XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts
Default Paint chips

Immediately after purchasing my car 2 years ago I had a clear bra installed on the front bumper of my 2010 XK Coupe. I had a clear bra on my 04 G35 Coupe front bumper for the 10 years of ownership. It saved me many times over. I have put on 3,000 gentle miles in the 2 years of ownership and do mostly city driving while being super careful on the highways (staying a distance from any trucks). After only 8,400 miles of which I drove 3,000, I noticed some very tiny chips on both front fenders where they bulge out. I didn't want to get a clear bra for the fender and hood because I know there are still imperfections under any clear bra and wasn't sure how vulnerable the fenders would be. There are no chips on the hood. Now I'm thinking of getting a partial covering on the front section of both fenders but am hesitant because of the noticeable line and the slight difference in color where it is applied. Not sure what to do at this point. The chips are super tiny, but now I know the car is vulnerable at the front fender wheel arch area. How are you guys fairing with paint chips on the nose of your cars? I have the liquid silver. Thanks all.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

You already know the answers so there's nothing new we can add. It is all a trade off. Driving, regardless of how careful you may be WILL incur rock chips, some worse than others. IF the clear bra is good material and done properly there is no color difference and virtually zero in terms of visible line but does that out weight the rock chips? The costs of having it done right can easily run over $2000. There are many myths about yellowing, peeling paint when removing, etc but absolutely zero truth to them. It's all what you're willing to tolerate and willing to pay...

Old 11-23-2015, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
You already know the answers so there's nothing new we can add. It is all a trade off. Driving, regardless of how careful you may be WILL incur rock chips, some worse than others. IF the clear bra is good material and done properly there is no color difference and virtually zero in terms of visible line but does that out weight the rock chips? The costs of having it done right can easily run over $2000. There are many myths about yellowing, peeling paint when removing, etc but absolutely zero truth to them. It's all what you're willing to tolerate and willing to pay...
Technology on the clear auto films has changed. The 3m Film Shield was well known for yellowing. I can personally attest to that and that specific product.

The best films to apply are now Xpel and Suntek. Any major well-established auto detailer will most likely echo these comments.

If you want to repair the small chips, D.r Colorchip is the way to go. The product will match your paint and the process is easy to complete as a DIY project.

Go to YouTube and seaarch Dr. Colorchip to see how the process is done to make repairs.

Getting rocks chips on any car surface is a given. It's very hard to eliminate the chips from happening.

The following users liked this post:
bellingerp (11-24-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

sunteck on my car. nose, full hood, front fenders, a pillars, headlights, full rockers, rear bumper befind the rear wheels. 8k miles...no chips.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Received 25 Likes on 2 Posts

It really comes down to how you drive the car.

My XKR has 75k miles on it with no bra or paint protection and there are minimal flaws in the paint. The previous owner must not have driven it much on the highway or the paint is hard as nails (doubt it). My other car I bought second hand had 94k and the front end and rear fenders were destroyed. The previous owner commuted almost 100miles a day on a major highway, so no surprise the front was is such bad shape. I did another 100k (really 130k) on that car after repainting it and drove it slightly less on the highway and don't follow close and the paint is much better, again no paint protection.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:53 AM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Clear Bra Is The Answer

As soon as I bought my Jag, I immediately had clear bra installed as follows -
• Front Bumper
• Front 20” of Hood
• Front 20” of Front Fenders
• Front Side of Side Mirrors
• Inside Door Handles
• Top of Rear Bumper
The cost was $695
3 years later, no chips, clear bra still invisible.
It was money very well spent. I couldn't be happier!

Old 12-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by radiatn
It really comes down to how you drive the car.

My XKR has 75k miles on it with no bra or paint protection and there are minimal flaws in the paint.
Same here. Actually the XK was my best car for not getting stone chips FWIW.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

My 07 had the clear bra on the front bumper area when I got it. That section has dulled over time. I did the rockers, lower 4" of the doors, splash area and lip of the trunk myself for about $300. It was easy to apply but took a little time until you got used to working with the material. And I am very glad that I did the rockers and splash. Those 2 areas seem to be taking a beating this fall. Our NJ roads are in terrible shape. No one notices the film on the car unless they are looking very closely.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Doctor Colorchip is not available in Canada as their packaging does not conform to Canadian regulations. This is what happens when government grows too big. I would love to purchase this product as it looks and sounds to be a great system to do self repair. Are there any American members who would be prepared to order the product for me and then mail it to me when it arrives? I would, of course, send you the funds, including shipping costs, prior.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,011 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Doctor Colorchip is not available in Canada as their packaging does not conform to Canadian regulations.
Their web site says they ship to Canada:

International Shipping

All Canadian orders are shipped UPS Standard. Any duties or taxes are the responsibility of the customer.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Snide72
As soon as I bought my Jag, I immediately had clear bra installed as follows -
• Front Bumper
• Front 20” of Hood
• Front 20” of Front Fenders
• Front Side of Side Mirrors
• Inside Door Handles
• Top of Rear Bumper
The cost was $695
3 years later, no chips, clear bra still invisible.
It was money very well spent. I couldn't be happier!
The problem for me is that I am an over the top perfectionist and look for every flaw. When I installed my front bumper clear bra, it took me awhile to get used to the verticle seams. The reason I didn't do the partial hood or partial front fenders is that I would be constantly looking at the lines where the clear bra ends and it would bother me.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:32 PM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Solution

I've found that copious amounts of 12 year-old Jameson and a little Vernor's Ginger Ale makes those clear bra edges blend right into the paint! In fact, if you have enough ... you can't even FEEL where it stops!

Old 12-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I've found that combo makes me go home with a 10 @ 2am but wake up with a 2 @ 10am. Don't recommend it

Old 12-13-2015, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Doctor Colorchip is not available in Canada as their packaging does not conform to Canadian regulations. This is what happens when government grows too big. I would love to purchase this product as it looks and sounds to be a great system to do self repair. Are there any American members who would be prepared to order the product for me and then mail it to me when it arrives? I would, of course, send you the funds, including shipping costs, prior.
Sid:

No problem......more than happy to do it for you.

Richard in New Mexico

Old 12-14-2015, 10:02 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Richard to the rescue, again. Many thanks, buddy.

Do you want to order it for me, or alternatively, I could order it, using your address and simply have it mailed directly to you. If the latter is ok with you, send me your mailing address privately and I'll arrange the transaction. Once it arrives, just let me know and I'll paypal you the postage costs or send it to you whatever method you prefer.

Thanks again,

Syd

Old 12-14-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
The problem for me is that I am an over the top perfectionist and look for every flaw. When I installed my front bumper clear bra, it took me awhile to get used to the verticle seams. The reason I didn't do the partial hood or partial front fenders is that I would be constantly looking at the lines where the clear bra ends and it would bother me.
It's so hard or nearly impossible to find someone who can do a clear bra perfectly. There will always be something and it's a matter of opinion & wallet where to draw the line with clear bra. I saw a 911 at German Car Day that was 100% covered in clear bra. Very hard to tell where that it was done. My Lotus had clear bra done at the importer's dock and nearly half the car is covered. Saves me some time not having to put sealer on the clear bra, but the extra time to get wax out of the edges takes that advantage back. Over all, I have warmed up to the clear bra where I use to swear I'd never put it on my car before owning one with it.