XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Porsche Cayman S vs. XK Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

They didn't get that from VW. Doesn't that drive anybody else nuts?

Attached Thumbnails Porsche Cayman S vs. XK Coupe-image.jpg  
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
They didn't get that from VW. Doesn't that drive anybody else nuts?
If they didn't get it from VW, then VW got it from Bentley. Although I doubt it, since it's such a subpar looking piece.

http://www.edmunds.com/bentley/continental-gt/

Sometime in the 1980s, the company decided it wanted a distinct identity and returned to its performance roots with cars such as the Turbo R. After being bought out by Volkswagen in the late 1990s and benefiting from that company's vast resources, Bentley began turning out ever more irresistible luxury sedans, coupes and convertibles.

The first of these models was, in fact, the Bentley Continental GT. Though some of its components are shared with other VW products, the Continental GT boasts a number of key attributes for well-heeled car enthusiasts, including blistering performance courtesy of a twin-turbo 12-cylinder engine, the all-weather confidence of all-wheel drive, a sumptuous cabin that typifies the marque and, of course, the prestige factor. And at far less than $200,000, we dare say it even strikes us as a good value for those with warm fuzzies in their hearts.
EDIT--Were you talking about getting the panel gap from VW? I must've misread!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I read the engine has to be pulled to change the alternator...
It must be refreshing for the engineers to have customers that are so rich, the engineers need not be bothered by trying to place things such that items are easily and affordably serviced.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86

EDIT--Were you talking about getting the panel gap from VW? I must've misread!
Yeah. The gap.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah. The gap.
In that case, you're right. VW has the opposite problem.

Attached Thumbnails Porsche Cayman S vs. XK Coupe-right_gap.jpg  
Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

What should I bid?

What would you bid?

I plan to park this next to the 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition convertible.

Porsche : Cayman S in Porsche | eBay Motors

Last edited by richzak; 08-07-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 AM

In that case, you're right. VW has the opposite problem.

Help me make out what we're looking at there...

Originally Posted by richzak
What should I bid?

What would you bid?

I plan to park this next to the 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition.

Porsche : Cayman S in Porsche | eBay Motors

OK Richzak, here come the charts again... . Just kidding! It's very pretty.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Help me make out what we're looking at there...

OK Richzak, here come the charts again... . Just kidding! It's very pretty.
Haha, that is the gap between the dash and the passenger door.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

That car would drive and feel like a toy (it's a girly car) compared to the Jaguar XKR. It would not put a grin on my face.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
He was probably thinking the same thing about you.

I test drove a 2012 Carrera S before deciding on my new 2013 XKR. I thought the ride and the interior was cheap. I felt like I was driving a cheap Volkswagen and the Cayman is the entry level...
Me too, i fell like inside a cheap kart, not to say the kinder classes footage they use. they fixed the cooling system in 2010, using air now, otherwise you could kill your engine easy.

I agree the rear seems better, but how options works is a big turn off for me, the best porsche seems not even at the level of a basic jaguar options, the xk for me is much much better.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

I crossed shopped the Porsche Boxster when I decided to buy my XKR. The Boxster was much more direct (steering, and it had a stick!), but less comfortable and not as good looking. Also did not sound as good to my ear, and is way too common around these parts. Interior quality was not much of a consideration for me, and I don't think the 4.2 XK wins any awards for quality interior.

I think I made the right choice--every time I drive it I feel like I'm driving something special, especially if I have the top down! The Boxster, I would get annoyed seeing another one on every street corner.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 PM

Haha, that is the gap between the dash and the passenger door.
I realize I'm not going to win over any VW fans on the Jaguar forum! Perhaps I'm just blinded by love.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

one thing you should think about is how does it resell, as it seems when you run out of warranty they are harder to sell, so if there is a bunch i will be worry, its not like a jag that you can purchase without warranty, i checked maybe 4 cayman, just dealing with porsche owners was a bummer, the only one in good shape, he finally didnt want sell it, it seems to me, I was about to buy a warranty not a car, so how important this was....i did not like it at all. so 3 or 4 years after its new, you may have trouble reselling it, unless you keep buying extended warranty and then they worth one year and may not be continued.

Personally i am much more confident with a jag without warranty than a porsche. also these wheels and small tires worth a fortune...

Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
one thing you should think about is how does it resell, as it seems when you run out of warranty they are harder to sell, so if there is a bunch i will be worry, its not like a jag that you can purchase without warranty, i checked maybe 4 cayman, just dealing with porsche owners was a bummer
There are lot of Caymans with engine problems and I think Porsche addressed the issue on all their engine after 2007?

The Porsche online community I did not find a nice as our Jag board!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I drove a 2009 911 before buying a 2010 XK coupe. The 911 felt cheap by comparison.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 375 Posts

2 completely different cars. I was seriously considering a Cayman Base with PDK and test drove it many times. I felt although it was fun, how would I feel about it in a few years with all the cabin noise and being bounced around? It is a true sports car with great handling, but quite expensive once optioned up with any creature comforts. The XK is a grand tourer which I find I could drive very day. Both have great lines and are great to look at. The XK seemed more sensible for me.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Cayman VS XK? Too different kind of cars to be compared, both very desirable in their respective classes, and owning/driving both would be a blast. How about a Cayman without a roof (Boxster)? More than 1 topless car isn't necessarily a problem! I think it's more loosely comparable to the F-Type V6/S, particularly when available as a coupe.

+1

These cars are way different. You're talking sports car vs a GT car. Even if the XKR is faster on a track the cayman would be more fun. The only time that track times should outweigh the experience on a track is when you're getting $$$ from it. If you want a track rat the Jag is the wrong car. If you want style and a fantastic GT car that is a fun occasional track car then get the jag.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
+1

These cars are way different. You're talking sports car vs a GT car. Even if the XKR is faster on a track the cayman would be more fun. The only time that track times should outweigh the experience on a track is when you're getting $$$ from it. If you want a track rat the Jag is the wrong car. If you want style and a fantastic GT car that is a fun occasional track car then get the jag.
I totally agree with R-Rated above.

Since I first started this thread, I did buy the 2014 Cayman 981. It is parked next to the Jaguar XKR convertible Portfolio Edition.

Both cars are totally awesome, but so different. I ended up with the Cayman, PDK, some very nice options and paid $66,300 for the Porsche delivered to my door from Porsche of Tucson, AZ.

The Cayman is quiet, even though it is mid-engine. The handling is superb. The sport plus mode is awesome and the paddle shifters give a great feel of performance. The 981 interior is nicely appointed and has some of the same features as the Jaguar.

The Jaguar XKR is a beautiful car and love to take it out on nice days with the top down. It's a smooth ride and quiet, and a head turner as well is the Porsche.

There may be lots of opinions here on what is better Jaguar vs. Porsche, but I must say both are awesome to own, and when I want a real thrill, the 981 gets rolled out. When I want to cruise in luxury the Jaguar rolls out.

I think it is very hard to make a comparison and make comments plus or minus unless you actually own both cars and have a chance to really feel the ride, performance and experience of both brands.

It is not an easy choice day to day to decide what to drive when I need to go somewhere. I am glad I made the purchase as both automobiles compliment each other in so many different ways.

Detailed photos of both the 981 and XKR can be found in my signature below. Check out the 981, it is an awesome ride.

I seriously doubt that either car will see a track, as I had my share of racing competitively in open wheel Formula race cars for many years, and have seen many people tear up their street cars on open track days.

After racing for so many years, I can appreciate how nice both the XKR and 981 is to just enjoy the rides on the open road vs open track.

Last edited by richzak; 10-24-2013 at 09:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
weisberg (11-22-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

That's a gorgeous Cayman, Richard. Well done!

BTW, for any big guys that might be looking at adding a "lil' P-car" to their stable, the 981 adds significant interior room... I'm 6'4 250 lb and the previous version of the Cayman was too cramped on headroom for me. 2014 fit just fine!

Rich

Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rw99
That's a gorgeous Cayman, Richard. Well done!

BTW, for any big guys that might be looking at adding a "lil' P-car" to their stable, the 981 adds significant interior room... I'm 6'4 250 lb and the previous version of the Cayman was too cramped on headroom for me. 2014 fit just fine!

Rich
Yes, the cabin is very roomy. The 2014 Cayman is a total re-design from the previous 2006 to 2012MY.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayman S vs. XK Coupe