XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Paddle shifter extensions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020 | 12:49 PM
|
Default Paddle shifter extensions

So I have been using the paddle shifters a lot more recently. Anyone know where to get the aluminum paddle extensions I have seen in older posts? Earlier threads have links to click on that are no longer good. I would prefer the ones that I saw that had set screws along with the 3m tape. thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2020 | 12:53 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Old 10-16-2020 | 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

All Jaguar and Land Rover models use the exact same paddle shiters so you may have luck searching with other makes/models.

Old 10-17-2020 | 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nsions-192624/
My thread is 3 years old and the link to my vendor no longer works. Cost under $35, the OEM illuminated paddle is still visible. Curved to match the steering wheel.

Last edited by Stuart S; 10-17-2020 at 07:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Clellandm (10-29-2020)
Old 10-23-2020 | 08:03 AM

kazi,

Adding extensions to the paddles suggests that your normal hand position on the wheel is 10 and 2, or close. That's certainly the way I learned (quite a while ago...) and I used that technique until a couple of years ago. That's when I came across articles advising that in driving a car with a driver's airbag the safer position for your hands is 9 and 3, even 8 and 4. The data from accidents in which airbags deployed showed more injuries when the driver had his hands higher on the wheel. The airbag forced the hands toward the face or the roof, causing facial and wrist fractures.

I am certainly not trying to tell you how to drive, but I thought this info might be worth considering.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mack:
MarkyUK (10-23-2020), miles61 (10-23-2020)
Old 10-24-2020 | 12:14 PM
|

Bill,
I've been practicing proper steering technique while using the paddles because I didn't have any consistency in the way I was driving when I went through the canyons recently. I like 9 and 3. I find myself either resting my thumbs on the steering wheel spokes that are pretty much 9 and 3, or putting my thumbs right above the spokes where there is a little notch in the steering wheel. Just like 10 and 2, hand over hand is also something that has been phased out of racing because of steering wheel size. For everyday driving this is impractical, but in most cases i've noticed it's possible to replace hand over hand by shuffling hand position right before you make a tight turn. I've been having lots of fun with this even if its for my "race car" fantasy driving technique while commuting to work. With all that being said, I'm confident enough in my manhood to say that I have small hands. I know these extensions will help because now that I know where I want my hands on the wheel, I would benefit from having the paddles extended higher. I'm stretching my fingers a little more than I would like when shifting.

Old 10-24-2020 | 12:44 PM

kazi,

I am glad to hear it. Have fun with fantasy racing!

Old 10-24-2020 | 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Fantasy racing is like fantasy sex. Well, you know ...

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Bill Mack (10-24-2020), MarkyUK (11-02-2020)
Old 10-25-2020 | 12:43 PM
|

The million dollar question is.....which one is better?

Old 10-25-2020 | 06:51 PM
|

I go for a streamlined look on cars. Your eye is not drawn to anything in particular so the car as a whole is being taken in. Some would think this can be too boring, but I think our cars speak for themselves and don't need to cry out for attention. Broke my own rule with these. Not matching as good as gunmetal, silver or black. But I think I love them because it's my own little secret flair I know I can get away with.

Bill Mack (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020 | 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kazi
I go for a streamlined look on cars. Your eye is not drawn to anything in particular so the car as a whole is being taken in. Some would think this can be too boring, but I think our cars speak for themselves and don't need to cry out for attention. Broke my own rule with these. Not matching as good as gunmetal, silver or black. But I think I love them because it's my own little secret flair I know I can get away with.
Yours are exactly the same as mine (Post #4, above), except I prefer the matching color. Here's the photo of mine again so you can compare the difference.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Clellandm (10-29-2020), MarkyUK (11-02-2020)
Old 10-25-2020 | 10:57 PM
|

It was hard for me not to get those, especially since I love gunmetal shades. Looking at my picture it doesn't even look that great. It helps I had the car on showing red dash lights! I just don't get why I really like these. But I guess that's what car enthusiasts are all about. Making it for YOU so that YOU enjoy it.

Old 10-26-2020 | 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Mine are like Stratus s's.

Old 10-27-2020 | 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Mine are like Stratus s's.
Who, me? Looks like you're another victim of autocorrect.

Old 10-28-2020 | 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

You are correct.

Old 11-01-2020 | 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
kazi,

Adding extensions to the paddles suggests that your normal hand position on the wheel is 10 and 2, or close. That's certainly the way I learned (quite a while ago...) and I used that technique until a couple of years ago. That's when I came across articles advising that in driving a car with a driver's airbag the safer position for your hands is 9 and 3, even 8 and 4. The data from accidents in which airbags deployed showed more injuries when the driver had his hands higher on the wheel. The airbag forced the hands toward the face or the roof, causing facial and wrist fractures.

I am certainly not trying to tell you how to drive, but I thought this info might be worth considering.
Originally Posted by kazi
Bill,
I've been practicing proper steering technique while using the paddles because I didn't have any consistency in the way I was driving when I went through the canyons recently. I like 9 and 3. I find myself either resting my thumbs on the steering wheel spokes that are pretty much 9 and 3, or putting my thumbs right above the spokes where there is a little notch in the steering wheel. Just like 10 and 2, hand over hand is also something that has been phased out of racing because of steering wheel size. For everyday driving this is impractical, but in most cases i've noticed it's possible to replace hand over hand by shuffling hand position right before you make a tight turn. I've been having lots of fun with this even if its for my "race car" fantasy driving technique while commuting to work. With all that being said, I'm confident enough in my manhood to say that I have small hands. I know these extensions will help because now that I know where I want my hands on the wheel, I would benefit from having the paddles extended higher. I'm stretching my fingers a little more than I would like when shifting.
from a few hours research on youtube (over time) plus practice on street, i've learned that you're going to want to use 9 and 3, and you're going to pull that seat forward, just so you aren't beyond your own physical limits when the mood strikes you to put the pedal down. sit close enough to the wheel that your elbows are comfortably bent, and so that you don't have to shuffle 95% of the time. making a 90 degree turn from a stop, you should be at or just beyond "full lock" for your arms (not for the vehicle's steering) to the point where you might start to prefer to shuffle, but don't necessarily have to (if that makes any sense). out of my view history, off the top of my head, i can offer these:

and my favorite:

having done this i don't see the need for the paddle extensions, but, i can't see how they'd be bad in any way. i might get them just for the red accent.

Old 11-01-2020 | 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jons
from a few hours research on youtube (over time) plus practice on street, i've learned that you're going to want to use 9 and 3, and you're going to pull that seat forward, just so you aren't beyond your own physical limits when the mood strikes you to put the pedal down. sit close enough to the wheel that your elbows are comfortably bent, and so that you don't have to shuffle 95% of the time. making a 90 degree turn from a stop, you should be at or just beyond "full lock" for your arms (not for the vehicle's steering) to the point where you might start to prefer to shuffle, but don't necessarily have to (if that makes any sense). out of my view history, off the top of my head, i can offer these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y--STIRClMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBKI72eqVNo
and my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQn7iYiXpTc

having done this i don't see the need for the paddle extensions, but, i can't see how they'd be bad in any way. i might get them just for the red accent.
Did you mention “red”, here’s mine.

Old 11-01-2020 | 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Did you mention “red”, here’s mine.
that is excellent! buuut i would try to match the custom headliner i had done, which wouldn't go with that sort of glossy/wet carbon look. that almost makes me want to have the headliner redone though, they look that good.

jimbov8 (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020 | 12:38 PM

I have an original aluminum paddles. They are ~1cm (0,5 inch) bigger than plastic ones. I will post a picture somewhere in the future.

Old 11-01-2020 | 12:45 PM
|

Jons, looks like im going to have to use number 2 seat memory for that closer seat position. I can already see in my head how that will give me more control on turns. Jim don't slip while shifting on those wet paddle extensions! They need to come out with a kit that replaces the oem paddles with my aluminum red and red carbon extensions like Jim's so I can have both materials.

jons (11-01-2020)