XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 11:50 PM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Overheating issue

I have been driving my Jag very little over the last few months (Due to the Coronavirus lockdown). Today I took it out for a short run and got a warning that the engine was overheating. It was about 95F in Phoenix today. I let it cool then took it the short distance home. The fans were going full blast and coolant was dripping out.
I topped up the coolant and let it cool down completely (several hours).

Tonight, I let it idle in the drive for about 20 minutes. It was about 78F at the time. The engine seemed hot, but I got no warnings. I took it on the road, and the moment I pulled away from the house, the overheating warning flashed on, then went back off. I drove it in stop and go fashion for about 20 more minutes, but it never came back on.
When I got back home, the fans weren't even running and the engine seemed no hotter than usual.

Sticky Thermostat? Or?

Old 10-21-2020, 12:44 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

You said coolant dripped out, did you see where from? Could be the thermostat as you said.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:12 AM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Investigate the loss of coolant.

The plastic thermostat housing is a known weak spot on your car. Let us know what you find.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar issue a few months ago, and it was a mystery because I could never see where the coolant was leaking. There was a crack in the coolant expansion tank where the hose connects. Car ran absolutely fine until the engine got hot and it pressurized, then a very very fine mist of coolant would spray out of the small crack. Check that out as well. I had to refill the coolant reservoir three or four times before I found the leak, but, hey, I checked "change coolant" off my to do list at the same time.

Replacing the coolant reservoir is really easy if that turns out to be the problem.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Overheating on these engines is a serious issue, something that can easily cost you your engine. Please don't drive it or idle it until you figure out coolant loss. If you have to take it to the mechanic, get it towed.

The following users liked this post:
DlsXK (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 09:54 AM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd worry if it keeps alerting you of overheating. If coolant is low, it is going somewhere. There is a bleed screw on reservoir that will help get air out of the system when filling. Not sure if that would account for low level, but I had to top off mine this year from sitting and after a heat warning. It has not reappeared. Look for any evidence of fluid loss, white smoke from exhaust, etc. There are dye kits that use UV light to find leaks. If the thermostat is older, change anyway, it is fairly easy to change. It was the 1st thing I did outside of more regular maintenance.

Had an issue with other car where small crack in reservoir just below fill marks. When under pressure, fluid leaked out. Never saw it when sitting, but always low. Car would run hot. After constant top offs and worry about a bigger problem, I removed and inspected tank. Filled with water and found the weep. So make no assumptions. Vehicle common issues and detective work seem like the best avenues.

We get close to 75 degrees here in New England today so I am going to take it for a ride today to get the top down.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Overheating

Originally Posted by J4GU4R
I have been driving my Jag very little over the last few months (Due to the Coronavirus lockdown). Today I took it out for a short run and got a warning that the engine was overheating. It was about 95F in Phoenix today. I let it cool then took it the short distance home. The fans were going full blast and coolant was dripping out.

Tonight, I let it idle in the drive for about 20 minutes. It was about 78F at the time. The engine seemed hot, but I got no warnings. I took it on the road, and the moment I pulled away from the house, the overheating warning flashed on, then went back off. I drove it in stop and go fashion for about 20 more minutes, but it never came back on.
When I got back home, the fans weren't even running and the engine seemed no hotter than usual.

Sticky Thermostat? Or?
I had same problem it was the thermostat housing was cracked and then at 150 mph a big peace broke off ended in the water pump Mack shurr

you have all peace’s you won’t find this part any where take your vin number to dealers parts department when you buy it’s about $187.00

Old 10-22-2020, 11:28 AM
Default Overheating

At first I thought that I was going to get all the problems every one was having with this car they had to jump start the car that day drove it for a week no problems then sometimes it didn’t want to start so I looked at the most important things to this car and that’s the key change the battery $6 at auto zone have no problems I take 400 trips miles from Dallas to Laredo 800 miles round trip no problems I love my car this car is not for everyone It’s made to go fast I do 150
Originally Posted by J4GU4R

Sticky Thermostat? Or?
I had same problem it was the thermostat housing was cracked and then at 150 mph a big peace broke off ended in the water pump Mack shurr

you have all peace’s you won’t find this part any where take your vin number to dealers parts department when you buy it’s about $187.00

Old 10-22-2020, 11:41 AM

Looking for a good place here in New England to stretch the legs out a bit with +150 being my goal. I do not want to hijack this thread, but since you mentioned TexasDang, any specific precautions taken for the speeds you are hitting? Do you wear any protective gear or do any specific maintenance in prep for this speed. If this sounds like a loaded question it is not. Just want to learn anything I can. What is your top speed? These are limited at 186. Time for a fastest speed in your XK thread..if it doesnt already exist.

Oh, and to keep on topic, I have the Android Torque app and OBDII dongle. I believe it has temps the computer is seeing for intake, coolant, etc. Pretty cheap diagnostic tool and may shed light on where /if temp issue exists. Also has GPS speed logging for the speed tests.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

A 4.2 with a limit of 186 mph. I thought that was only the XKR-S that had this?

A bog standard 4.2 XKR with the factory limiter is 155, my 5.0 Dynamic is supposedly 174

Old 10-22-2020, 04:25 PM
Default Top speed 160

Originally Posted by J5hort
Looking for a good place here in New England to stretch the legs out a bit with +150 being my goal. I do not want to hijack this thread, but since you mentioned TexasDang, any specific precautions taken for the speeds you are hitting? Do you wear any protective gear or do any specific maintenance in prep for this speed. If this sounds like a loaded question it is not. Just want to learn anything I can. What is your top speed? These are limited at 186. Time for a fastest speed in your XK thread..if it doesnt already exist.

Oh, and to keep on topic, I have the Android Torque app and OBDII dongle. I believe it has temps the computer is seeing for intake, coolant, etc. Pretty cheap diagnostic tool and may shed light on where /if temp issue exists. Also has GPS speed logging for the speed tests.
this is my daily driver so I’m always looking for anything out there that looks out of order look at your tiers make sure you have fresh change of oil check your brakes look under your car for any kind of leaks and if you’re planning on going fast make shurr your clear to run with no one else around you use caution at all times and don’t go stomping on your gas pedal take it ez and pay attention to your cat should be smoot I’m old so I’m always driving safe at any speed I get to go fast when I’m going out of town in the open road know the road I have traveled it since I was 16 so I know where the bear’s hang out be safe.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:29 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

Yes, do replace the thermostat housing with the metal one.
As for wanting to see your real acceleration and top speed, please be responsible unto others and try that at a race track or airport runway. I've done both. What fun!
Little obvious things like SUSPENSION! (especially condition of bushings) BRAKES! (pads and fluid) TIRES! Oil change before and after, and a coolant flush before. And I went further and changed the fluids in the transmission and differential before and after as well. Yes, some tracks insist you to wear a helmet.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:42 PM

Most tracks I've looked into for membership or track day for Jag clubs require helmet (which is no problem) but will not allow convertibles. I was not planning anything over 90 on the street or hwy. Seeing that when I'm cruising in the center lane going 75-80 small econoboxes are whizzing by like I am standing still. Info and reminder on coolant, oil change is helpful. Thx.

The following users liked this post:
guy (10-22-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 06:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the only time I have noted the coolant as low - and that was after I got the heat warning. My thought was that sitting over the summer in the Phoenix heat may have caused some to evaporate and caused it to run too warm today. I'm going to have it looked at...maybe tomorrow.