XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

P0128 and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 09:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0128 and other issues

Hello-
I've read through many posting about P0128 and have not been able to use advice to correct the issue I'm having so I'm hoping if I explain my symptoms it might help others help me.
2011 XKR 175
Issues- P0128 code keeps returning
Resolutions I've tried
Replaced the thermostat twice- OEM
Replaced Coolant temperature sensor twice
Replace Coolant using a vacuum system to ensure no air is in coolant system- Orange coolant

As of last week the new battery was dead and had to jump start car - I've not driven it in 2 weeks.
Speed controller A code popped up after jump started and tranny acted funny- gear box fault.
Temperature runs somewhere between 183 and 203 degrees and does go back an forth between the range
Reset MIL and drove for 2 hours but P0 128 still pending when checked with scanner along with Evap and EGR cycle not complete - therefore the Emission system is not cycled for car to pass Emission test yet
Is it typical for these cars to be in second gear from a dead stop? Used paddles to start out in first and shifted through gears without any issues
I have several Jags- 2 XJ and have a lot of mechanical training but this is boggling my knowledge and cannot resolve.
With check engine light coming on the car will not pass Emissions test.

Not much information posted on 2011 series issues - most has been for 4.2 liters engines.
Mine is a SC 5.0.

Please post advice and possible solutions. Thank you

Old 12-20-2022, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,428 Likes on 3,206 Posts

You may have a low battery problem, which usually affects many different subsystems. You COULD try a Hard Reset to start stuff from scratch.
As for the Dead Stop in Second, that's a paddle thing. The trans shifts itself down to second to avoid damage by starting from a higher gear like third or higher. When in AUTO mode, it does shift itself to First at a dead stop.

The following users liked this post:
guy (12-21-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0128 and other issues

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
You may have a low battery problem, which usually affects many different subsystems. You COULD try a Hard Reset to start stuff from scratch.
As for the Dead Stop in Second, that's a paddle thing. The trans shifts itself down to second to avoid damage by starting from a higher gear like third or higher. When in AUTO mode, it does shift itself to First at a dead stop.
Thank you for the reply -
Hard Reset? Is that were you take both battery cables off and touch them together to discharge the entire system and then reconnect to battery a little later?

As far as second gear- I was in Auto mode at a stop light and pulled the minus paddle back and I could see the gear indicator showing 2nd. But this was out of concern caused by the Gear Box Default light illuminating just after I had pressed the gas pedal down for a quick take off and trans acted like it didn't know what gear to shift to.

Thank you

Old 12-20-2022, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,428 Likes on 3,206 Posts

Yes, touch the battery CABLES together for a Hard Reset, completely avoiding the battery.
If you were in SPORT mode and paddles, the Rev Limiter may have kicked in. That can make a big ole debacle and make you look like a fool at a stop light. I've done it myself. The first Upshift needs to happen VERY quickly as the engine revs up very fast in first gear, and kind of quickly in second.