XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Passenger door jammed shut - Won't open.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2024, 01:46 PM
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Passenger door jammed shut - Won't open.

The seat belt buckle got caught in the lower door frame with the door completely shut. Now the door won't open. Tried a bit of force to open it but, no luck. Any advice? I was thinking of buying a couple airbag wedge kits to see if that will free the door.

Old 07-15-2024, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 710 Likes on 352 Posts

perhaps have someone outside pulling on the door handle while someone else is inside pushing in a surging manner on the upper portion of the door panel?
wj

Old 07-23-2024, 10:09 PM

Update...The Airbag wedge kit did not work. Still no movement and the door simply won't budge. Looks like the belt is caught in the locking mechanism. I can't remove the door panel because the door needs to be open to access one of the screws. Thought about cutting the belt and pull it out but, it won't budge either. I'm at a bit of a loss. Any advice from the forum?

Old 07-23-2024, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,996 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Guess I’m in agreement with post #2, one outside pulling on the door handle, one inside, although you may need to be prepared to ‘surge’ really hard, perhaps even damaging the door card, requiring replacement.

Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,295 Likes on 3,455 Posts

Call a local body shop. They might be able to help. It's the passenger door, so you XK is still drivable.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 782 Posts

On reviewing the door schematics, I see no way of releasing the door without significantly damaging it.
To further this, on inspection on my door, I see no way in which the buckle could impede the door lock as its just to large… unless of course, through brute force, the door was forced closed.

As stated by two now, one pushing, one pulling, simultaneously is all I can come up with.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,391 Likes on 3,189 Posts

I'd say a lot more pushing, as pulling could more easily damage the exterior skin around the door handle. With the window down and pulling on the top of the actual door would be better, one hand lightly on the door handle in the Open position would also work.

The following users liked this post:
CurtJ (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,235 Likes on 2,373 Posts

As Stuart suggested, Body Shop.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
guy (Yesterday), Stuart S (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I'd say a lot more pushing, as pulling could more easily damage the exterior skin around the door handle. With the window down and pulling on the top of the actual door would be better, one hand lightly on the door handle in the Open position would also work.
Piggybacking on what @Cee Jay suggested... I'd place something like a piece of cardboard in between the outside door panel and the handle so that it's in the full "open" position, then use two hands to pull on the door with the window down near the meaty part of the top of the door, close to the latch.

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will say, brute force to push and pull did not work. I'm 250lbs and good shoulder bumps wouldn't budge it. Left with a sore shoulder and a bit of bruising. I'll keep trying and update when successful.

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,391 Likes on 3,189 Posts

If that's the case, maybe what Stuart and Sean stated.... A body shop may have the 'polite' type of brute force. A nice easy hydraulic ram placed in the best areas may be the final answer. I can't reason out any other way short of cutting things apart.
A body shop MAY have insurance against possible mishaps, but they may also require that you sign a damage release.

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 710 Likes on 352 Posts

CLarify, the belt buckle portion (metal) is jammed between the door and door sill or door jam and lower section of door...below catch mechanism...or?
wj