (04-21-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

There is no better advertising than a satisfied customer, and I'm just one of 100. Steve built a superb product with comprehensive, illustrated DIY installation instructions. If I can do it, anyone can - provided you can read and follow directions. He exceeded my expectations and I'm eagerly awaiting his backup camera kit. Kudos to Steve for doing what the factory forgot.

Stuart

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
ralphwg (04-12-2015), sherbercars (04-21-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

any news on the possible firmware upgrades to also raise the windows automatically?

Old 04-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Parzival
any news on the possible firmware upgrades to also raise the windows automatically?
To be clear, the windows raise automatically when raising the top with the remote.

Parzival would like an option to set whether the windows default to all up or all down when the top is dropped (he wants them all up instead of the current default of all down)

I have promised this upgrade after the integrated rear camera kit is released for the X150. This is still a few months away.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,325 Posts
Default Successful install!

Add me to the list of successful installations!
I bought the kit before my '07 XK even arrived, back in November.
Last night was pleasantly warm, and the wife was going to be out for the evening, so I rolled up my sleeves and dug in.
Four hours later it was complete!
The wife actually came home as I was reinstalling the interior, and asked what the heck I was doing!
When I hit the remote buttons to show her the result, it put a big smile on her face, and she asked "it didn't do that before?".

Steve, I do have a couple of suggestions for the initial interior removal sequence, which would/did make it easier.

1. Before disconnecting the battery, put the top down and remove the interior pieces to get access to the installation location. You could put the top up and disconnect the battery before removing the RPD, for safety, but I removed it also before putting the top up and disconnecting the battery.
2. Taking the seat backs out, and reinstalling, is much much easier if you remove the two little brackets that hold the tabs for the windscreen. Wish I'd figured that out before struggling to get the seat backs out. With those brackets out of the way, removing/installing the seat backs is a piece of cake!

Thanks for such a great and easy to use product, it's going to be used a lot!

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 11:35 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
2. Taking the seat backs out, and reinstalling, is much much easier if you remove the two little brackets that hold the tabs for the windscreen. Wish I'd figured that out before struggling to get the seat backs out. With those brackets out of the way, removing/installing the seat backs is a piece of cake!

This was my feedback also, but the windscreen is not default on every car, and thus not always present. I removed these components completely just to have a little more room, I think I actually had the roof down all the time, as it was 38 degrees when I was installing it..

WhiteXKR (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 02:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I too just fitted the X150 kit , as you say clear concise and illustrated instructions, all done in about two and a half hours The only suggestions I could come up with to improve, if thats the right word, is to be able to install the kit with roof down, being 6ft its a tight squeeze in the back! But guessing the Jaguar control module won't allow this?? The other suggestion is a few more of the posi connectors as my sausage fingers managed to ping a few of these connectors which resulted in frantic searches! The final one is to reiterate the importance of the distance from the connectors to make the posi connections, particularly where second connection is required on the same wire.
All in all exceptionally pleased with the product 10/10 !!

WhiteXKR (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Add me to the list of successful installations!
I bought the kit before my '07 XK even arrived, back in November.
Last night was pleasantly warm, and the wife was going to be out for the evening, so I rolled up my sleeves and dug in.
Four hours later it was complete!
The wife actually came home as I was reinstalling the interior, and asked what the heck I was doing!
When I hit the remote buttons to show her the result, it put a big smile on her face, and she asked "it didn't do that before?".

Steve, I do have a couple of suggestions for the initial interior removal sequence, which would/did make it easier.

1. Before disconnecting the battery, put the top down and remove the interior pieces to get access to the installation location. You could put the top up and disconnect the battery before removing the RPD, for safety, but I removed it also before putting the top up and disconnecting the battery.

Thanks for such a great and easy to use product, it's going to be used a lot!
Originally Posted by Parzival
This was my feedback also, but the windscreen is not default on every car, and thus not always present. I removed these components completely just to have a little more room, I think I actually had the roof down all the time, as it was 38 degrees when I was installing it..
Originally Posted by Jaggy Pat
I too just fitted the X150 kit , as you say clear concise and illustrated instructions, all done in about two and a half hours The only suggestions I could come up with to improve, if thats the right word, is to be able to install the kit with roof down, being 6ft its a tight squeeze in the back! But guessing the Jaguar control module won't allow this?? The other suggestion is a few more of the posi connectors as my sausage fingers managed to ping a few of these connectors which resulted in frantic searches! The final one is to reiterate the importance of the distance from the connectors to make the posi connections, particularly where second connection is required on the same wire.
All in all exceptionally pleased with the product 10/10 !!

Thank you all for this great feedback!! I am very pleased to see more successful installations.

I appreciate the critical comments regarding the instructions. In response, I have updated the instructions on my website and that will be provided to new customers (now rev 1.9).

Changes to the document include:
-Reordered to allow interior dis-assembly and re-assembly with the top down to ease access.
-Added reference to removal of rear windscreen, when installed.
-Emphasized the important spacing of Posi-tap placement on the wires with two Posi-taps.
-Added millimeter measurements (in addition to inches) for Posi-tap placement.

I will also consider adding more spare Posi-Taps (two are currently included).

Thank you for helping to make the instructions clearer for future customers.

One note, when originally wrote the instructions last year I gave a lot of thought to writing them around performing the installation entirely with the top down, but after much experimentation, I concluded that this method is just too awkward....so no change here.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-18-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:20 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Hey Steve, Can you make a smart top for my coupe? LOL Wish I would have bought a convertible.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey DGL, must admit that living in the north of Scotland I had to think long and hard as to going for a convertible, but so glad I did!

Old 04-21-2015, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Hey Steve, Can you make a smart top for my coupe? LOL Wish I would have bought a convertible.
Maybe a can opener can help. I've seen the rescue squad remove a car roof a few times maybe you can see if they can help .

Old 04-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
-Added reference to removal of rear windscreen, when installed.
Hi Steve,

Just reviewed your revised installation instructions, and like it. However, I think you missed my meaning regarding the windscreen.

Perhaps they are not present in all cars, but in mine there are 2 small brackets that hold the receptors for the tabs on a windscreen.
These brackets extend forward, between the two upper rods that join the two seat backs together, making it 'almost' impossible to lift the seat back assembly upwards ('Step 2b' in your instructions). With them installed, you need to pull the bottom outward while trying to lift the seatbacks (not easy, this was the hardest part of the whole installation for me).
Since the left bracket gets removed as part of 'Step 4' (held on by the same left set of screw and nut that holds the black metal cover over the RPD. Now thinking that since you didn't mention it in your very detailed instructions, perhaps your car doesn't have these brackets?).

If these brackets are present, removing the inner-most screw and nut from both black covers (left and right RPDs), which hold the brackets, and then removing the brackets, before attempting to lift the seat backs, makes the disassembly MUCH easier.

In 'Part VI - Final Reasembly and Setup', in 'Step 38', reinstall the black metal cover with only the right-most screw and nut (delay the left-most set to 'Step 40').
In 'Step 40' after putting the seat backs in place, reinstall the windscreen brackets with the screws and nuts onto the black metal covers.

Hope this clarifies what I was attempting to describe. Maybe these can be optional steps, to be used if the brackets are present. Trying to get the seat backs out and back in, with those brackets present, is pure torture.

Otherwise, your detailed instructions are excellent, and I love the result!

Old 04-22-2015, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Can you post a picture of these brackets. I have the Mina windscreen and there are no brackets . It just mounts to the 2 mounting holes.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Sure thing, I'll do that.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Steve,

Just reviewed your revised installation instructions, and like it. However, I think you missed my meaning regarding the windscreen.

Perhaps they are not present in all cars, but in mine there are 2 small brackets that hold the receptors for the tabs on a windscreen.
These brackets extend forward, between the two upper rods that join the two seat backs together, making it 'almost' impossible to lift the seat back assembly upwards ('Step 2b' in your instructions). With them installed, you need to pull the bottom outward while trying to lift the seatbacks (not easy, this was the hardest part of the whole installation for me).
Since the left bracket gets removed as part of 'Step 4' (held on by the same left set of screw and nut that holds the black metal cover over the RPD. Now thinking that since you didn't mention it in your very detailed instructions, perhaps your car doesn't have these brackets?).

If these brackets are present, removing the inner-most screw and nut from both black covers (left and right RPDs), which hold the brackets, and then removing the brackets, before attempting to lift the seat backs, makes the disassembly MUCH easier.

In 'Part VI - Final Reasembly and Setup', in 'Step 38', reinstall the black metal cover with only the right-most screw and nut (delay the left-most set to 'Step 40').
In 'Step 40' after putting the seat backs in place, reinstall the windscreen brackets with the screws and nuts onto the black metal covers.

Hope this clarifies what I was attempting to describe. Maybe these can be optional steps, to be used if the brackets are present. Trying to get the seat backs out and back in, with those brackets present, is pure torture.

Otherwise, your detailed instructions are excellent, and I love the result!
Thanks for clarifying. I am guessing these brackets are for the Jaguar OEM wind deflector, which is relatively rarely fitted.

Are these the brackets: Genuine Jaguar XK XKR XKRS Wind Deflector Bracket KIT 2006 Onwards Brand NEW | eBay ?

kj07xk (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

The Adamesh screen that I have has two mounting extensions attached to the back of the screen that go into the seatbelt slots for the back seat. When one removes the windscreen they come out with the screen and when the screen is remounted the extensions need to be refitted into the slots. Therefore when installing the remote control box there are no extra brackets to deal with.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Yes! Those are the brackets, and they attach at the same point as the 'black metal cover' in your detailed instructions (with the same screw and nut).
Removing both brackets makes the seat back removal/install much easier (for those of us that have the brackets!).

Quick Reply: operation of covertible roof and rear window by the smart key