XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Orange or white light bulbs in head lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 11:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Orange or white light bulbs in head lights?

My XK (X150) has an orange bulb in each headlight. NO, not the turn signal lamps. These must be orange. But the other ones. See picture. I think it would look better with white lamps. What do you think? Keep the orange or change to white. Why are these bulbs orange anyway?

Last edited by GGG; 07-06-2020 at 10:44 AM. Reason: I replaced the "bulps"
Old 07-04-2020, 01:31 PM
Received 200 Likes on 140 Posts

I replaced all the incandescent bulbs in the head light assemblies with white LEDs except the turn signals which were replace with the silver incandescent bulbs. They look very good and of course flash amber.

The following users liked this post:
peterv8 (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 02:19 PM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by JackJohn
I replaced all the incandescent bulbs in the head light assemblies with white LEDs except the turn signals which were replace with the silver incandescent bulbs. They look very good and of course flash amber.
Me too!
Looks so much better.:-)

Old 07-05-2020, 06:23 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by JackJohn
Me three!

Old 07-05-2020, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by hwverwoerd
Keep the orange or change to white. Why are these bulbs orange anyway?
Depends upon the law where you drive your car.
In many (most, all?) states it is illegal to have anything other than amber colored side marker lights at the front of the vehicle, and red at the rear.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Received 205 Likes on 119 Posts

They make LED turn signal lights which at error free and appear to be colorless
until they are activated, then they are bright amber.. very happy with these
and white LEDS all around in the headlight.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tarokyama
They make LED turn signal lights which at error free and appear to be colorless
until they are activated, then they are bright amber.. very happy with these
and white LEDS all around in the headlight.
The OP asked about the marker bulbs, not the turn signals, but maybe someone makes something like what you described, but in a marker bulb.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I'd wait until the bulb goes and then decide.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Done
Replaced the orange bulbs with white ones. Very easy job. Just 3 bolts (1 located in the front of wheel arch). Disconnect powerwash and remove headlight unit.

I ordered LED bulbs, didn't received them yet. I think the LED lights will be even better looking.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:12 PM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Done
Replaced the orange bulbs with white ones. Very easy job. Just 3 bolts (1 located in the front of wheel arch). Disconnect powerwash and remove headlight unit.

I ordered LED bulbs, didn't received them yet. I think the LED lights will be even better looking.
LED bulbs make a fantastic difference and are well worth the cost and effort IMO. Makes the car look so much more modern somehow. I replaced all mine, front and rear and inside. There is a great thread on here somewhere with tons of detailed advice and links to places you can buy the recommended bulbs. I followed the thread and it all worked out perfectly.

The following 2 users liked this post by barnsie:
mosesbotbol (07-09-2020), peterv8 (07-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2021, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Yellow side marker

My XK (X150) has an orange bulb in each headlight. NO, not the turn signal lamps. These must be orange. But the other ones. See picture. I think it would look better with white lamps. What do you think? Keep the orange or change to white. Why are these bulbs orange anyway?

Hi Barnsie,
I bought my 2010 X150 last month and just seen last night I have exactly the same at the front. Did anyone confirm if this is standard or not?
Think I'm gonna change mine to white led. You mention a bolt under the wheel arch, where are the other 2 bolts please?
Ta

Old 11-23-2021, 02:39 PM
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Milly
Hi Barnsie,
I bought my 2010 X150 last month and just seen last night I have exactly the same at the front. Did anyone confirm if this is standard or not?
Think I'm gonna change mine to white led. You mention a bolt under the wheel arch, where are the other 2 bolts please?
Ta
Just changed them on mine to Philips 6000k white bought from that jungle store. The other 2 bolts are easy to find when you lift the bonnet. You need to unclip the headlamp washer pipe and untuck the main supply loom behind to wiggle it out.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:34 AM
Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Milly
Hi Barnsie,
Ta
I believe this was standard as my 2007 car had same setup. I changed for Osram Diadem indicator bulbs and Philips XtremeVision Pro150 W5W for both sidelights. Looks much nicer.

I would go LED but worry they are so visable in the lenses that they could fail MOT.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:32 AM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Time to restore those lenses ^^

The difference will be night and day!

Old 11-22-2023, 05:23 PM

I replaced my indicators bulbs with these combined DRL/turn signsl bulbs. Bought from that Chinese site, 2 years ago and still strong and bright. Before fitting them I found some drivers had difficulty seeing a low black car. I've also replaced the pale yellow W5W bulbs with Ring LED equivalents.
The first pic is the LED sidelights, the second is the DRLs which anly switch on when the headlights are off.

LED sidelights

DRLs

Old 11-22-2023, 09:04 PM
Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi.
I changed both the orange bulbs for silver ones and it definitly improve the look, it makes it much more modern.

the thing that, to me makes the car looks older are these orange reflector pieces that are not anymore on the facelift model..and so, I guess,useless.

So I wonder, does anyone knows for which market they were made for and if they are of any use?

I also wonder if anyone has ever changed /removed them and if any car tuning company produce replacing "cristal" pieces or if there's a way to replace them ?

thanks

Old 11-22-2023, 10:54 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,177 Likes on 822 Posts

Frankly, in the weather here (and fog) the high intensity ultra white bulbs, just don’t work. Too much reflection and not enough penetration through the inclement weather.

Due to that, I have also gone to yellow fog lights.
Cheers.

Old 11-23-2023, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tiepolo
Hi.
I changed both the orange bulbs for silver ones and it definitly improve the look, it makes it much more modern.

the thing that, to me makes the car looks older are these orange reflector pieces that are not anymore on the facelift model..and so, I guess,useless.

So I wonder, does anyone knows for which market they were made for and if they are of any use?

I also wonder if anyone has ever changed /removed them and if any car tuning company produce replacing "cristal" pieces or if there's a way to replace them ?

thanks
That's a complex and likely expensive solution. You could try reflective silver tape over them, or a body coloured adhesive vinyl, cut to shape. They dont really bother me, but each to their own.

Tiepolo (11-25-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Hi.

thanks
It’s a requirement in the US, amber side marker lights or reflectors in the front, and red side markers in the rear. There’s at least one thread where it has been changed or covered, by baking the headlight open to access it.

Old 11-23-2023, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Hi.

thanks
You could always do something like this, but the picture is before I replaced the orange bulb for one of those sparkly silver ones from a different thread, so ignore the orangey tint. I'm referencing the orange reflector in this case:

While the reflections and contrast on this photo turned out better than I'd thought, it's only 10% headlight tint film over the housing. I did the brake lights also and it turned out great.

McJag222 (11-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Orange or white light bulbs in head lights?