XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Picked up a nail yesterday/tire opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts
Default Picked up a nail yesterday/tire opinions

Wife got ready to go to work and tells me the rear driver side tire is flat. Damn it. Nail is about 1" from the outside edge. I'm afraid the tire shop wont repair it because it's too close to the edge....

So, if that is the case:
I have about 50% tread left on my Hankook V12 Evo2s. I have no complaints about the Hankooks except I think the are a little loud at highway speeds. I wanted to try the Conti DWS because it looks like some of you are happy with those. BUT I'm only getting the 2 rears replaced if I have to.

I've always ran matched tires but what is your opinion? Stick with the Hankooks so all tires match or run unmatched until I need fronts?

It's used as a daily driver. Don't get hardly any snow or ice here. It will see an occasional 80-90mph on the highway but not that often. (yea I know, but there are cops everywhere here.. )
thanks in advance!

Old 09-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I still love my Hankook Ventus V12 EVO 2s, and don't see how people think they are loud. I drive top down (and up) on the freeway a lot and I've never even noticed noise. Plus, they are REALLY NICE tires.
I've also heard good stuff about the Contis, but doubt they have the performance of the Hankooks. But if you only use your XK as a commuter car, do you NEED the Hankooks...?
Michelin..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As if! (insert vomit noise)

Old 09-29-2016, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

yea they might not be any louder than any other tire but since it's the only tire I've had on it so far, I don't know any better (or worse).

Old 09-29-2016, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

1" from the edge should be no problem for a tire repair/plug.

It is possible that a tire shop might "spin" you for a new tire.

If the nail was in the side wall, I would concur it would not be advisable to repair it.

My bet is, it can be repaired. If not, buy a new set of Hankooks for a matched set all around the car.

I have Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's on my 2009 XKR Vert and have no problems with tire noise.

The following users liked this post:
shemp (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

excellent. Thanks guys.

BTW richzak. Nice rides in your sig. That C7 is just impeccable!

richzak (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I had the same thing happen about 6 months after I got my car. 1" or so from the edge on my at that time OEM Dunlops. I tried to get it fixed but the tire guys said It may not hold but they tried it anyway with a plug. That lasted 2 days and was a slow leaker. They said they could try the internal repair but still the closer to the edge would be a concern. So I opted to replace both rears and after some investigation went with Conti DWS on the rears and still had the OEM Dunlops on the front. I expected to replace the fronts at a later point after I had the front aligned to the tight side of the spec. I just turned 8K miles on the Conti's and am completely happy with the quiet and smooth operation. Performance is relevant as there is no driving condition that I would experience that would demand greater handling characteristics. Just returned from our 500 mile trip and it was a comfortable ride at 80 mph on the interstate. Oh I replaced the fronts 6 months ago or so and because they came out with the DWS 06 and could not get the DWS I had them put on the front. They are as good or better then the DWS. My opinion is they are a good touring type tire. I'll buy them again.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I have never concerned myself with matched tires (either tread or brand) and have never had a problem on any car. On most forums people go crazy saying that mixed brand causing differing traction resulting in issues. No proof or reason to it, just statement.

When in high school and college I would buy used tires, I probably had a different tread depth and brand on all four tires. If it held air and rolled I used it. I drove my Celica harder and more aggressive pushing the boundaries way more than my current offering. No problem.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

For a proper repair, the tire must be removed from the wheel so a patch can be applied over the puncture spot. That spot needs to be prepped so the patch will adhere to the inside of the tire. That wheel will then need to be rebalanced. Never have a flat repaired using a plug, because plugs are unsafe and can blow out of the tire.

Note that most tire stores and gas stations will not have the correct size socket, so you should tell them to use the metric socket in your trunk. Otherwise, they will use a socket that is slightly too large which, when used with an air impact wrench, will damage the OEM two-piece lug nuts causing the outer shell to spin and not engage the inner nut. As a result, you won't be able to easily loosen that nut and remove the wheel. Many Jaguar owners have replaced their OEM two-piece lug nuts with aftermarket (Gorilla, Toyota) one-piece nuts.

Most tire shops also don't know that the torque spec is 92 lb. ft.

Tell the shop that you want them to not use their impact wrench to either remove or reinstall that wheel, and instead use the wrench and handle in your trunk. They can finish up with their torque wrench.

I keep a 12v air compressor in each of my cars in case I have a flat. Usually, if there's a nail in the tread it's a slow leak and I can pump up that tire and drive to a service station to get it fixed. Much easier than my removing the flat tire and replacing it with the spare. I've gotten lazier with age.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 09-29-2016 at 12:45 PM.
shemp (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Well the wrench in the trunk is all rounded off and useless. Need a new one. Also, the lug nut (pun intended) that put the lug nuts on previously overtightened them. They are all way too tight. My impact wrench isn't even powerful enough. I used a 19mm socket and a breaker bar to get 4 off but on one of them the cap was all rounded. Last person must have used a 3/4 and an impact wrench to put them on and proceed to ruin it. So I managed to hammer on the socket but the cap came off. Good... nope... the nut under the cap was also rounded. Gonna fill up the tire and take it to the closest tire place tomorrow since the last bolt has beaten me.

I'm glad I went through this now instead of on the side of the road...

And all the lug nuts are getting replaced. Not liking those capped nuts.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

You should be able to patch or plug a nail hole 1" in from edge, and you should know instantly if it has worked by putting wheel and tire into a bucket of water, no bubbles no problem. And like one of the previous comments, the Hankooks were the noisiest tires (on the freeway) I've ever had. I couldn't stand the noise (although they certainly were reasonably priced).

Old 09-29-2016, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Take the Jaguar to Discount Tire in Plano. You have 4 locations.....

1016 E Park Blvd.

301 W Spring Creek Pkwy.

1120 N Central Expy.

209 Coit Rd.

Discount Tire will usually attempt to repair the flat at no cost. They are a straight forward tire seller and will provide a professional opinion on your flat to either fix or replace.

shemp (09-29-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
..........Hankooks were the noisiest tires (on the freeway) I've ever had. I couldn't stand the noise (although they certainly were reasonably priced).
What Model Hankooks did you have? There are currently twelve different models.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Discount tire was way backed up (they usually are) so I went to the Goodyear I've been to many times. Good guys, I trust them. They got the lug nut off but the nail has entered at an angle and penetrated the sidewall... Obviously they won't touch it and I don't want to risk it. Oh, I was wrong about the tread wear. He said only about 30% was left, not that it makes me feel any better

Ordered 2 new rear tires, ordered the Toyota lug nuts off ebay and a new lug nut wrench for the trunk (the toyotas are 21mm, plus my old one was shot anyway). Gonna have them install the new lugs per spec when the tires arrive so I can get the buggers off when I need brake pads.

Roofing nails. Not my first, not my last. Tons of new roofs going up here from the spring hail storms.

Thank you all for your comments. This place is awesome.

The following 2 users liked this post by shemp:
richzak (09-30-2016), Sean W (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Default Nuts 101

For everything you've ever wanted to know about Jaguar 2-piece lug nuts and alternative aftermarket 1-piece lug nuts, see this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-bolts-145997/

Jaguar OEM lug nuts have built-in washers and are called "flat" or "mag seat". If you buy aftermarket lug nuts, use only mag seat nuts with OEM wheels.

shemp (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
For everything you've ever wanted to know about Jaguar 2-piece lug nuts and alternative aftermarket 1-piece lug nuts, see this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-bolts-145997/

Jaguar OEM lug nuts have built-in washers and are called "flat" or "mag seat". If you buy aftermarket lug nuts, use only mag seat nuts with OEM wheels.
Yes sir. That's the exact thread I got the ebay link for the Toyota lugs from! I did a search last night and that came up. I was relieved to see I wasn't the only one with issues

Old 09-30-2016, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts
Default Agree with Discount Tire (not Tire Discounters).

Originally Posted by richzak
Take the Jaguar to Discount Tire in Plano. You have 4 locations.....

1016 E Park Blvd.

301 W Spring Creek Pkwy.

1120 N Central Expy.

209 Coit Rd.

Discount Tire will usually attempt to repair the flat at no cost. They are a straight forward tire seller and will provide a professional opinion on your flat to either fix or replace.

Always had good luck with Discount Tire... best in the biz. Seem to be more friendly then Tire Discounters.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S

The lugs nuts used on the Jaguar XK/XKR will be dependent upon using OEM Jaguar wheels or aftermarket wheels.

While the "mag" lug nut or "flat" lugnut is suggested/recommended for OEM Jaguar wheels, it is not the case for aftermarket wheels used on a Jaguar XK/XKR. Each aftermarket may require a different lug nut vs the OEM Jaguar lug nut. It is important when buying any aftermarket wheel to make sure you have the proper fitment of lug nuts.

Many of the aftermarket wheels sold will use a spline (tuner) lug nut. This is because the OEM Jaguar lug nuts will not fit the bore of the lug nut hole.

Here's what a "spline" lug nut looks like, and requires a "spline" lug nut wrench.

Click the image to enlarge, click again for full screen.

Attached Thumbnails Picked up a nail yesterday/tire opinions-spline-drive-lug-nut.jpg   Picked up a nail yesterday/tire opinions-spline-drive-lug-nut-2.jpg   Picked up a nail yesterday/tire opinions-spline-drive-lug-nut-tool.jpg  
shemp (09-30-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Always had good luck with Discount Tire... best in the biz. Seem to be more friendly then Tire Discounters.
I think this varies by location.