XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Pinstripes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts
Default Pinstripes?

I am getting my car back soon after some body modifications, and I was thinking of adding some contrast to the silver body by adding red pinstripes on the side flanks, just very small ones, to give a hint of color. Has anyone added pinstripes to their coupe, pictures? Pinstripes seem to have fallen from grace, not too popular any longer. I always thought they looked good and defined body lines, but I don't think I've seen them on an XK. I may mock some vinyl ones up first before I make a decision.

Attached Thumbnails Pinstripes?-dscf1243-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 08-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

My current car used to have pinstripes. I'm the second owner, bought her with under 10k on the odo; black coupe, formerly with thin gold pinstripes that ran from the front headlight edges to the rear on the high line the coupe has (along the front fenders to the exaggerated flank bulge on the coupe) . They were well laid down, with a little 1" tall 'R' (in Jag script) interrupting the lines towards the rear of the car.

I couldn't stand them. The line I'm talking about is one of the key aspects of the appearance of the car that's special IMO, and putting even a thin pinstripe on it struck me as garish. I told the dealership 'no deal', but they managed to have a very skilled detail guy remove them without a TRACE of damage or hint they'd been there... Must've been painted on with great care and delicateness.

Just my opinion, but if I were going for appearance mods, I'd look to space the wheels wider, lower a bit, change rims to something nice but tasteful, etc. My previous (a silver XKR 2010 coupe) was stunning and for what it is worth I'd suggest you find another way to make her stand out other than pinstripes. Not needed on your car, it will just take the sexiest line on the car and make it less attractive by calling too much attention to where the eye of anyone with tastes should be drawn to naturally...

Just my vote :-)

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 08-07-2014 at 01:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skeeter:
beh2010 (08-10-2014), GalaxyDriver (08-10-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
My current car used to have pinstripes. I'm the second owner, bought her with under 10k on the odo; black coupe, formerly with thin gold pinstripes that ran from the front headlight edges to the rear on the high line the coupe has (along the front fenders to the exaggerated flank bulge on the coupe) . They were well laid down, with a little 1" tall 'R' (in Jag script) interrupting the lines towards the rear of the car.

I couldn't stand them. The line I'm talking about is one of the key aspects of the appearance of the car that's special IMO, and putting even a thin pinstripe on it struck me as garish. I told the dealership 'no deal', but they managed to have a very skilled detail guy remove them without a TRACE of damage or hint they'd been there... Must've been painted on with great care and delicateness.

Just my opinion, but if I were going for appearance mods, I'd look to space the wheels wider, lower a bit, change rims to something nice but tasteful, etc. My previous (a silver XKR 2010 coupe) was stunning and for what it is worth I'd suggest you find another way to make her stand out other than pinstripes. Not needed on your car, it will just take the sexiest line on the car and make it less attractive by calling too much attention to where the eye of anyone with tastes should be drawn to naturally...

Skeeter
I totally agree with the above comments. I have never seen any other XK or XKR with pinstripes. Buy new wheels.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

There is not creases or tight folds in the body to make a pin stripe work IMO.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

I think that's right. A traditional pinstripe wouldn't work, and potentially it would cut up the lovely lines of the car (every time I see yours it reminds me how nice mine is, they are twins!). This is what Jag did by way of graphics http://machinespider.com/wp-content/...-XKR-175-4.jpg

I don't mind it, though it is a little OTT. Might look OK in red. but if I was wanting to add red to my car, I'd be considering 2 tone tint, black going to red. It is a bit tuner, but then I've got "psychobunny" stickers on my rear quarterglass, so no-one is going to ask me for tips on taste. And maybe red growler caps on the wheels.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Skeeter
+1

Old 08-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I think that's right. A traditional pinstripe wouldn't work, and potentially it would cut up the lovely lines of the car (every time I see yours it reminds me how nice mine is, they are twins!). This is what Jag did by way of graphics http://machinespider.com/wp-content/...-XKR-175-4.jpg

I don't mind it, though it is a little OTT. Might look OK in red. but if I was wanting to add red to my car, I'd be considering 2 tone tint, black going to red. It is a bit tuner, but then I've got "psychobunny" stickers on my rear quarterglass, so no-one is going to ask me for tips on taste. And maybe red growler caps on the wheels.
Aston does a similar stripe and has a similar shape to the XK, so that makes sense. The only visible line on these cars are along the rocker panel; everything else is just rounded & contoured ever so gently.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I am getting my car back soon after some body modifications, and I was thinking of adding some contrast to the silver body by adding red pinstripes on the side flanks, just very small ones, to give a hint of color. Has anyone added pinstripes to their coupe, pictures? Pinstripes seem to have fallen from grace, not too popular any longer. I always thought they looked good and defined body lines, but I don't think I've seen them on an XK. I may mock some vinyl ones up first before I make a decision.
Pinstripes? Yuck.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

I thought the pinstripes on my early XJs and XJS looked great. But, I don't think they would fit in on an XK. Why don't you take a picture of the XK and photoshop (or some other program) pinstripes in and see what they look like?

The following users liked this post:
tberg (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts
Default OEM Graphics

Instead of pinstripes, you might be interested in the factory graphics package:

XKR Speed Black Pack in Polaris White with 20" Gloss Black Kalimnos alloy wheels and optional XKR side graphic.

The graphic is not my taste, but I it's a genuine Jaguar item available from your dealer. See: https://global.jaguar.com/au/en/xk/g...42685&pg=image

Stuart

tberg (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Stuart,
That's a little too "boy" racer for me. In fact, that Ian Callum allowed this to even be an option negates all of the previous comments that praised his design sans pinstripes. I will wait til I get the car back, and then mock up a thin stripe just to see what it looks like. We'll see, I'm not committed to doing it yet.

Attached Thumbnails Pinstripes?-dscf1241-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 08-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

You should see what they allowed on the 75:

They were known as 'mascara' stripes - mine had them, but the dealer removed them before I saw it. They're a bit much; on the other hand, now there's nothing that distinguishes my car from any other Speed Pack except the Vortex wheels.

tberg (08-09-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Awful... Nothing to distinguish your car from the thousands and thousands of 2010 Gray XKR's with the speed pack clogging our freeways, let's find Ngarara a solution to the limited edition JKRs that we see at every turn.

Just giving you a hard time... Nothing DISTINGUISHES YOUR CAR? Man, I'd say your car is pretty well distinguished on its own ;-)

I found myself a while back having similar thoughts, even made a thread on exterior body mods to my 2011 coop. Ultimately was persuaded by fellow members here that this is money one never gets back, that makes the car harder not easier to sell, and that these are already exceptionally rare and beautiful cars, and that such modifications rarely 'pay off', in enhanced enjoyment OR looks or -.

You've already won your challenge: you already have an incredibly unique and unusually beautiful, limited production car. I've seen like five copes in the 3-4 years I've had 2010+ XKR's.

Pinstripes-as-differentiators (esthetics aside) speaks to such a narrow level of the car viewing public (fellow JKR owners, enthusiasts), half of who won't notice, especially while moving.

That said, I'd love to know more about putting spacers in the wheels. Thats a mod I'd sign on for if I knew the details and (if any) traders for the looks. Someone on here had a beautiful set of rims that were sitting wider than usual b/c of spacers. Very tough looking, and NOT a permanent mod, easy to go back to stock wheels... Though from your profile pic, your rims look perfect, just how I'd want mine (I'm plain stock with plasti-dip gloss black).

Beautiful ride, my man!

Skeeter

Last edited by Skeeter; 08-10-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member

Awful... Nothing to distinguish your car from the thousands and thousands of 2010 Gray XKR's with the speed pack clogging our freeways, let's find Ngarara a solution to the limited edition JKRs that we see at every turn.
Fair point

I just wish they'd put a '75' badge on it somewhere, for the other Jag nerds out there. That being said, when I was at the Nürburgring, a young French bloke came rushing up to ask if it was a 75. So I guess the real nerds can spot one.

I haven't seen another one yet, not really surprising when there were only 20 sold in the UK. Where did you see them? - they weren't sold in the US. You guys got fobbed off with the 175.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
You should see what they allowed on the 75:

They were known as 'mascara' stripes - mine had them, but the dealer removed them before I saw it. They're a bit much; on the other hand, now there's nothing that distinguishes my car from any other Speed Pack except the Vortex wheels.
Might as well put on the lipstick around the nose and "eye liner" around on the side view mirrors. Aston is good at turning the Vantage into a drag queen.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

The 24" spinners on my car are unpopular to some - but I love being unique.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Aston is good at turning the Vantage into a drag queen.
For drag racing, presumably

Old 08-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The 24" spinners on my car are unpopular to some - but I love being unique.
Like so?: