XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Pros/Cons of 19" wheels versus 20" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:06 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ice350

Just look at how nice it looks with 21's.
They fill up the arches and provide huge grip.
With the proper tire selection, the ride will still be nice.
Car looks HOT, but 20's are plenty for me.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:06 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Would love to see what a 2010+ XKR looks like with a variety of 18" rims and different tire sizes. I think the wheel wells are perfectly filled by the 19"s, and would love to get the benefits of running 18"s if they look ok. Anyone taken the plunge yet? Will they clear the brakes in an XKR?

Thanks, keep the conversation going,

Skeeter

Old 03-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
Car looks HOT, but 20's are plenty for me.
Me too...I like to keep a low profile (haha) when I'm driving and those 21's are waaay too eye-catching.

If the road to ruin is littered with twisted wrecks on big wheels and low-profile tires I may consider it a personal challenge when the C-X16 is released with its 21's. To prepare for potential loss in grip I'll hone my driving skills this summer on the track with the Dunlops until the tread is gone, slipping and sliding it till the bitter end...and then I might just do a glorious burn-out!

If Jaguar sees this thread maybe they'll offer other choices. Complete Custom Wheel in Florida sells track wheels for the Supra TT that a lot of the guys use for the track and street. When I asked them if there was anything smaller than their recommended track set they said they had a "chick" package that was an inch smaller in diameter and width...I said I'll take their track set!
I guess Vince is right, it's all about marketing
Skeeter, here's their link... Complete Custom Wheel - Wheel Profiles. Great styles and good prices. Maybe they can come up with a recommendation and fitment for you. Adding a photo of mine with 18" fronts to clear brakes and 17" on rear to allow more sidewall flex for better grip on corner exits. A 19" front (if needed to clear the 2010+ rotors) and 18" inch rear would maybe suit your needs.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 03-29-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName

Sorry, not buying the huge grip part.

Vince
OK, you got me. That's simply propoganda expoused by wheel manufacturers and dealers. I know performance is much better with wide tires as opposed to larger diameter. However too wide is not preferable either due to excessive oversteer.

First time I ever repeated that crap and never will again.

Truth is, I think the XKR looks best with 21's and that reason is good enough for me.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

OK, you got me. That's simply propoganda expoused by wheel manufacturers and dealers. I know performance is much better with wide tires as opposed to larger diameter. However too wide is not preferable either due to excessive oversteer.

First time I ever repeated that crap and never will again.

Truth is, I think the XKR looks best with 21's and that reason is good enough for me.
Fair enough... Yer car still looks darn sharp....

Vince

Old 03-30-2012, 06:31 AM

Fair enough... Yer car still looks darn sharp....

Vince
Thanks but that's not my car in the pic. I'm planning to get an xkr and it will look similar to the one in the pic. The arden xkr is my inspiration but I'm waiting until I save every dime needed to outright purchase the car and mods I want.

Currently, I'm driving an 07 Lexus GS350 on 20's and 06 GS300 0n 19's. I love Lexus reliability and style but I want something faster and sportier but still luxurious. Hopefully, I get one off the assembly that doesn't need to go to the shop every month.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Currently, I'm driving an 07 Lexus GS350 on 20's and 06 GS300 0n 19's. I love Lexus reliability and style but I want something faster and sportier but still luxurious. Hopefully, I get one off the assembly that doesn't need to go to the shop every month.
Not sure i could have made the move from a GS350..Very nice car. I came from over from an IS350 to a base XK and knew I was spoiled by the reliability of the Lex.

My XK is a slower car buy my goodness what a driver.... Just put 1800miles on her last week and had more fun than anything my IS could offer. I no longer question my decision, other that to wish I could have reached for an XKR.
As a heads up, you will hate the NAV, and Bluetooth interface, but you adapt quickly to just enjoying the drive.....

I averaged 24.7mpg on the trip... Don't think an R will get you anywhere close to that....

BOL
Vince

Old 03-30-2012, 06:02 PM

Not sure i could have made the move from a GS350..Very nice car. I came from over from an IS350 to a base XK and knew I was spoiled by the reliability of the Lex.

My XK is a slower car buy my goodness what a driver.... Just put 1800miles on her last week and had more fun than anything my IS could offer. I no longer question my decision, other that to wish I could have reached for an XKR.
As a heads up, you will hate the NAV, and Bluetooth interface, but you adapt quickly to just enjoying the drive.....

I averaged 24.7mpg on the trip... Don't think an R will get you anywhere close to that....

BOL
Vince
Thanks for the input. I'm going right for the XKR with the Dynamic and Speed Pack options. I won't miss the reliability of the Lexus cars cause I am keeping them. My GS350 has really good pull but but the XKR is a brute.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Adding a photo of mine with 18" fronts to clear brakes and 17" on rear to allow more sidewall flex for better grip on corner exits. A 19" front (if needed to clear the 2010+ rotors) and 18" inch rear would maybe suit your needs.

Bruce
Ok, I'll throw an other coin into this thread.

Gasp.... I like the looks of those 17" rear wheels with the taller sidewall much more than the 21" posted by ice350. They fill the wheel arches and, to me, they suggest more "muscle". The 21" is beginning to look like a rail-wagon wheel, designed for running on rails, since it has barely any rubber on it. Also, I bet those 17"s have more grip than the same tire model/diameter/width would have in 20s or 21s.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 04-01-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

On the way back from Dallas in my 2010 (~815 miles) the trip computer says I averaged 22.6 MPH. I did 75 most of the way.

I did accelerate a few times and did drive faster than that on occasion.

BOL
Vince

Old 04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I did choose these strictly for performance as opposed to high style, but it does have a "purposeful" look to it. Unfortunately 17's in wider sizes for the rears are actually getting harder to find. No question at all that the taller sidewall on the 17" has more straight-line grip for hard acceleration than any larger wheel equivalent. Those 315/35/17 tires are about the same overall diameter as the stock 255/40/17's, but it was dropped about 1" when corner balanced, and together that all helped to fill out the fender wells.

Tire compound makes a huge difference in grip, and that should be recognized where buying a new set of 1" different wheels seems too costly. Fortunately we have enough rubber under the car that most drivers won't have to worry about grip as much as they do a speeding ticket!

Bruce

Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Here's a review of the base '07 on Factory 18"s just to show you the looks.
A better set (lighter) and a little lowering and she would still look darn sweet....

Vince

Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for positing that Vince. I don't think I've ever seen one with 18's. I personally think they date the car, and really take away from its contemporary look. That doesn't matter if you need 18's to satisfy your preference for a taller sidewalled tire. Lowering does improve the look by reducing fender gap, but it likely won't change the outdated look of the wheel/tire combo. If you're trying to improve the handling of the XK with those modifications I'd seriously consider putting that money towards an XKR where you'll get a broad range of power and handling improvements for the extra investment, and hopefully get much of it back at resale time.

Bruce

Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

I'd seriously consider putting that money towards an XKR where you'll get a broad range of power and handling improvements for the extra investment, and hopefully get much of it back at resale time.

Bruce
The sad truth for me Bruce is that I could barely afford the used XK. An XKR is nothing more than wishful thinking until I get done with child support payments... That's another 3 years minimum.

When replacment tire time comes around, a set of 4 18" will cost about $800-$1000, while OEM 19s are $1200-$1800 depending on compounds.

I'll take that dollar difference and invest in an lightweight set of 18" rims and good rubber. Figuring maybe $2500 total for a full on performance setup.

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 04-01-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Do you think you would need to hang on to the factory parts and return it to stock at resale time to make it more saleable? Do you have particular wheels and tires in mind?

Bruce

Old 04-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Do you think you would need to hang on to the factory parts and return it to stock at resale time to make it more saleable? Do you have particular wheels and tires in mind?

Bruce
Yes I always keep OEM stuff for just that reason (vehicle resale).

Wheel research is only getting started, as there is so little data on 18" rims. Bolt patterns, offsets and such are known, but I need the inside diameter of the rim to be sure I clear the calipers as well.... That figure is elusive.

In looking light weight yet tough, Enkei makes several from the PF01 to RSM9's All sit near the 20lb mark
Team Dynamics Racing is a popular with the pro Race 1.2 and 1.3 series...
Just hard to find a US distributor.

My last set was OZ Racing, and although more costly, they were a softer material than the Enkei line, not to mention significantly more expensive.

Tires: I've run Bridgestone RE-11's on my last two cars.. Love them and will be hard pressed not to buy again. The only down side was road noise, so I will study comparable tires and ponder a change if I find a close match. (Difficult as the RE-11's are at the top of their category in nearly all performer benchmarks except noise)

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 04-02-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Tires: I've run Bridgestone RE-11's on my last two cars.. Love them and will be hard pressed not to buy again. The only down side was road noise, so I will study comparable tires and ponder a change if I find a close match. (Difficult as the RE-11's are at the top of their category in nearly all performer benchmarks except noise)

Vince
Bridgestone S03's (I think now there's S04's) should be considered. I found the S03 Pole Position to be quiet and amazing in the rain.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Guys, I'm still trying to figure out WHAT and WHO offers wheels for XK regardless of size!

Who are the best vendors and where are some pics of other cars? Finally, why is our fitment so unique.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evoking
Guys, I'm still trying to figure out WHAT and WHO offers wheels for XK regardless of size!

Who are the best vendors and where are some pics of other cars? Finally, why is our fitment so unique.
I don't think its the fitment, its the bolt pattern that is holding us back.
At least from what I see so far....

Vince

Old 04-02-2012, 04:15 PM

I don't think its the fitment, its the bolt pattern that is holding us back.
At least from what I see so far....

Vince
What is the bolt pattern?

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons of 19" wheels versus 20" wheels