XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Overwhelmed by New XKR (other car collecting dust)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
The XK sold with 18's and looked darn good, and for wheel size the only real world numbers I can think of that is an improvement on big rims is "turn-in" and "longevity". Turn-in improves because of the short firm sidewalls, and longevity improves because less tire is in contact with the ground.

When you step from a 18 to a 20, grip goes down, un-sprung weight goes up, ride harshness goes up, total tire in contact with the road at any given time goes down(referencing suspension travel while driving), cost of tires goes up, cost of rims goes up, frequency of damage goes up....

Most any technical measurement related to "Performance" always puts the big rims on the loosing side. They do however look good, and that is what makes many owners happy.... (And being happy about ownership is what this thread is all about!)
If this is the case then when do we stop? 15"?

Old 10-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL

I may buy another convertible for next summer, but it will need to be a performance car.

The bottom line is the XKR, IMO, is one nice driving machine.
Why you didn't buy an Convert XKRS?With that, you don't need 3 or 4 cars. It as everything you like. Convertible, great sound (specialy top donw)performance, dynamique pack, 10 mm lower and what a performance. Stlll amazed everyday with mine.

Guy

PS: Will be in storge next week for 5 months

Old 10-19-2013, 05:18 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Quebecjag
Why you didn't buy an Convert XKRS?With that, you don't need 3 or 4 cars. It as everything you like. Convertible, great sound (specialy top donw)performance, dynamique pack, 10 mm lower and what a performance. Stlll amazed everyday with mine.

Guy

PS: Will be in storge next week for 5 months
I bought my 2013 XKR with all the options I wanted and the color I wanted at a fantastic price with only 300 miles from new. So, I jumped on it. I'll miss the convertible but I'll enjoy the Jag more.

I'll be laying mine up on the first snow fall, normally December, when the salt hits the road. I wouldn't take it out until late March. About 4 months. I know the feeling--it seems like years.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
If this is the case then when do we stop? 15"?
Lets not be silly... your limited by balancing out rotor size...
I'm merely pointing out that many today are misled by professional marketing, rather than reality.

Big rims are big money, and if the average consumer actually understood suspension dynamics and the flaws big rims create, profit margins would suffer. Hence they are quick to market the words "Performance" and "Big", because it is an easy sell (we have all been conditioned to believe bigger is better, right?).... Easy money.

The reality is far from what a marketing would have you to believe, and an understanding of physics and suspension dynamics helps us peal away those marketing lies.

In the end, I understand that big rims look good, and those focused on looks have every right to do as they wish, but I hope to show that those that are quick to believe marketing hype will take pause, and question how much is truth and how much is profit driven.

Vince

Old 10-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Id like to see some pics of the DGL XKR!!!!! The few when you got it just are not enough!! It is a beast of a beauty!!!

Old 10-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

DGL....enjoy the XKR. It's an awesome ride and has so many great qualities as mentioned here by so many other owners.

Just a comment about wheels. Jaguar does a great job in matching wheel design and wheel & tire size to these cars. I don't see why so many owners want to make modifications to these cars, changing rims, changing tires etc. These cars are expertly engineered to perform and have almost perfect rides direct from the Jaguar factory.

Stick to what you have. Any potential costs to make changes will only change the looks and possible ride of the car. Most of the time the cost related to the modifications and changes can not be recovered.

I am a strong believer that owners of these premium rides need to keep them just the way the manufactuer intended them to be made. A tremendous amount of research and design went into these cars before they are even produced.

I have not seen any Jaguar Xk or XKR come out of the factory by design with funky wheel sizes. The beauty to these cars are the best just as they roll of the asembly line in Coventry.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

The factory 20" wheels on my 2010 XKR are surely a little heavier than the 19s (no 18" ever available), but the car's suspension was designed to run them just like some older models were designed to run 18/19". I've aggressively tracked mine numerous times around high-speed road courses, a tighter country club style track, and twisty and uneven country roads, and the car just handles them all incredibly well proving beyond any doubt that they are perfectly matched to the rest of the suspension set-up. 20" wheels and tires won't give any XK/XKR driver handling difficulty.

I also track a car that came with light-weight 15" wheels and respected that design when upgrading wheels and tires. I also swapped wheels from another car onto it just to see how those much heavier and larger wheels affected performance and it definitely degraded it. That is nothing like running the factory 19s or 20s on the XK, and it's time to stop beating that horse unless we're discussing gutting out an XK/XKR and converting it into a dedicated race car.

Bruce

Old 10-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
The factory 20" wheels on my 2010 XKR are surely a little heavier than the 19s
What you need are Vulcans off an R-S - forged one-piece, 4.8kg total reduction in unsprung weight.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
What you need are Vulcans off an R-S - forged one-piece, 4.8kg total reduction in unsprung weight.
I plan to go for double that weight reduction where it'll do me more good...the nut behind the wheel!

Last edited by Bruce H.; 10-20-2013 at 06:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ngarara (10-21-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Id like to see some pics of the DGL XKR!!!!! The few when you got it just are not enough!! It is a beast of a beauty!!!
I love just the way it is with the Vulcan polished rims, included with the dynamic pack. I changed the reflectors to clear, not shown in pictures, and they make the front look so clean and modern with the polished rims and LED lights. Hey Loth, How's the new ride?

Attached Thumbnails Overwhelmed by New XKR (other car collecting dust)-p1010918.jpg   Overwhelmed by New XKR (other car collecting dust)-p1010929.jpg   Overwhelmed by New XKR (other car collecting dust)-p1010914.jpg  

Last edited by DGL; 10-20-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:35 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I plan to go for double that weight reduction where it'll do me more good...the nut behind the wheel!

Or is it the nut behind the fifth wheel!

Old 10-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Or is it the nut behind the fifth wheel!
That's the one he means ;-)

Mind you, that's sprung weight, not unsprung (must be jelly 'cause jam don't wobble)

Old 10-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Hey, I just got back from a two week cruise where the meals were outstanding! I lost my first pound yesterday and will let you know when I've shaved off the 4.8 kg