XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Overheating and smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 08:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overheating and smoke

Hey everyone just got a new to me 2007 XKR with 250k kms (yes it's up there) indigo blue with the soft top! So drove it a few times and I noticed one sound like a click that would happen every couple of minutes once the ignition was on... or engine. But one key thing was on the day it overheated, earlier there was a squealing belt noise that increased with speed. This was only affected by throttle and turning my steering didn't change its pitch, so I ruled out the steering motor. Could this be a waterpump failure? When the jag began overheating it starts to produce a lot of steam or smoke from under the engine bay. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-16-2024, 08:37 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The cause should be the belt tensioner is not doing its thing, so the belt is slipping on the water pump. A lot of steam pouring out is over the top. Don' do that again. Buy a water temp gauge that plugs into the OBD2 port, now. You should need a new tensioner, if the belt is still good. Or go all out and change the belt, and water pump as well. Add antifreeze. (coolant)

The following 2 users liked this post by sony2000:
Mikesoja (07-16-2024), SNAPCHAT (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by sony2000
The cause should be the belt tensioner is not doing its thing, so the belt is slipping on the water pump. A lot of steam pouring out is over the top. Don' do that again. Buy a water temp gauge that plugs into the OBD2 port, now. You should need a new tensioner, if the belt is still good. Or go all out and change the belt, and water pump as well. Add antifreeze. (coolant)

Thank you, that would be a much cheaper fix than a new water pump.. hopefully that is the issue! I'd like to work on the Jag myself if possible, do you think this would be a feasible job or would you recommend going to a shop that's more knowledgeable?

Old 07-16-2024, 10:21 AM

Changing the tension requires getting to it. That could be the hard part. A good independent garage has the skills to get to it from underneath.
Go there with the part in hand. It doesn't have to come from Jaguar. You may want to show up with the belt as well. They can be inexpensive.
Check the water pump for rotation and leaks. You may want to show up with a cheap pump as well. lol. Keep the bills for returns....

The following users liked this post:
Mikesoja (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by sony2000
Changing the tension requires getting to it. That could be the hard part. A good independent garage has the skills to get to it from underneath.
Go there with the part in hand. It doesn't have to come from Jaguar. You may want to show up with the belt as well. They can be inexpensive.
Check the water pump for rotation and leaks. You may want to show up with a cheap pump as well. lol. Keep the bills for returns....
Great advice, I'll try to get the water pump and tensioner plus belts. Maybe Rock Auto and bring it to my shop. Thanks again.

Old 07-16-2024, 10:52 AM

I do Rockauto!!!

Mikesoja (07-16-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 09:51 AM
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikesoja
Hey everyone just got a new to me 2007 XKR with 250k kms (yes it's up there) indigo blue with the soft top! So drove it a few times and I noticed one sound like a click that would happen every couple of minutes once the ignition was on... or engine. But one key thing was on the day it overheated, earlier there was a squealing belt noise that increased with speed. This was only affected by throttle and turning my steering didn't change its pitch, so I ruled out the steering motor. Could this be a waterpump failure? When the jag began overheating it starts to produce a lot of steam or smoke from under the engine bay. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Probably the small coolant pipe from top of the expansion tank to front of the motor where it splits in a Y. I had same happen to me - belt squeal and smoke. Easy to diagnose and replace. Took me 10 minutes.

Mikesoja (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by yidal8
Probably the small coolant pipe from top of the expansion tank to front of the motor where it splits in a Y. I had same happen to me - belt squeal and smoke. Easy to diagnose and replace. Took me 10 minutes.
So I actually put some coolant in and saw a large leak coming from the back of the motor(below the windhield wiper area) as i poured it in it all leaked right out within 5 min. Not sure what is back there? Hose? I'm sure I'd have to remove the supercharger and the top manifold (is this the Y you're describing?) I circled in a reference photo the area that the coolant is coming from if you were to look from below.

Old 07-26-2024, 01:16 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,160 Likes on 811 Posts

You really need to take a look at the workshop manual. Graham has a sticky for it at the top of this forum.
You may have initiated a split valley hose with your overheating episode.
Replacing all coolant hoses is a maintenance requirement and some ignore the valley hoses as its an involved task. Of course, that would be a mistake.

Cheers

Mikesoja (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,483 Likes on 3,229 Posts

There are two Throttle Body coolant lines under that spot. Take off the intake tubes and the top "T" off the throttle body. You can see/feel down there where the lines are using a flashlight. You can also about see if there are any other wet spots down there from a valley hose problem.
To do this cold, a pressure cap could be used. They are pretty cheap to buy.

guy (07-27-2024)