XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Programming new key fob remote

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts
Default Programming new key fob remote

Hi all, I recently decided to bite the bullet and purchase a new OEM key fob remote from my local Jaguar dealership. I have one factory original, but don't want to chance losing it. The dealerships vary or pricing for everything, including programming the remote. One is over $200 (Crazy!) and the other is $140. There are a few other locals (locksmiths, and Indy mechanics) that have said they can program the remote as well for a competitive price compared to Jaguar. My question is this....Is there a chance that someone not totally familiar with programming can screw things up with my car? I have my original factory fob and the replacement is also OEM from Jaguar. I understand the program is SDD through Jaguar (Symptom Driven Diagnostics). Is it best to stay with the dealer in case something goes south? Thanks all. PS... I'm somewhat annoyed that the Jag dealership of which I've brought my car to over the years just doesn't comp the programming or at least do it for a reasonable amount....but then again it's a dealership, and they charge a lot because they can.

Last edited by bocatrip; 09-10-2021 at 12:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bocatrip:
GeeVeeXF (09-14-2021), Yus (09-16-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Personally, I'd just go to the dealer. Even at $200. Say you save $100 from a local and he botches it. Then it'll cost you $200+ more at the dealer to fix it.

I'd go to the $140 dealer. Done.

The following 5 users liked this post by shemp:
bocatrip (09-10-2021), Cee Jay (09-16-2021), GeeVeeXF (09-14-2021), guy (10-19-2023), ralphwg (09-12-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
Personally, I'd just go to the dealer. Even at $200. Say you save $100 from a local and he botches it. Then it'll cost you $200+ more at the dealer to fix it.

I'd go to the $140 dealer. Done.
Thanks Shemp. Makes total sense to me, and my thinking was exactly as yours. Pay more at the beginning, but know it's done. Thanks again.

The following users liked this post:
shemp (09-10-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 08:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Our 2007 XK only came with one key fob. I ordered one from a random vendor I found on-line. Called a locksmith and he could do nothing with it and suggested I order an OEM. I found an OEM refurbished key fob on-line and called him back. He came back and could do nothing with that one either. So I contacted my local dealer and ordered a new one. It came in 10 days and I had them program it. Everything went perfectly. The new Jaguar key fob was $401.00 and they programmed it for $150.00 in about a half hour.

It was more than I expected to pay, but it works and now I have two keys and peace of mind.

The following 2 users liked this post by lou350z:
GeeVeeXF (09-14-2021), guy (10-19-2023)
Old 09-13-2021, 01:32 PM
Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by lou350z
Our 2007 XK only came with one key fob. I ordered one from a random vendor I found on-line. Called a locksmith and he could do nothing with it and suggested I order an OEM. I found an OEM refurbished key fob on-line and called him back. He came back and could do nothing with that one either. So I contacted my local dealer and ordered a new one. It came in 10 days and I had them program it. Everything went perfectly. The new Jaguar key fob was $401.00 and they programmed it for $150.00 in about a half hour.

It was more than I expected to pay, but it works and now I have two keys and peace of mind.
Little known fact that I learned from these boards: During the '07 model run, key FOBs switched from single-channel to multi-channel. Switch occurred around #12815. I didn't know that before I got my 2nd FOB, and it cost me some extra money as well.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Live and learn brother. I'm just very happy to have the car. My Dad had an 83 XJS-HE 12 cylinder he bought brand new. I bought it from him in 1995 and kept it a few years until the AC gave out. He be happy to know I've got another Jag now if he was still around to see it. He been gone for 21 years.

The following 2 users liked this post by lou350z:
007XKR (09-13-2021), GeeVeeXF (09-14-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I have twice gone to independent locksmiths to get extra keys, and they both sold me Jaguar fobs wihich they then programmed and both worked fine The price as I recall was about 1/3 of the dealer's price. I would caution against ordering fobs from ebay as most of them come from China, so that if you have a problem, where are you going to send it back, and secondly, the fobs are of questionable quality. I had previously ordered one, and the locksmith said it was defective and could not be programmed. He had new fobs, programmed them for me, and they were less expensive than the ebay fob.

GeeVeeXF (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 07:01 PM
Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Hi all, I recently decided to bite the bullet and purchase a new OEM key fob remote from my local Jaguar dealership. I have one factory original, but don't want to chance losing it. The dealerships vary or pricing for everything, including programming the remote. One is over $200 (Crazy!) and the other is $140. There are a few other locals (locksmiths, and Indy mechanics) that have said they can program the remote as well for a competitive price compared to Jaguar. My question is this....Is there a chance that someone not totally familiar with programming can screw things up with my car? I have my original factory fob and the replacement is also OEM from Jaguar. I understand the program is SDD through Jaguar (Symptom Driven Diagnostics). Is it best to stay with the dealer in case something goes south? Thanks all. PS... I'm somewhat annoyed that the Jag dealership of which I've brought my car to over the years just doesn't comp the programming or at least do it for a reasonable amount....but then again it's a dealership, and they charge a lot because they can.
Remember that you need to program both fobs at the same time, otherwise you risk making the old fob an orphan and it will cease working on the car.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:02 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

This thread couldn't come at a better time. My 2008 XF came with two fobs and both have worked reliably for 13 years. Two months ago I went out and I dropped my fob and it landed in a deep drain. I've spent several days contacting local Automotive Locksmiths without success. So today I contacted my local Jaguar dealer. New fob arriving end of the week and they'll reprogram it along with my original FOB. $410 dollars. Bit pricey but I feel distinctly uncomfortable not having a spare!!!

Old 09-15-2021, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GeeVeeXF
This thread couldn't come at a better time. My 2008 XF came with two fobs and both have worked reliably for 13 years. Two months ago I went out and I dropped my fob and it landed in a deep drain. I've spent several days contacting local Automotive Locksmiths without success. So today I contacted my local Jaguar dealer. New fob arriving end of the week and they'll reprogram it along with my original FOB. $410 dollars. Bit pricey but I feel distinctly uncomfortable not having a spare!!!
GeeVeeXF.....Your price seems about right. Some pay more at dealerships. I picked up my transponder today from Jaguar, after ordering it last week. The serial number of the car is crucial when ordering from Jag to get the correct transponder. I'm going into Jaguar tomorrow to get both FOBS programmed. At least I'll know if there are any issues, I have the confidence that Jaguar programmed everything with their OEM Fob replacement . Yes, it will be more comfortable to have both again. I still need to get the emergency key and have it cut. I have the original, so I'm not all that concerned, plus the emergency key is the least of the overall expense in the replacement.

GeeVeeXF (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 06:07 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the reassurance!!

bocatrip (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GeeVeeXF
Thanks for the reassurance!!
No problem... It's only money!

Old 09-17-2021, 01:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XK Key Fobs and Programming

I just went through this process with my 2010 XK Convertible. Be VERY careful. You must purchase a NEW Key Fob or one that has been 'divorced' from the vehicle it was initially programmed to. This model is very specific on how Jaguar matched the Key Fobs to the car - all had to be singularly programmed at time of sale to the vehicle purchased. This prevents key fob thefts and ability to use on other vehicles. I purchased my NEW Fob at carandtruckremotes.com - it came brand new with battery and un-finished physical emergency key - only $90 bucks with promo code. I tried an excellent Jag technician and repair shop - he had programmed many other vehicles including Jags. This one stumped him as it requested (on the SDD) that he DELETE all keys. He was afraid to do so thinking we'd be left with no operational key. Took it to our local Jag dealer (not well respected until recently acquired by a new owner) - it was a perfect job - for $160. So you can save a few bucks on the new remote - but need a dealer or confirmed repairman or locksmith totally familiar with the XK model. CeeJay has written about this in another thread. Good luck.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by letsgoblue67
I just went through this process with my 2010 XK Convertible. Be VERY careful. You must purchase a NEW Key Fob or one that has been 'divorced' from the vehicle it was initially programmed to. This model is very specific on how Jaguar matched the Key Fobs to the car - all had to be singularly programmed at time of sale to the vehicle purchased. This prevents key fob thefts and ability to use on other vehicles. I purchased my NEW Fob at carandtruckremotes.com - it came brand new with battery and un-finished physical emergency key - only $90 bucks with promo code. I tried an excellent Jag technician and repair shop - he had programmed many other vehicles including Jags. This one stumped him as it requested (on the SDD) that he DELETE all keys. He was afraid to do so thinking we'd be left with no operational key. Took it to our local Jag dealer (not well respected until recently acquired by a new owner) - it was a perfect job - for $160. So you can save a few bucks on the new remote - but need a dealer or confirmed repairman or locksmith totally familiar with the XK model. CeeJay has written about this in another thread. Good luck.
There you go.....Your Jag tech that had programmed many other Jags was indeed stumped, but fortunately, no harm done. You were then able to go to the authorized dealer and get it done correctly with no issues. If your Jag tech didn't charge you (which he shouldn't have since he was unable to do the job) you got off easy at $250...Great deal! However, programming our fobs can be hit or miss depending upon the fob purchased and the ability of the programmer. I just programmed my new OEM Jaguar dealer purchased Fob yesterday at the total cost of $425 (without the hard key) with no problems or glitches. Yes you got a better deal, but it's not always the case with others. The correct Fob is extremely important with our cars and there are loads of improper applications at great prices that don't work. Glad it worked out for you. I paid more, but all is well and we both made out well. Lesson to be learned by others.

Old 09-18-2021, 07:36 AM
Received 197 Likes on 125 Posts

hm. i've been an embedded systems programmer. i should learn how to do this for all of us. not a clue how to get started unfortunately. gotta say, not keen on using my car and its two OEM key fobs as a testbed, though.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:53 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello to all,
same thing on the old continent: key passed to the washing machine and thus out of order; it is repaired but it is necessary to pass by the dealer to reprogram the two keys! cost: 130 euros!

Old 09-19-2021, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,286 Likes on 3,450 Posts

For programming details, see the Sticky at the top of this Forum titled "XK/XKR - 'How To' / DIY Repair & Maintenance" and scroll down to "8. KEY FOB / REMOTE."

Programming information starts at post #6:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ion%85-171095/ (thanks to U1026768 and Cambo)

Old 10-19-2023, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jag Key FOB reprogram

Philly dealerships want between $300-400 PLUS Programing fee of $150 !! I have a FOB from my 2015 XF an need to see if it can be reprogrammed to my 2016 XF I just bought.

Old 10-19-2023, 02:41 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,104 Likes on 777 Posts

With one of the LRs, I put the fob through the washing cycle.
With the jag, the former wife wouldn’t give her copy back.

So I have ordered keys in the past. Always through the dealer.

But I’m all about convenience and discovered that my wish isn’t possible(at least by the local dealer perspective). I want fleet keys. The very same fob working in all my cars. No luck so far.

Cheers.