XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Paint thickness

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 01:51 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Has anyone measured the paint thickness on their XKs? I was surprise to see readings over 8 Mils while many standard cars today are between 4-5 mils. Anyone have any experience with this using a paint meter? Does Jaguar use a lot of paint or clear on their cars?
Originally Posted by chazaroo
Great video but did anybody have an answer to the original question about paint thickness?
I meant to bring that up again. I wanted to know what other XK owners are getting for readings on their cars?
Thanks for the info. What does that equate to in Mils?
Does anyone have a paint meter to check out their XK?
Had some paint correction done a couple years back. The detailer measured the paint before starting the machine work. Here's a LINK to the whole process. He was trying to grow his high line business so he documented it pretty thoroughly for marketing purposes.

"Next we took paint thickness measurements to make sure the paint was thick enough to safely correct the paint. 4.0-4.5 mils are typical thickness for original paint thickness (some make and models slightly differ)."

Attached Thumbnails Paint thickness-xkr0096_zpsd9cf7f79.jpg   Paint thickness-xkr0097_zps1808f7f8.jpg  
Old 11-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

rear quarter panels on my 2002 XKR coupe were at 10 when measured by wholesaler visiting a benz dealer. I had to talk him into doing it for my curiosity. Other areas not as thick. Caused some speculation about work done by prior owners that was not disclosed, but both rear quarter panels thicker but trunk lid not ? Seemed unlikely but wholesaler with the measuring tool said Jag paint jobs thicker and less consistent across body panels as German cars

Old 11-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by weisberg
rear quarter panels on my 2002 XKR coupe were at 10 when measured by wholesaler visiting a benz dealer. I had to talk him into doing it for my curiosity. Other areas not as thick. Caused some speculation about work done by prior owners that was not disclosed, but both rear quarter panels thicker but trunk lid not ? Seemed unlikely but wholesaler with the measuring tool said Jag paint jobs thicker and less consistent across body panels as German cars
You are absolutely correct about Jag paint being thicker than other manufacturers. When I placed a paint meter on my XK, I was surprised to be getting 8-8.5 on the hood and roof and then getting 7-7.5 on fenders and doors. I too thought it might have been a repaint, but after having it looked at by a few body shops, there was no evidence of any paint work. Jaguar paint thickness can be all over the place. Also, if there are any imperfections at the factory, they are addressed at that time, also making it all factory paint.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by weisberg
I had my rear quarter panels measured today at a Lexus dealer showing 9.5 mils at the top and 5.0 at the bottom. Both rear quarters had the same readings. The Lexus shop manager thinks that Jaguar shoots their cars starting at the top and then going across the sides to the bottom giving the thicker measurements on some parts. Again, there are inconsistencies as seen on different body panels. I was also shown areas on the B pillars that weren't wet sanded as the rest of the complete outside body is. In the video I recently watched showing the XK factory operations, they do mention that workers are on a time restraint and must do a number of tasks within a certain time frame.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

I had my rear quarter panels measured today at a Lexus dealer showing 9.5 mils at the top and 5.0 at the bottom. Both rear quarters had the same readings. The Lexus shop manager thinks that Jaguar shoots their cars starting at the top and then going across the sides to the bottom giving the thicker measurements on some parts. Again, there are inconsistencies as seen on different body panels. I was also shown areas on the B pillars that weren't wet sanded as the rest of the complete outside body is. In the video I recently watched showing the XK factory operations, they do mention that workers are on a time restraint and must do a number of tasks within a certain time frame.
Wow!! You sure are putting your new Jaguar 2010 under the microscope. You will find the learning curve is quite step and quick.

The Jaguar Forums here will help educate so much. The members are great helping each other. There is allot of knowledge here, along with lots of opinions on so many topics.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by AirCav
Had some paint correction done a couple years back. The detailer measured the paint before starting the machine work. Here's a LINK to the whole process. He was trying to grow his high line business so he documented it pretty thoroughly for marketing purposes.

"Next we took paint thickness measurements to make sure the paint was thick enough to safely correct the paint. 4.0-4.5 mils are typical thickness for original paint thickness (some make and models slightly differ)."

All measurements are in um (microns) taken with Highline II meter, same as pictured in AirCav's post.

Roof 1237
Hood 1220
LF Panel 1228
RF Panel 1220
RR Panel 1237
LR Panel 1237
L Door 1246
R Door 1246

Since the readings are similar, I am confident that there has been no repaint of any panel.

Readings will differ by car and will be affected by how one details his/her car. I am an enthusiast about detailing and have spent many hours perfecting the paint. This will obviously lower the readings as to accomplish that one must take a bit of the clear coat off.

Best regards from 2/20 ARA