XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Promising Valve cleaner and injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Isn't the primary cause for this carbon build up due to the PCV system . Considering the only fumes that enter the intake system are either air or oil vapor it would seem this is the cause. Does an oil catch can system reduce this problem.

The following users liked this post:
peppersam740 (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

There are some forum threads that discuss catch can mods. Unfortunately, space in the XK engine bay is at a premium and I've yet to identify a location that would work to my satisfaction. My understanding is that the container works best positioned lower than intake level but needs easy access in order to drain the collected oil.
I'm sure adding a catch can would not eliminate carbon buildup but should reduce it to some degree.
As part of the PCV system the 5.0L has an air/oil stripper but, as indicated in the catch can threads, a significant amount of oil gets past it and back into the intake stream.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:38 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the 3.0 where I mounted mine just in back of the passenger side cylinder head. It does collect a fair amount of where I have to check on it every few months. Pics in my album. I've studied the 5.0 and there is just no room for it there.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Just watch the vid linked in the first post of this thread and all will be revealed!
Specifically 2.44 to 2.52 of the vid.
Also note that the truth is Not revealed! At 8.00 they show before and after injector images.... Only the "before" picture was actually taken 23 days after the "after" picture! (Ain't advertisers wonderful!)

Keeping it serious, I still believe induction cleaning with DI engines is a "must". Just funny that they screwed up the images.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Just finished treating the car with a can of the CRC GDI Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner, all on my lonesome.
I used the brake booster vacuum line connection shown above and it all went without a hitch.
I also used two of the clear plastic tubes that came with my oil extraction pump joined together, that way I could spray the contents of the can into the brake booster vacuum line while sitting in the driver's seat operating the throttle. I can't find who it was that suggested this method (they bought six or nine feet of 9 mm clear plastic tubing) but thanks for the tip! The thick end of the pump tube fitted perfectly over (not inside) the brake booster vacuum line tube with a nice tight fit, and the spray tip of the can of CRC fitted down the other end of the thinner tube just nice.
Took seven or eight minutes of regular on/off spraying to empty the can of CRC and about six minutes in the check engine light flashed up for about three seconds then went away. And during the one minute of idling afterwards the top of the engine sounded very rattly and a different rattle to what I have ever heard before (and mine has always been a very rattly engine).
I was worried that the CRC treatment may have done some damage to the SC, and when I took the car for the recommended 10 minute highway run (after shutting it down and letting it heat soak for an hour) it hiccuped very briefly the first two times I gave it WOT. But then it came good, no more hiccups, plenty of power and no CEL. Maybe it was just coughing up some dissolved carbon build up?
Too early yet to tell if the CRC treatment has made any discernible difference but it feels at least as strong as it did before.
Minor update.
Yesterday (one day after running the CRC treatment) I hooked up my iCarsoft LR V2.0 code reader and it showed some interesting new error codes - from memory "misfire cylinder 3", "misfire cylinder 5" and "catalytic converter fail". Not entirely sure these are the actual codes that were shown as I immediately cleared them, but close.
Anyway, went for a run this morning, car ran great, no CEL, got back and checked for codes again and all good, zero codes.
The codes were obviously triggered by the CRC treatment and again I suspect the car coughed up some carbon build up which triggered the codes.
So a heads up for those thinking of using this CRC valve cleaner, you may get some error codes!

Old 01-24-2020, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I did too but they cleared after a few cycles.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:29 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

All,

this is a very interesting thread. Thanks for starting Q&C.
I have been thinking about this catch can business. Also for the LR.
we just changed all the coils and spark plugs in the xkr and replaced the pvc valve: the originals were in good shape. They were last changed 50000 kms ago.
So I’m on the fence post on the catch can advantage. Perhaps I will just using a regularly scheduled valve and injector cleaner approach. Every year??

George05 (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 03:39 PM

I wouldn't have a car without one. They catch a lot of oil.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:55 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

Interesting. Those with a catch can, do you notice if you are consuming more oil between oil changes? Perhaps just feeding the catch can?
I think I will use the method of valve and injector cleaning by drilling a hole very close to the throttle body. I really dislike the amount of effort it takes to remove the entire air induction system every time I decide to clean it. Thus not using k&n filters any longer... to much oily residue in the system.

I have never had the need to add oil between oil changes. I do an oil change every 5 -10 000 kim’s.
(surprises me really at 150000 km)

Old 01-28-2020, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
Interesting. Those with a catch can, do you notice if you are consuming more oil between oil changes? Perhaps just feeding the catch can?
If you do not use a catch can then the oil/vapor passes into the combustion chamber over the inlet valves, leaves deposits, and then gets burned.

With the 4.2 SC engine that "contaminated" mixture passes thru the cooling matrix in the charge coolers and will gradually block off the matrix probably severely restricting the effectiveness after maybe 60k miles?

So an oil catch can will prevent a good deal of it however that does not mean you use more oil with a catch can.

Last edited by jackra_1; 01-28-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
Those with a catch can, do you notice if you are consuming more oil between oil changes? Perhaps just feeding the catch can?
I rarely use emojis. That was a good one.

On this engine I have seen plenty go 200,000miles and never show any signs of needing a catch can.

When a excellent tech named Brutal was still here and being charitable, he told us he had never seen an intake valve that did not have concerning carbon.

Ok I have some questions too. I had asked this but no one replied. In choosing a hole in the rubber collar just in front of the throttle body there is nothing to lose. That rubber collar is a common wear part. But you clean the throttle plate and body in process.
If you use the vacuum line right behind the TB which is very easy to disconnect, I am guessing that no cleaner gets to clean the throttle body??

Old 01-28-2020, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I rarely use emojis. That was a good one.

On this engine I have seen plenty go 200,000miles and never show any signs of needing a catch can.

When a excellent tech named Brutal was still here and being charitable, he told us he had never seen an intake valve that did not have concerning carbon.

Ok I have some questions too. I had asked this but no one replied. In choosing a hole in the rubber collar just in front of the throttle body there is nothing to lose. That rubber collar is a common wear part. But you clean the throttle plate and body in process.
If you use the vacuum line right behind the TB which is very easy to disconnect, I am guessing that no cleaner gets to clean the throttle body??
I think you are correct.

My choice on my 5.0 NA engine will be to drill a hole when I ever get around to it.

I know the 5.0 engine has better oil control than the 4.2 however I would love to hear from someone that has looked at the charge coolers on a 5.0 SC engine after 50-70k miles.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
I think you are correct.

My choice on my 5.0 NA engine will be to drill a hole when I ever get around to it.
Thank you.
Really wanted to do a Y connector at the vacuum line but could get any info if the cleaner would still remain atomized.
I understand the benefits as it can be done by one person, in my case having a hand is not an issue.
I will use a drill bit the size of the straw and use blunt side to burn a hole. Plug it with a screw.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:32 PM

It catch's about half the can between oil changes. Have never had to add oil between changes.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

Thank you.
Really wanted to do a Y connector at the vacuum line but could get any info if the cleaner would still remain atomized.
I understand the benefits as it can be done by one person, in my case having a hand is not an issue.
I will use a drill bit the size of the straw and use blunt side to burn a hole. Plug it with a screw.
Q&C do you know that hose part no ?the one that was crumbling remember ?

Old 01-28-2020, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by George05
Q&C do you know that hose part no ?the one that was crumbling remember ?
No mate, I would not put Jaguar rubber back on there, its commonly available. Any 6mm ID tube with some flex will be better, last longer. Its not molded.

guy (01-31-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

Thanks Q&C

Old 01-30-2020, 12:57 PM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Isn't the primary cause for this carbon build up due to the PCV system . Considering the only fumes that enter the intake system are either air or oil vapor it would seem this is the cause. Does an oil catch can system reduce this problem.
You're fogetting 1 important thing ... the EGR valve. When I had my throttle body elbow out, the carbon buildup and exhaust residue inside the elbow was severe - all from the EGR. How much of that exhaust affects the the intake valves? Not sure. But if it builds up there then it must build up over time on the valves also.

I speculate that a good catch can coupled with an EGR blanking system would tremendously reduce carbon build up inside your intake.

Originally Posted by guy
I think I will use the method of valve and injector cleaning by drilling a hole very close to the throttle body. I really dislike the amount of effort it takes to remove the entire air induction system every time I decide to clean it. Thus not using k&n filters any longer... to much oily residue in the system.

I have never had the need to add oil between oil changes. I do an oil change every 5 -10 000 kim’s.
(surprises me really at 150000 km)
I do my oil changes @ 6000 miles. Drain the catch can @ 3000 miles. I get almost 200 mL out of the can every 6000 miles. And when doing an oil change, I am always a bit lower on oil than when I filled it. So I can safely assume the missing oil gets caught in the can, and some still gets by and gets burned.

See post #66 here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-207259/page4/

guy (01-31-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 01:04 PM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

I remember reading somewhere on here that the throttle body plate has a special coating, so you're probably better off not spraying cleaner on it.

Unlike me where I didn't know that and sprayed the stuff directly on the throttle body plate a year ago. Ooops!

But yeah logically if you spray cleaner downstream of the TB, the vacuum and flow won't allow any of the cleaner to get the TB.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gkubrak
I remember reading somewhere on here that the throttle body plate has a special coating, so you're probably better off not spraying cleaner on it.

Unlike me where I didn't know that and sprayed the stuff directly on the throttle body plate a year ago. Ooops!

But yeah logically if you spray cleaner downstream of the TB, the vacuum and flow won't allow any of the cleaner to get the TB.
I read that somewhere as well. Realistically how long does that special coating last tho.

Queen and Country (01-30-2020)

Quick Reply: Promising Valve cleaner and injector cleaner