XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

P blockage

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question P blockage

Hallo,

Can anyone helo with some advice please?
I have experienced a problem with my automatic gearbox in my XK Jaguar (made in 2006).
Twice now, after normal parking (and no strange or unusual actions by us) the gear stick has become blocked in P. It was impossible to move it out of P.
Each time we have tried to restart the car and start the whole procedure of locking, unlocking etc but to no avail.
After some time ( an hour or a couple of hours), it has been possible to drive again.

We have let the AA and the Jaguar garage look at the car and software & there seems to be nothing wrong at all. There are no software errors and no problems to be seen in the past..

Does anyone recognise this problem? Could we be doing something wrong (I'm thinking about the alarm settings or anti-theft settings?)

We would appreciate some advice if anyone has it. Thanks a lot Gail

Old 03-07-2021, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Sounds like the brake pedal switch is failing or the park solenoid. Reading the codes will help.

The following users liked this post:
jons (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 05:13 AM

Thanks Jim, I think we will take it to another dealer and see what they say about your 2 suggestions too. Last week the other garage didn't notice anything when they looked at the software... I think that is what you mean about reading the codes? (sorry completely non technical here!). Thanks for your reply. Bye Gail

Old 03-07-2021, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Gail,

Welcome to the Forum! You'll find lots of knowledgeable and helpful members here. Because our X150 models are getting on in years, many questions have already been asked and answered. You can find those answers by using the Advanced Search function, but it takes a while to learn how. A quick and easy alternative is to use Google and start your search with "Jaguar X150 Forums" (note the s in Forums) followed by a few key words that describe your problem. That's how I found this thread that might help fix your "stuck in park" problem.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-park-237861/

Our cars are packed with electronic modules that are very sensitive and begin to fail when the battery is weak. That causes all sorts of electrical glitches. So, the first thing to check is the condition of your battery. I'll let you search and find out how to do it. Another thing is that when a battery is low, it can cause some of those modules to store incorrect information. Think of your car as a computer that is hung up and you have to reboot it to get it to work again. For our cars, that's called a Hard Reset and it clears the volatile memory in those modules. I'll let you Google that, too.

One last point. As a new member, know that if you find that a post has been helpful, you can say "thanks" by pressing the button at the bottom right of the page.

Good luck!

Stuart

gwright (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 08:52 AM
Received 197 Likes on 125 Posts

this has happened to me on other cars, and is probably the same in these cars, although i don't know for sure.

there is a spring-loaded, plastic detent inside the shifter housing which prevents the operator from selecting a mode other than park. depressing the brake pedal tells the computer to operate a solenoid which moves that detent out of the way, freeing the selector. this is important because without it, you can turn the car off, move the selector to something other than park, push-button start the vehicle, and then lift off the brake by habit, launching the car forward into a wall or curb or something (or rolling if you happened to pick neutral).

in some cars there's a knockout which if you snap off, allows access to the detent, so you can manually depress it (with a pen or screwdriver or something) and thus move the shifter again. here's what these look like inside of a nissan.

The following 2 users liked this post by jons:
gwright (03-08-2021), MarkyUK (03-07-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 03:08 AM

Thanks Stuart. will do. Good tips. Bye Gail

Old 03-08-2021, 03:11 AM

Thanks Jons. That's what the AA man tried to do (according to him this is a simple reset with a screwdriver). Unfortunately we understood that in models from 2006 (our year) this is no longer built in so not possible.....pfff.
So thanks for your suggestion! Very kind. Bye Gail

Old 03-08-2021, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

My Father-in-Law had P-blockage. He had a TURP done and he's okay now.
TURP = Trans Urethral Retraction of the Prostate

kj07xk (03-08-2021)