XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Passenger seat and overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger seat and overheating

Hello everyone,

I have a 2007 Jaguar XK convertible that just hit 65000 miles, I was driving the car a cpl weeks ago and I started smelling antifreeze as I was driving, when I got to my destination I noticed it was leaking antifreeze and there was a "High temp" flashing in the display. A when I opened the hood I saw that it was leaking from one of the clamps attached to the reservoir, I changed that clamp and up until yesterday the car ran fine, so yesterday I was driving and noticed the fan was on but the car had only been running for like 5 minutes, so I pulled over open the hood and now it's leaking from a different clamp!! So I call a mechanic to take a look at it and he's telling me he thinks it's the water pump but admits he's not to familiar with Jaguars and doesn't want to do the job. I figured I'd ask and get some opinions before I changeout the water pump. Maybe thermostat??

Old 06-26-2016, 11:47 PM

[QUOTE=Zhak123;1488681]Hello everyone,

I have a 2007 Jaguar XK convertible that just hit 65000 miles, I was driving the car a cpl weeks ago and I started smelling antifreeze as I was driving, when I got to my destination I noticed it was leaking antifreeze and there was a "High temp" flashing in the display. A when I opened the hood I saw that it was leaking from one of the clamps attached to the reservoir, I changed that clamp and up until yesterday the car ran fine, so yesterday I was driving and noticed the fan was on but the car had only been running for like 5 minutes, so I pulled over open the hood and now it's leaking from a different clamp!! So I call a mechanic to take a look at it and he's telling me he thinks it's the water pump but admits he's not to familiar with Jaguars and doesn't want to do the job. I figured I'd ask and get some opinions before I changeout the water pump. Maybe thermostat?? Oh yea and also my passenger seat will recline back and forth (the part you lean back against) but the actual seat itself ( the part you put ur butt on lol) will not go up down or forward or backward, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

1) the seat: this is a common symptom of low battery voltage at some point, resulting in the seat module losing its functionality ( how is that for a description?); the seat module needs to be reconfigured by the dealer

2) you need a new mechanic. There is nothing exotic or magical about the XK cooling system - and leaks at the clamps do not indicate a failed water pump - but you might have further issues. In any case make sure the coolant level is correct and make sure that the coolant reservoir itself is not cracked at the hose outlet. The engine should be shut down immediately when you see a warning.
The thermostat housing can crack, so that should be investigated and the housing and thermostat should be changed together.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

There are several threads dealing with the water pump issue. Suggest you type in the search box above XK 2007 water pump issues and educate yourself.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:59 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

You probably need a new water pump, i bet it has sprung a small leak. Mine went out & pretty much any hoses that were touched needed to be replaced because they started to dry rot. Not sure what your mechanic is confused about??? There is easy access to the water pump & hoses. Nothing special about our cooling system.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Zhak123
Hello everyone,

I have a 2007 Jaguar XK convertible that just hit 65000 miles, I was driving the car a cpl weeks ago and I started smelling antifreeze as I was driving, when I got to my destination I noticed it was leaking antifreeze and there was a "High temp" flashing in the display. A when I opened the hood I saw that it was leaking from one of the clamps attached to the reservoir, I changed that clamp and up until yesterday the car ran fine, so yesterday I was driving and noticed the fan was on but the car had only been running for like 5 minutes, so I pulled over open the hood and now it's leaking from a different clamp!! So I call a mechanic to take a look at it and he's telling me he thinks it's the water pump but admits he's not to familiar with Jaguars and doesn't want to do the job. I figured I'd ask and get some opinions before I changeout the water pump. Maybe thermostat??
[QUOTE=Rick7311;1489268]You probably need a new water pump, i bet it has sprung a small leak. Mine went out & pretty much any hoses that were touched needed to be replaced because they started to dry rot. Not sure what your mechanic is confused about??? There is easy access to the water pump & hoses. Nothing special about our cooling system.

Can't really figure out how to reply to you guys correctly, so 2 weeks ago I replaced one of the clamps at the reservoir because it was leaking, and then 2-3 days ago I had to replace another clamp at a different hose on the reservoir because it was leaking. It could just be coincidence but I figured there's something else causing these clamps to leak. Got a second opinion and the other mechanic said he didn't see any of the radiator hoses have too much pressure on them so he said it was probably just the clamp. So far been driving without any issues. If it happens again maybe I'll just replace both thermostat and water pump. But again just weird that the clamps keep leaking at different places.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

When I replaced my thermostat and housing earlier this year on my '07, I noted the spring type hose clamps being used. Never been a fan of them, prefer the positive feeling of a screw clamp, but some of those tight locations would have been a PIA with a screw clamp. Could be that the spring clamps loose strength over time, and if they've been removed/reinstalled I'd say it's even more likely.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
When I replaced my thermostat and housing earlier this year on my '07, I noted the spring type hose clamps being used. Never been a fan of them, prefer the positive feeling of a screw clamp, but some of those tight locations would have been a PIA with a screw clamp. Could be that the spring clamps loose strength over time, and if they've been removed/reinstalled I'd say it's even more likely.
Before you throw out those spring clamps do a search on the engineering that went into them. It is pretty interesting on how they were developed and that they are considered better then the screw clamps. As for losing spring tension it's not a problem if installed correctly. They also don't destroy the hose as the screw types do. I still have the original ones on our 1989 Volvo with 360K miles on them. And a cooling system is a cooling system so they are under pressure and are hot regardless if they are on a 4 banger or a big V8

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (06-29-2016)