XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Painting of the Jaguar lettering...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016 | 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Vinyl is very easy if you know the tricks. I use it in my manufacturing and it has to stand the test of time and quality. Here is the secret.

Say you wanted to do the chrome-plated name tag on the back. And for some reason you dont want to take it off the car.

Take a non-distorted picture of the chrome piece. Your vinyl lettering shop will print that picture and scale it to make sure the size is right by placing it on the name tag a few times.

They will then print on their cutting plotter, using automotive grade vinyl, the outlines from that picture. At which point you will have both the jaguar lettering and the outline of the name tag cut with beautiful precision.

Now he will take a sticky paper and stick to the non-sticky side of the vinyl. Then cut that paper to the exact outline of the chrome piece- or he can also do the same at time of original printing. So what you will have is a vinyl with paper stuck to both side. You remove the paper from the sticky side for installation. Then remove the vinyl that is around the lettering. He will do this for you.

Now what you have is a piece of paper exact size as your chrome piece and the lettering in the perfect position. Simply align the paper to the chrome piece and press down the vinyl lettering. They should register perfectly. Many car emblems are applied this way. There are a few more steps, such as cleaning with alcohol and using an object that will apply pressure against the lettering.

Yes the vinyl they use can be the same as vehicle wrap. And best if it is.

If you wanted the inverse, blacked out name tag with chrome lettering, you would simply discard the lettering and keep the first piece you discarded.

BTW. I think small carbon fiber strip on the side louvers with the jaguar lettering in chrome showing through would look classy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Fstbmw1 (04-05-2016), SickRob (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016 | 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Incidentally, since I have the car, and the shop that does it, gladly do it for you for $150. I'll send you a few pieces for that. And the positive and negative so you can go either way.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016 | 01:53 PM

That is great information! It puts vinyl in a whole new perspective.

Old 04-05-2016 | 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SickRob
That is great information! It puts vinyl in a whole new perspective.
Rob, I use it on products that cost as much as a Jaguar. So you know it has to look the part and last the part.

The entire industry has come a very long way. The adhesives being used are the same as the adhesives that replace rivets on a airplane. The chrome side louver is fastened with the same vinyl adhesive.

We are all beneficiaries (including vehicle wrapping) of the vehicle advertising industry.

SickRob (04-07-2016)
Old 04-05-2016 | 05:00 PM
|

Queen and Country, I really do appreciate your offer! Having said that, just an hour ago, I called the company who did the wrap on my car and they advised (much like yourself) that they will do an excellent job on the lettering.

Old 04-05-2016 | 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chadly
I say go for it. I think its a nice touch, not for me, but a nice touch and still classy and it looks nice. I blacked out all the chrome on my car, some people like it, some don't. Doesn't matter to me because its my car and I like it. I plan on painting my hood vents black and doing the "supercharged" lettering in red.

As for the golf, I can only imagine using the same ball for the entire round!!! I usually lose 5~6 of them.
Pitty were distances apart Chadly, you could have my old ones for nothing, i replaced my vents with the black and chrome supercharge strip type. I had the lettering painted red on the ones i took off.

As for blacking out the lettering and other parts it's not my scene, i like the bling, but the easiest way would be to use Plasti-Dip.

Chadly (04-09-2016)
Old 04-05-2016 | 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fstbmw1
Queen and Country, I really do appreciate your offer! Having said that, just an hour ago, I called the company who did the wrap on my car and they advised (much like yourself) that they will do an excellent job on the lettering.
DOnt forget that if they cut it on a plotter, as you should, you will get a negative and a positive. Dont throw the negative away. Try that first.

The brushed black metallic from 3m will look good.

Old 04-06-2016 | 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Adhesion and looks is not your only problem, you will never get the edges of the paint sharp enough to look rich.
Go to a sign shop and have them cut you some lettering from vinyl wrap, that will stick to chromed plastic. Or take the pieces of and send it to Britishautowood. They do that stuff all day long. He can probably even do carbonfiber.
This sounds like the best finish to attain the desired result offered in this thread.

I would think a skilled tech could adhere etch the edge of letters directly onto the part? The remaining material would simply tear off along the etch.

Old 04-06-2016 | 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
I would think a skilled tech could adhere etch the edge of letters directly onto the part? The remaining material would simply tear off along the etch.
Yes, that is why we use it now. With other methods screen printing, or laser engraving, we had to send the part away prior to final assembly- why is bad news in many ways, now we can simply apply lettering to finished part with incredible precision. Its not as prestigious as engraving, or embossing as Jaguar has done. But they have extremely large volumes and financiers.

Old 04-07-2016 | 11:54 AM
mts

Use plastidip. It's very easy to do and can be easily removed if you don't like it.

Old 04-08-2016 | 10:19 PM
|

mts - My rear diffuser is plasti dipped. I originally had it painted to match the body colour, however, due to the black wrap that I had put on various areas of my car I dipped the diffuser in black to match. If I get tired of the look I'll peel it off.