XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

puddle lights for XK's

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts
Default R logo

thanks for that, maybe someone can make up an R design light or lens replacement, as for my idea on inserting one in the roof, the R with the green ,red and silver would i think look awesome in the dark, looking through the rear window seeing the design on the rear self. I'm ordering 2 sets , will do the doors, then
maybe will do the self light.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:40 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey, I don't know if anybody has done this yet. Last weekend I was just a little bothered by the interference of the factory light with my cool projected leaper. So I took the lens off the factory light and covered the clear part (on the inside of the lens) with a piece of electrical tape. You might think about it, it worked well, and its easily reversed if you ever wanted to.

Last edited by liquid-chris; 05-22-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by liquid-chris
Hey, I don't know if anybody has done this yet. Last weekend I was just a little bothered by the interference of the factory light with my cool projected leaper. So I took the lens off the factory light and covered the clear part (on the inside of the lens) with a piece of electrical tape. You might think about it, it worked well, and its easily reversed if you ever wanted to.
Good idea as the factory light can over light the puddle lights. I am sure the Jaguar logo puddle lights will look much more attractive without the courtsey/door light shinning down on the Jag logo and leaper.

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Default puddle

good thinking, will put some tape on when i fit, lights ordered so can't wait so see the effect

Old 07-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I just put these on my XJ8L and they really do look amazing! Took me about 45 minutes total time including gathering tools and clean up. Wow! I should have bought them a long time ago.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts

Don't know if you guys looked recently but now they have them that replace the puddle lamp. No more drilling so I figure I'll give it a try, little more expensive at $30.99 for the set but free shipping.

Let you know how it works as I've ordered a set.

The following 3 users liked this post by DpezXK8:
Muddydog (01-11-2015), Ngarara (01-12-2015), ralphwg (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

What website are they on DpezXK8 . I have mine fitted a while now and they look good, but have the jaguar logo seems to spin round sometimes.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 AM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Loose Puddle Lights

Powerhouse, you need to take off the factory puddle light lens, then reach inside the opening and tighten the lock washer on the Jag emblem puddle light in order to keep the Jag logo image from turning.

powerhouse (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DpezXK8
Don't know if you guys looked recently but now they have them that replace the puddle lamp. No more drilling so I figure I'll give it a try, little more expensive at $30.99 for the set but free shipping.

Let you know how it works as I've ordered a set.

Would love to see a link to these.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
What website are they on DpezXK8 . I have mine fitted a while now and they look good, but have the jaguar logo seems to spin round sometimes.
Powerhouse:

I had the same problem. I removed the puddle light, had to open it up, because the Jaguar Logo is embedded in the housing. The light passes thru the Jaguar logo, thru the plastic lenses onto the ground. When you open and close the door, the Jaguar Logo inside the housing can rotate, because the piece is loose. These are sold with different logos, so when they are ordered, the person selling them installs the plastic disc with the Jaguar logo. I had to open the housing, and apply a drop of Crazy Glue, or Gorilla Glue to hold the plastic disc logo piece in place.

Warning: do not remove any of the plastic lenses, just place a dab of glue on the Jaguar Logo piece which is about 1/16 to 1/8 wide and black plastic.

Let the drop of glue dry, put the housing back together, then re-insert the puddle light back into the drilled hole, rewire if you took it apart to fix. Wait until darkness, then postion the puddle in the direction that suits you best for when opening the door to project the image the way you think is best. I also using a small dab of Liquid nails to secure the housing that slides into the hole from turning also.

It is an easy fix, takes some calm hands, and sharp tip knife to open the plastic cylindrical case, and pair of tweezers to work with. I am sure that the sultry blonde of yours has the tools to help you complete this task, especially tweezers.

This should help correct the problem.

powerhouse (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Powerhouse:

I had the same problem. I removed the puddle light, had to open it up, because the Jaguar Logo is embedded in the housing. The light passes thru the Jaguar logo, thru the plastic lenses onto the ground. When you open and close the door, the Jaguar Logo inside the housing can rotate, because the piece is loose. These are sold with different logos, so when they are ordered, the person selling them installs the plastic disc with the Jaguar logo. I had to open the housing, and apply a drop of Crazy Glue, or Gorilla Glue to hold the plastic disc logo piece in place.

Warning: do not remove any of the plastic lenses, just place a dab of glue on the Jaguar Logo piece which is about 1/16 to 1/8 wide and black plastic.

Let the drop of glue dry, put the housing back together, then re-insert the puddle light back into the drilled hole, rewire if you took it apart to fix. Wait until darkness, then postion the puddle in the direction that suits you best for when opening the door to project the image the way you think is best. I also using a small dab of Liquid nails to secure the housing that slides into the hole from turning also.

It is an easy fix, takes some calm hands, and sharp tip knife to open the plastic cylindrical case, and pair of tweezers to work with. I am sure that the sultry blonde of yours has the tools to help you complete this task, especially tweezers.

This should help correct the problem.
Thanks for that, will get her to get down a dirty this weekend, i'm sure i'll be fit to supply her with a tool for the job.
Just for you another picture, hope you like.

Attached Thumbnails puddle lights for XK's-dsc_0073-3-.jpg  

Last edited by powerhouse; 01-12-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:54 PM

I just went on ebay and there were three listings before the old style

I attached a screen shot, hope they fit, find out in a week or so.

I'll let you know

Attached Thumbnails puddle lights for XK's-ebay-light.jpg  
Old 01-12-2015, 07:04 PM

Here's the link but they might be for an XJ, The us one only said Jaguar.
Hope they use the same puddle lamps, I'll let you know.

2 Pcs LED 3D Car Welcome Light Projection Shadow Logo for 4S Store Jaguar XJ | eBay

Old 01-12-2015, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Thanks for that, will get her to get down a dirty this weekend, i'm sure i'll be fit to supply her with a tool for the job.
Just for you another picture, hope you like.
OMG.....you must be kidding......no wonder your ID is Powerhouse. I am not sure I could handle her. Your one lucky dude!

powerhouse (01-13-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DpezXK8
Here's the link but they might be for an XJ, The us one only said Jaguar.
Hope they use the same puddle lamps, I'll let you know.

2 Pcs LED 3D Car Welcome Light Projection Shadow Logo for 4S Store Jaguar XJ | eBay
If they fit the XK/XKR series, this would be the way to go. Thanks for the link.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
If they fit the XK/XKR series, this would be the way to go. Thanks for the link.
I have both an XK and an XJ so I went out to the garage the check and the lights are the same. No worries.

DpezXK8 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,015 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Would like to hear about the quality of the 'no drill' units. Looking at the picture in the eBay ad, you can see both a red and white wire inside the thing.
I'd like the appearance to look a little 'cleaner' and more professional. But maybe you won't see it when its installed?
I ordered the 'drill type', and will hold off on installing until I read about your experience with the 'no drill' option.

For those that have installed the 'drill type', did you set it to project the logo so that you and your co-pilot can easily read it (but you already know you're in a Jag), or rotate it such that the gawking crowd can clearly read it from 'outside your personal space'?

Old 01-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Would like to hear about the quality of the 'no drill' units. Looking at the picture in the eBay ad, you can see both a red and white wire inside the thing.
I'd like the appearance to look a little 'cleaner' and more professional. But maybe you won't see it when its installed?
I ordered the 'drill type', and will hold off on installing until I read about your experience with the 'no drill' option.

For those that have installed the 'drill type', did you set it to project the logo so that you and your co-pilot can easily read it (but you already know you're in a Jag), or rotate it such that the gawking crowd can clearly read it from 'outside your personal space'?
The lights do not show until you open the door, then the light is projected to the ground. You can position the logo in any diection that you desire. The drilled units are easy to install, but I highly suggest that you solder the wires from the "puddle light" to the OEM wires from the door light.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:04 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk

The second one, of course!

Old 01-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by FRGIII2014
I have both an XK and an XJ so I went out to the garage the check and the lights are the same. No worries.
I looked into getting these replacement sets for my 2010 XKR, but they look nothing like the ones I have. I looked further into eBay and found some, but only for the 2013 and later model XKs. Evidently the puddle and door lights changed styles between 2012 and 2013.
Having personally never seen ANY post-2006 XKRs other than mine (I like the exclusivity), I have no idea if I'm correct or not, just using the eBay information I have available.
I got my drill type today, white leaper and circle, with a red JAGUAR. Fifteen bucks free shipping, Gen 5 with the CREE LED.
Also, instead of electrical tape, I will use metal tape made for ducting (NOT "duct" tape"), also called Speed Tape in the US Military. It doesn't degrade, allow any light to transmit, one piece will cover the whole lens, and will look nice and shiny, should anyone happen to crawl under my open door.

powerhouse (01-16-2015)

Quick Reply: puddle lights for XK's