XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Post Tune Run

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts
Unhappy Post Tune Run

Will I have disappointing results that I need to validate via digging through the telemetry.

So I finally get the car back from the brake install and also the dealer, who installed only one new headlight not two! So now I have one milky and one clear light but that's another thread. I'm super pissed about this!

SO after the tune and the verified Dyno results my 1/4 mile was identical. The car felt the same on the 1/4 as before and the times were the same range. 12.55 117MPH

Now I did notice that after picking up the car the "Service required" light was now off and it was on after the tune, so I wonder if the dealer overwrote the tune or I've lost it. Does anyone think the dealer noticed the tune during this process? Has there been a Topix bulletin for an update?

I'm digging through the telemetery now and seeing max boost around 9.6ish which is more then stock 8.0LBS hard limit, but not what I saw on the Dyno at 11LBS. The Butt Dyno cant remember as I have not driven the car in a month. So far I am seeing higher then stock timing but I'm still comparing data.

I'm going to dig through some more data and revisit the Dyno ASAP and will report back.

I've emailed Jerry as well and sent him the time slip and will let you know how that goes.

If the tune is there, the TCU is totally limiting the power from a standstill and explains the 9.6LBS. On the road that may be a different story as I jumped on the road course before the rain hit and was around 150ish on the back straight but not fast enough to see if I could hit the stock speed limiter at 155.

Then it started raining.

Sorry for the rambling post but I wanted to update all of you and I've had a very long day and need to get to bed.

Tomorrow I'll try to find some open road and see what kind of boost I can get in 4th.

Attached Thumbnails Post Tune Run-wp_20140418_23_33_38_pro.jpg  

Last edited by MaximA; 04-18-2014 at 11:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaximA:
axr6 (04-19-2014), jleuz1 (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

I almost want to do a run with fuse 2 and 40 pulled as it is on the Dyno to see if one of these systems is causing the problem. I'm ready for a real TCU remap... Jerry please remap this TCU!

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Default viezu tune

Max,

Im doing a viezu tune on dyno with pulley and high flow cats on the gt on Tuesday and Wednesday. Will let you know what happens on my end. I don't have a base 1/4 mile time or trap speed to compare to. But there have been several reviews of the gt with times, and trap speeds I can compare against. I will keep you posted on what happens. I have mike from eurotoys coming to do the tune.

MaximA (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Just heard from Jerry and yeah the ECM was re-flashed by the dealer. He originally tuned mine on the dyno and spent 6 hours on it so he has tune saved. So other then the headache of sending it back it should be a 48 hour turn around.

DGL (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

BTW anyone have instructions on ECU removal?

Old 04-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by russduka
Max,

Im doing a viezu tune on dyno with pulley and high flow cats on the gt on Tuesday and Wednesday. Will let you know what happens on my end. I don't have a base 1/4 mile time or trap speed to compare to. But there have been several reviews of the gt with times, and trap speeds I can compare against. I will keep you posted on what happens. I have mike from eurotoys coming to do the tune.
You will enjoy the tune just be careful at the dealership. There was an update for my ECM so of course they thought they were doing me a favor.

Had a talk the GM and now only one person can touch my car...

Old 04-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
Just heard from Jerry and yeah the ECM was re-flashed by the dealer. He originally tuned mine on the dyno and spent 6 hours on it so he has tune saved. So other then the headache of sending it back it should be a 48 hour turn around.
You should get an obd port cover. I already have one that i bought. Manufacturer name was diablo. It literally says "do not reprogram" on it

The following 3 users liked this post by russduka:
DGL (04-19-2014), MaximA (04-20-2014), SoCal Babe (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 04:25 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

You should get an obd port cover. I already have one that i bought. Manufacturer name was diablo. It literally says "do not reprogram" on it
Yes, this. I was taping a full sheet of paper with "DO NOT FLASH" to the steering wheel; the cover is a bit more elegant...

Rich

MaximA (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:41 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

I've been waiting to hear about your results. Holy crap that sucks, **** happens. After doing so much to your car you must have been pissed when the car wasn't performing. Did you notice any difference after picking up the car in regard to the tune? I think it would be easier to have Jerry over night you the equipment to do the reflash yourself than to remove your ECM. Good thing Jerry has a copy saved of your custom tune!

Last edited by DGL; 04-19-2014 at 05:43 PM.
MaximA (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Why would you want to bring it to there attention. They use that port for all diagnostics not just engine. The last thing you need is the technician asking questions or worse. If they see that & send your file to Jaguar he could have your warranty partially voided.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

It's probably voided already, given that the OP gave the GM at the dealer a piece of his mind!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
It's probably voided already, given that the OP gave the GM at the dealer a piece of his mind!
It is always better to be nice. If he did make a scene you know every time the cars goes in they will reflash it back to stock.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Well, I guess I shouldn't have assumed that he was mean. He just "had a talk" with the GM. He didn't say his fist had a talk with the GM!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I guess I shouldn't have assumed that he was mean. He just "had a talk" with the GM. He didn't say his fist had a talk with the GM!
Good point. I hope he was nice.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I've been waiting to hear about your results. Holy crap that sucks, **** happens. After doing so much to your car you must have been pissed when the car wasn't performing. Did you notice any difference after picking up the car in regard to the tune? I think it would be easier to have Jerry over night you the equipment to do the reflash yourself than to remove your ECM. Good thing Jerry has a copy saved of your custom tune!
I was so ticked I didn't even try another run.. I picked the car up in the middle of rush hour and drove straight to the track so I couldn't get a chance notice anything. It did feel a bit different but after not driving it for a month it was hard to tell.

Jerry has the tools for a remote flash already loaned out so I'm pulling my ECM as soon as I finish watching my DVR of the F1 race. Going straight to the FedEx facility for overnight early shipping. I should have it back Wednesday but with my luck who knows

Old 04-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Good point. I hope he was nice.
The talk with the GM was more about the service overall. One headlight being replaced instead of two after I was told both were being replaced, and service being performed that I did not ask for. I've been very clear about them telling me everything that is being done to the car. Don't flash it, don't wash it, don't change my air pressure etc. I had to have my rear R logo replaced and look at the photo of the paint damage they did removing the glue. I had to have my detailer buff out the damage and apply the correct logo. After having my car in the shop for a month for the brake upgrade, the headlights should have been it.. Now I have to go back for the other headlight, send off my ECM and have my detailer spend the an hour fixing their damage. Not only that I wasted my entire Friday evening driving an three hours to the track and back for nothing. All this after I bought a RR Sport from them that same day..

Very annoying, but I'm going to look at the positive, now they will treat my car with kid gloves and Jerry can further tweak a few things with the tune based on the last dyno results. At least I have another car to drive while I wait for the ECM.

Attached Thumbnails Post Tune Run-v__3afe.jpg   Post Tune Run-v__90a9.jpg  
Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

They don't mind the mods on my car, most of the parts are jag parts even the Alcon calipers, the coil overs use modified F-type dampers that work with the Adaptive dampening etc. None of the factory engine or chassis safety or "self preservation" systems have been over ridden, no codes are thrown. Of course if I blow up an engine on the track that may be a different story but I expect that to be an issue and a risk I take. Its overheated on the track and the engine immediately limits power until it cools off as it should, it acts identical to how the stock XKRs act at the R Academy behave. The car is driven but babied at the same time, it goes to the shop for an oil change, full physical and detail after a track day. Anything worn or questionable is fixed at my expense I don't abuse the warranty privilege.

The loss of my time and the service adviser basically calling me a liar over a clearly defective headlight is what pisses me off more then anything. Now I still have to waste another day off, prey they don't break something else or flash my ECM again.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

ECM is out and shipped overnight... Pretty easy extraction although I'm not looking forward to reinstalling the lower right screw under the Master Cylinder.. That one took some imagination, extensions, and joints..

I should have it Wednesday so I will hit the track again Friday, and hopefully report back some better times.

Hope everyone has a good afternoon!

Old 04-20-2014, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Good luck with it, mate - this saga needs to come to a happy ending!

MaximA (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

I have a box of those "Do Not Reflash" OBD port covers, if anyone wants one let me know. But like Jgaxkr says, it can work both ways, you're calling attention to the fact you've had the ECU tuned, which may cause warranty issues....

MaximA (04-20-2014)

Quick Reply: Post Tune Run