XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Is it possible to play the music from one's phone when hooked up via Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 01:35 PM
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

Feel free, Bill, feel free!

From what I could read, it looks like the cheapest way to have some extra audio sources options would be to find a 2nd-hand ACM and have a JLR dealer install it for me. Although I have to be careful here, as not all of them will be compatible with my '06.
Or there's the possibility of changing the whole dash for a more modern unit, which would most likely solve a lot of problems (connectivity, navigation up-to-dateness, likely sound of the stereo - which I found a bit disappointing... ). But the price is not going to be the same and looks are another issue...

Last edited by George Abitbol; 12-28-2020 at 01:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bill Mack (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 03:37 PM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Siri (also Google, which is vastly superior) listens all the time anyway, so who cares? Nobody cares what you say. I'm not being rude, nobody cares what I say either. Google would require 350 BILLION employees to keep tabs on all the users. They don't.
I've heard that argument before. "I'm a law abiding citizen who leads a normal life. I don't know any valuable information and don't have anything to hide. Why should I care if my devices can track me or listen to me?" I don't accept that argument. You can't know how information about you might be used by others, so why carelessly give it away? It may be that today we have a very small area of privacy that we can control. But I see no reason to make it even smaller by ignoring the control that we have.

I am not just talking about the NSA here - although their resources and lack of concern for personal privacy are impressively scary. The dark net is the worldwide marketplace for stolen information and not all of that information was gathered through institutional data breaches. I am - and probably you are - subjected daily to at least a couple of phishing scams seeking your private information, most often social security or credit card numbers. True, many are ridiculously obvious, but even so people fall for them. More insidious are malware exploits that download keyloggers, cam bots and other nasties to scrape information or invade your personal space.

I don't claim to be perfect at protecting my privacy, far from it. But when I see something I can do about it, I invariably do it.

TobyJag (12-31-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

I could never understand why anyone would ever save any passwords in their web browser, especially for their bank account and websites that store debit/credit cards for payments to retailers.

Just because they say it's secure doesn't guarantee it can't be hacked.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Bill Mack (12-29-2020), Cee Jay (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 01:17 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by George Abitbol
Feel free, Bill, feel free!

From what I could read, it looks like the cheapest way to have some extra audio sources options would be to find a 2nd-hand ACM and have a JLR dealer install it for me. Although I have to be careful here, as not all of them will be compatible with my '06.
Or there's the possibility of changing the whole dash for a more modern unit, which would most likely solve a lot of problems (connectivity, navigation up-to-dateness, likely sound of the stereo - which I found a bit disappointing... ). But the price is not going to be the same and looks are another issue...
Bluetooth streaming Cambo style!

George Abitbol (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 08:42 AM

Or there's the possibility of changing the whole dash for a more modern unit, which would most likely solve a lot of problems.... But the...looks are another issue...
George, the looks of the Tesla-like screen put me off. I could handle the installation with help from the long thread about it, and I do like modern tech, but I just can't get my mind around the idea of changing an already fine-looking dash by installing a big screen. Guess I'm just a little old-school about the interior look.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Mack:
Cee Jay (12-29-2020), George Abitbol (12-29-2020), Stuart S (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

We stock a version of Cambo's OldJag Bluetooth unit that is modified for zero standby power drain when the car is off: NEW!! '06 -'09 XK / XKR (X150) BLUETOOTH Streaming Adapter - TheJagWrangler
If you do not drive the car regularly or keep it the vehicle on a battery maintainer our version should be considered.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Bill Mack (12-29-2020), TobyJag (12-31-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 02:57 PM
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
George, the looks of the Tesla-like screen put me off. I could handle the installation with help from the long thread about it, and I do like modern tech, but I just can't get my mind around the idea of changing an already fine-looking dash by installing a big screen. Guess I'm just a little old-school about the interior look.
I wouldn't call that being "old school"...it's just a matter of proportions. The stock screen size is for one, big enough for good legibility, and then of the right size given the size and shape of the dash.

The following 2 users liked this post by George Abitbol:
Bill Mack (12-29-2020), Stuart S (12-30-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 03:14 PM

I wouldn't call that being "old school"...it's just a matter of proportions. The stock screen size is for one, big enough for good legibility, and then of the right size given the size and shape of the dash.
Well said! it presents a balanced appearance that blends with the lines of the dash. Besides, I want to have my focus 99%+ on the road and surroundings, not the screen.

Stuart S (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Back to playing music through Bluetooth ...

PLAN B
Whoopee! I can now listen to Bluetooth while driving my XKR! I can listen to every song file that's on my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone as well as everything on Amazon Music or any other music sites. It cost me nothing and there was nothing to install, but I have to control everything from my phone. So I set my music to shuffle, or a particular album or artist, and I'm OK with that. How did I do it?

Last week, my rich Uncle Sam was kind enough to treat me to new hearing aids with built-in Bluetooth technology. That means I can now hear every sound that comes from my cellphone, including calls, music, from my apps, and from websites, wirelessly through Bluetooth directly into my ears. The sound quality, including separation, and sound stage, is amazing; I haven't heard this well in years thanks to this technology.

Actually, I did pay a price but that was long ago and far away.

IMPORTANT P.S. If you (or a member of your family) are a Vietnam Veteran and are not receiving disability benefits, please PM me for important information.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Bill Mack (12-30-2020), kj07xk (12-31-2020), V7Sport (12-30-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by zray View Post
this is the product I went for:

https://www.discountcarstereo.com/a2...ategory_id=448

works perfectly, great sound quality, same as CD's, and super easy to install. The instructions are detailed and cover several "what if's".

also discussed here, posts #8 thru #13: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...daptor-222492/

Z

the X150’s might require a slightly different product than I’m using, but the vendor has a varied selection.

installation took under an hour and no cutting of wires !

the sound quality is very very good, what we used to call “high fidelity” back in the day.

TobyJag (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 09:31 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
Originally Posted by zray View Post
this is the product I went for:

https://www.discountcarstereo.com/a2...ategory_id=448

works perfectly, great sound quality, same as CD's, and super easy to install. The instructions are detailed and cover several "what if's".

also discussed here, posts #8 thru #13: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...daptor-222492/

Z

the X150’s might require a slightly different product than I’m using, but the vendor has a varied selection.

installation took under an hour and no cutting of wires !

the sound quality is very very good, what we used to call “high fidelity” back in the day.
The X150 doesn't have a cd changer in the trunk.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:35 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2006 is before iPhones were even available!

2006 is before iPhones were even available! Your least expensive fix is a fm bluetooth player that broadcasts any paired bluetooth capable phone or music player through (typically) the lower fm band. Band MUST be adjustable. Low point is usually the pairing is lost whenever the Jag’s power is cut.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:37 AM
Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I'm not a fan of using a Bovee 1000 Bluetooth adapter to play music that's on my phone. It's not integrated with the touchscreen, so you have to use your phone to change songs. That's a risky distraction while driving.
An iPhone integrates fully with the touch screen using a Bluetooth connection to a Bovee 1000. I have used several different iPhones successfully. An iPod touch may not have the same level of Bluetooth integration of its controls as an iPhone.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:40 AM
JRF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure. Just pick up a bluetooth FM transmitter on Amazon. Play music or talk on the phone. A great little plug and play gadget.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anker Roav Smart Charge F2 FM Transmitter

EDIT: I meant "is it possible to play..."

The title pretty much says it all: I have no aux / usb input on my 2006 stereo, but of course the bluetooth connectivity is still there...hence the question: could it be used to circumvent that limitation and play the music that's on one's phone? Or is it just restricted to phone calls?

Thanks for the info!!
I use an Anker ROAV - Smartcharge F2 FM Transmitter. It fits in cigarette charger and charges phone and will transmit on an unused FM channel in your area to radio

. It charges the phone and transmits music or phone calls through speakers on my 2001 XK8, Works great for me. Bought it at Best Buy.

George Abitbol (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by peterv8
The X150 doesn't have a cd changer in the trunk.

i would be surprised if discount car stereo does not have a Bluetooth product for the X150’s.

Z

Old 12-31-2020, 11:10 AM
Yus
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried the Bovee 1000 in my 2009 XK Coupe and it didn’t work with my iPhone 8.
I was informed after purchase that it would work with an iPad; which I don’t own!

Old 12-31-2020, 11:12 AM
Yus
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was informed after purchase that it would work with an iPod; which I don’t own!

Old 12-31-2020, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Apple.
Nuff said.

carealtor (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Yus
I was informed after purchase that it would work with an iPod; which I don’t own!
Bovee works with my Wife's previous Iphone 5, 8, and now 11. Plus any Ipad I connected. Plus my Android. It is a bluetooth receiver and can connect to any bluetooth music device I have tried?

Stranger things could happen, but I would probably have dug into the issue being cable or some other problem.

Cee Jay (12-31-2020)

Quick Reply: Is it possible to play the music from one's phone when hooked up via Bluetooth?