XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Possible Purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

And it even has ACC.
Heck, I'd consider that for myself if it was a convertible and wasn't a hundred bajillion miles away.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:58 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

Maybe worthwhile to collect the VIN and see the Jaguar build sheet on the car.
At topix, that is.

Last edited by guy; 12-21-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have spoken to selling dealer this afternoon-car has been owned by a local for past 4 years-garaged & very little mileage done by him. Was bought from England by him-has not been serviced in the 4 years he owned it!!! Has a reversing camera & says car is very clean-make a good salesman! Might need lot of money spending on it??

Old 12-21-2020, 01:58 PM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

Brian,

Insist on a pre-purchase inspection by a local independent who know Jags. It's be best way to get a deeper look at the car.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-25-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by George05
Mark , do you really believe in all that the main dealers do a check nonsense, the only good point in buying from them is the car will have some warranty
I got my selling motor trader to get their local Jag main dealer to do a free health check and it showed a leaking front shock which was replaced prior to my purchase. I even insisted they returned the faulty shock to me in rhe boot as proof So it worked for me!

George05 (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian1964
Have spoken to selling dealer this afternoon-car has been owned by a local for past 4 years-garaged & very little mileage done by him. Was bought from England by him-has not been serviced in the 4 years he owned it!!! Has a reversing camera & says car is very clean-make a good salesman! Might need lot of money spending on it??
4yrs without a service, was the previous owner senile?

Mine was in probate for 14 months and missed two but has since been overserviced by me.

I had the engine oil flushed (hot mineral oil) at the first service and the **** in the engine was so congealed it stopped their machine, I took a day off work and saw the gloopy mess that had accumulated

In 18 months between previous owner last driving and my ownership it had covered a mere 900 miles...just saying that it sitting unused is not a good thing.

Can't beleive they want that sort of money for a car without FJSH??

Old 12-21-2020, 02:37 PM

Yes Bill-pre purchase inspection would be a definite-when see in the flesh will tell me if interested, & then price. Be after Xmas before I get down to see it. 1st impressions are great colour & spec, but a lot to still look into. Many Thanks for comments folks.

The following 3 users liked this post by Brian1964:
Bill Mack (12-21-2020), George05 (12-21-2020), ralphwg (12-26-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, no Jaguar Documented service. Mine probably doesn't have any documented service (other than a new key) either since I do my own.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
Maybe worthwhile to collect the VIN and see the Jaguar build sheet on the car.
At topix, that is.
They seem to have taken that down unfortunately. I checked my car a few days ago and there is minimal info now

Old 12-25-2020, 10:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello all-had conversation with yourselves in summer re. possible purchase of 2014 dynamic r from a Jaguar dealer. It sold before I got a chance to view. I have now spotted 2011 xkr, red, 39000 miles, sports exhaust, dynamic seats. Seems the red was originally an extra-looks like IRR in the photos. Priced at £29000. Sports exhaust big plus. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Don't buy a Jaguar. As attractive as it may seem. Don't. Owing a Jaguar it like having a high maintenance wife. Your always dumping money into them. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize it soon enough.
I have six Jaguars sitting in my driveway. All but one have suffered the dreaded "battery dead for no apparent reason" problem. Working on a Jaguar is really no different then any other car today. They
all share the same systems and problems. Where Jaguar excels in frustration is the security system. There is no way to disable this thing. It looks at everything and if all is not well. It will not shut down
and go into standby. If you plug a code reader into the OBD port. That system may stay active until you do a hard reboot. Many Jaguar owners will admit that they keep their Jaguars plugged into a battery
tender, so they don't have a dead battery when they go to use the car.
I love their cars and I love the way they drive. But, I'm literally at my wits end with these constant battery issues. My XJ6 was notorious for killing the battery until i found a switch in the rear door that was stuck.
Then the car would just stop running. You could be at highway speed and suddenly the car would just go dead. I found an overheated circuit in the engine compartment. But I haven't driven the car much since
because I don't trust it. Having your Jaguar towed, sucks. So the XJ6 has sat for years without being driven. I've tried to sell it with little interest. Most that call want to steal it, so they can part it out.
My 98 XJ8 recently killed the battery when it sat a little to long. I bought the car for $400 because it had a bad engine. I rebuilt the engine and it ran great, but it needs a few other things so it sat. Went to start it and the
fuel pump was dead. Here the car sat for months before it was sold to me. Sat while I rebuilt the engine. Ran after rebuilding the engine. Failed after all that. I guess that makes perfect sense. It has to be something.
The S-type, I keep plugged in or take the battery out of the car to avoid this problem, and about a month ago I learned that the transmission is failing. I bought the car with a bad motor. I replaced the 4.0 V8 with a new
engine. Not a salvaged engine. But a newly rebuilt long block out of California. The car is a beast and drives great with the sport suspension. If I could only trust the car and the constant problems with dead batteries.
Now it seems that the transmission has lost first gear. I can manually shift from second to third on up. But the car barely moves in Drive.
Just yesterday I found the battery dead on one of our X-types. I bought a new battery in the summer of 2019, but it hasn't been driven much recently. We had snow the other day and I needed to move the car.
Went to move the car and the battery was dead. The car was not even locked. But these security systems on these Jags are overly active and will not shut down if something is not perfect.
It's not like I don't have enough to do. Normal car maintenance will keep a person busy and if you have a passion for taking care of your car. These issues will take all that extra time away. When we had just the one
XJ6. We washed that car all the time and we so loved to drive it. Then the problems start piling up. What was lost, was all the extra time we used to pamper the car. All that time went into maintenance.
So you have been warned. Buy a Lincoln or a Cadillac. Also stay away from Audi or Mercedes. They are both a costly nightmare to own.

Old 12-25-2020, 10:38 AM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Rearaxle
Don't buy a Jaguar. As attractive as it may seem. Don't.
Wow, you've clearly had a difficult relationship with Jaguar cars. I am a relatively new first-time Jaguar owner, and reading your post gives me chills. However, there are many other XK owners on this forum that have owned and maintained their cars for years, and have found the experience not just pleasurable but exhilarating. My first impressions of my XK have been very good - it's everything I was expecting, with a few nice surprises. For now and until things change with my XK, I'm in the group of owners who like their Jags.

Doctodd (07-04-2022)
Old 12-25-2020, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar XKR. The most reliable and trouble-free long term vehicle I've owned. I've had vehicles with fewer problems, but only for a few years.

So I say....Buy a Jaguar. Attractive is as it seems. The absolute BEST buy for the money of any vehicle out there.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
MarkyUK (12-26-2020), ralphwg (12-25-2020), Stuart S (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Rearaxle's battery problems are understandable. All of his Jaguars are more than 10 years old and he's in Minnesota, where the winter cold kills more car batteries than anything else.

Old 12-25-2020, 01:34 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The other thing to consider about the Dynamic R is it has the suspension of the XKR-S and is lowered. This does make a big difference if you are driving the Vehicle properly 😂 . The other aspect is the timing chain, earlier 5litre V8’s can be prone to the timing chain failing causing a significant engine rebuild. As I understand it, 2012 onwards engines that don’t have this issue. I am on my third Jag now, I had a 4.2 XKY 2008MY for 7 years. I had a few niggles and a battery issue but nothing serious, on my Dynamic R the edit failed which was worrying as the car only had 10k miles on it, despite being 5 years old. As this was fixed under warranty it didn’t cost me anything, but I did have a loan car from Jaguar for 4 months as they had run out of replacements. Finally I have friends in Minneapolis, and agree that older cars and Jags may be problematic, however a friend of mine has a 2004 Honda Accord with over 200k on the clock in the twin cities. He keeps the Ferrari Pista in California...no joke..

Old 12-25-2020, 02:20 PM

Many thanks for replies. Unfortunately now in lockdown again, but will see the car when possible. It states registered 2011, but I notice the air vents on the sides seem to be a 2012 addition. Looking on autotrader I think it is definitely too expensive. Servicing history is a concern also. Whatever will be will be.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

... It states registered 2011, but I notice the air vents on the sides seem to be a 2012 addition. ...

Confused about Model Year, Registration Year, and date of manufacture? See this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-year-213607/

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-25-2020 at 08:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Bill Mack (01-01-2021), MarkyUK (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 11:51 AM

Many thanks Stuart-have a bit more knowledge now.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

Many thanks Stuart-have a bit more knowledge now.
👍
That's what the
button in the bottom right corner is for.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:10 AM
Received 272 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Rearaxle
Don't buy a Jaguar. . Buy a Lincoln or a Cadillac. Also stay away from Audi or Mercedes. They are both a costly nightmare to own.
I read with interest until I hit this. Having owned all of these, I feel qualified to comment.

Sorry, but Linclon is just not on the same playing field. It's not even in the same stadium.

Cadillac is more like the Junior Varsity.... still trying, with flashes of brilliance and maybe, just maybe it will make it some day.

Audi and Mercedes are expensive to maintain, but they don't try to hide that fact and frankly, you (mostly) get what you pay for. Performance, ergonomics, build and ride quality: all the attributes that make motoring a pleasure are present in the Germans and particularly in my KXR. Yes, in this league you have to pay to play. Many of us don't mind that trade-off.

The following 3 users liked this post by Scott in PA:
Bill Mack (12-27-2020), Cee Jay (12-27-2020), Stuart S (12-28-2020)
Old 01-01-2021, 05:22 AM

Just a quick question folks - are many of yourselves using your vehicle as a daily driver, were it is over 8 year old? I appreciate they are all over 6 years. Hopefully going to view the red XKR on Monday. Many Thanks.

Quick Reply: Possible Purchase.