XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Is Pulley and Tune Worth it on 5.0 XKR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Is Pulley and Tune Worth it on 5.0 XKR?

I know you're all prob thinking "of course, its the best bang for buck!" But I'd like to hear from those that have actually done it. I have a hard time hooking through 3rd if I get on it. Especially in winter. I tried to go to 295's but with my Cor wheels the 295's rubbed.

Anyhow, what change in drive did you experience with pulley and tune?
How much was it?
Would you do it again?

Old 12-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
I know you're all prob thinking "of course, its the best bang for buck!" But I'd like to hear from those that have actually done it. I have a hard time hooking through 3rd if I get on it. Especially in winter. I tried to go to 295's but with my Cor wheels the 295's rubbed.

Anyhow, what change in drive did you experience with pulley and tune?
How much was it?
Would you do it again?
some argue it smooths out the engine more, better gas mileage and can quiken the transmission.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

YES!!!! It woke the car up its an absolute beast but docile if you like it to be. If I drive on the highway I can get 20MPG averaging 70MPH in town its around 10 if I'm heavy footed and 13-14 if not.

I 3LBS pulley and a Live sef tune from RSC Tuning for around 2250 I think, I'll have to look.. More the the 1k from EuroCharge but you keep the tuning device. It just connects to your ODB II sensor, you place the car in run and the light will blink red while its flashing then turn a solid green. Thats it you keep the device in case you ever get a new ECM or the dealer flashes it.

Its a real seat of the pants difference and I love it.

I have not had the car dynoed yet but I've driven a lot of high HP cars and this right up there with any 600HP car I've driven. Its hell of a lot faster then the stock XKR I drive at the Jag Academy. A Dyno session is coming up so we will see how she does.

Attached Thumbnails Is Pulley and Tune Worth it on 5.0 XKR?-wp_20131219_004.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by MaximA:
DGL (12-19-2013), rscultho (12-20-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

I have to agree with MaximA. Woke the car up is a good way to say it.

Looking back, I never really thought the car was asleep, but the tune makes a very noticeable difference in performance. There is absolutely no doubt about it. I also did before and after dyno's. You have probably seen my thread, but my gains are inline with what others are claiming a tune will do to the 5.0 S/C. I am very pleased that we are able to get such good results for not much money. Other cars you might have to spend a lot more to see these types of gains. Also, the car is VERY smooth and idles perfectly. I have not experienced any negative issues at this time.

Here is the thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...charts-105538/

A few days ago I drove it to my Father's house and got to run on the hwy through Houston for about an hour. I noticed the car was so much more effortless in passing that I really had to watch my speed. The power is incredible. I had a wide open area and punched it at about 4000 RPM's in 4th and before I knew it I bounced off the limiter before quickly launching into 5th gear...the car pulling like a freight train the whole time. It's just plain awesome to experience.

As for traction, well its been colder here too except for the last few days, but yes it will spin the rears going into third gear easily. Honestly you will probably need more tire to have fun at slower speeds or you will just spin them or have traction control constantly cutting power. The widest and stickiest street tires you can fit would be a good start.

If I was driving this car on a track, I probably would not have done the tune until I was extracting everything I could out of the car as it is. Then I would work on the suspension and tires. Once I was maxed out there, then the tune. However for a street car or a cruiser, the tune is a great place to start for just plain fun. Mash the gas and you can't help but smile. You definitely will get your money's worth.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 10:55 PM

You guys are killing me saying this pulley "wakes it up". Sheesh, in first gear you have to tip toe into the throttle as it just surges like no tomorrow. Throttle response is instant everywhere. How the heck can this wake it up more.

I wonder if it is a case of seat of the head vs seat of the pants LOL. No seriously you all have me curious. So the cost is $2250 from RSC. That is into Coil Over territory for more HP that isn't needed as much as more body control. Is there a $1k option that doesn't require a trip to Chicago?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
You guys are killing me saying this pulley "wakes it up". Sheesh, in first gear you have to tip toe into the throttle as it just surges like no tomorrow. Throttle response is instant everywhere. How the heck can this wake it up more.

I wonder if it is a case of seat of the head vs seat of the pants LOL. No seriously you all have me curious. So the cost is $2250 from RSC. That is into Coil Over territory for more HP that isn't needed as much as more body control. Is there a $1k option that doesn't require a trip to Chicago?
I never use 1st gear...2nd gear is like 1st gear to me.

Throttle response was always good, that is true. Now it's better and more urgent than before. Very noticeable to me.

I think for about a grand, Eurocharged will mail you the tune/pulley and you can get the pulley installed for a couple hundred. But as of now I don't think they have a module you can keep. I wonder if that will be an option at some point. They do unlimited re-tunes if you lose the tune due to a reflash or something, but I think you still have to pay shipping.

Do some before/after dynos, and you will see its not in your head. Post them up if you do it.

Good luck! Still need to think about the tires if you say 295's wont fit with your wheels and springs.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:38 AM

Does it void our warranty?

Old 12-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

Technically it would, but you can't detect it and no dealer is going to measure the pulley. You can see everything that is done to my car and the dealer has never said a word to me.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Is this the upgrade you got from RSC Tune?

Racing Sport Concepts

So they give you a unit that you keep that plug into the OBDII port? (just confirming)

Pulley shows at $478...Assuming the ECU tune utilizes the additional boost and doesn't bleed it off (which is what would happen with a pulley change only)

I also like the claim of a $1,000,000 insurance policy against damage to the engine. Can you provide details on how they provide that to the customer?

Thanks

Old 12-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Evoking - To be the best part about the tune isnt the first gear stop light" power its the ease of acceleration at highway speeds. Passing or just cruising at 80 or so is effortless as passing at 35. Its quite amazing.

rscultho - The unit looks different than that one as it was just released 2 months ago. You get the unit and just plug it in to reflash and then remove it and store it. Once used it's mated to your cars VIN so you can't use it on other cars. Let me see if I can get you more information on each or contact Hershel at RSC 800-815-3751. I dont want to misrepresent their claims. I will say I'm very happy with I have purchased and hd installed.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

As I have said before on posts on this same topic, the only thing holding me back, and it's just barely keeping me in check, is the risk, if not certainty, of voiding my select edition warranty.

That really is one hell of a risk. Six years and hundred thousand miles bumper-to-bumper w/ zero deductible versus > one hundred extra horsepower and torque.

I admire all of those of you brave enough to take the plunge. If I got even the slightest vibe from my dealership they would tolerate the mods and look the other way, I'd be first in line.

But until then, the numbers just don't add up. It feels like mods that won't mess with my warranty, like cooling mods, bigger tires, etc. will be the way to go for more performance while this major league warranty is in place.

My last forced induction V8, a Mercedes E 55, was a completely different animal after I had the pulley and tune done. Unbelievable difference for around 2000 bucks. I would love to repeat this experience with the X KR.

If any of the tuners offered indemnity against Jaguar voiding the warranty, and the tuner had a long enough reputation to suggest that they would actually stand behind such assurance, I'm in. Otherwise, the stakes are too high

Skeeter

Old 12-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Just went into the dealer yesterday to have a code cleared, and order a new A/C evaporator as mine was causing a musty smell first start of the AM.. Not a word and they know exactly what's been done to the car. Everyones dealer is different.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
Technically it would, but you can't detect it and no dealer is going to measure the pulley. You can see everything that is done to my car and the dealer has never said a word to me.
I have to tell you that if a dealer scans your car for any fault it will show a non oem configuration. It will show the date & mileage. If any of you are non believers I will scan in & show you the print out. That being said for any of the non believers out there who are more interested in before & after dyno numbers or what exactly are they changing. You have no idea what you are missing. All of the tunes are similar, ETG, RSC or RICA. They all truly wake the car up. I have learned on the later cars that changing the pulley alone is a waste as the factory tune limits both boost & throttle opening.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

I'm sure they can tell somehow but no ones ever said anything, fingers crossed... The tunes are almost all the same, I was talking to Hershel at RSC and he even said its a few guys that write the software.

What scan tool are you using? I was looking into purchasing one and just got lost in whole world of OBD II scan products.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar IDS the tool that all Jaguar & Land Rover dealers use.

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Any particular place to purchase the hardware/software. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:25 PM

I'm very intrigued. But I also have to say that of course the dealer won't say anything - until there is an issue with the engine. There is no reason to raise the issue if you don't have a current claim.

With an engine failure or some other claim you have probably a 70% chance of being denied with the tune. The other 30% will depend on if you have a GREAT relationship with your dealer such that he will cover you.

So the question of whether it will void the warranty can/will only be answered should your car need ANY engine work while under warranty!

Old 12-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

My point is simply that it is detectable & would show up any time they scan your car weather it is a check engine, ABS, transmission etc. I am not saying anything about warranty coverage.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:37 AM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Remember, the warranty is only voided under the law if it can be shown that the problem for which warranty was sought was directly caused by the modification. The burden of proof is on the provider of the warranty.

As someone who has done the tune and pulley, I'm actually more concerned about getting my tune reflashed to stock by the dealer who has no clue it was ever tuned, as part of a factory "update". By tuner (ETG) offers two free re-tunes, so if I am careful with my technician I think I'll get by....

Old 12-25-2013, 01:54 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Bruce,

I've had to litigate one of these before with a MBZ (and will NEVER buy from them again due to the experience), I can tell you that any repairs needed to the powertrain can be blamed on a pulley/ECu mod.

In my case, I had before and after dinos showing a grand total of 20 increased horsepower on and E55 AMG, which puts out considerable horsepower stock. Of course the actual gains were higher, as the post dyno was testing the car when it had considerable heat soak. But this was not something that was brought up as a defense, or known by Mercedes.

Bottom line: they asserted mods which gave me on paper less than 10% increase in horsepower and torque as justification for not covering the differential ripping loose from the rear frame. They did indeed measure the diameter of the pulley, and were utterly inflexible in their stance.

Not saying that your local Jaguar dealer will do the same, some dealers install mods themselves, and promise warranty coverage despite the modifications. Wish I knew one of them :-)

Of course I say this in the spirit of hoping that none of those brave enough among us to do this essential mods have complications. Hell, hopefully we never have engine, transmission, or rear end/differential problems for the life of our cars modded or stock. The car cries out for this mod! It's safe, free, abundant power for very small dollars relative to the cost of the car. If it weren't for my prior nightmare experience with Mercedes and the vibe from my current dealership they are 100% by the book, I would dive in headfirst.

It absolutely kills me knowing that there are some there so much extra power on tap, being held by my software and in overly conservative pulley diameter. And I have no doubt that the mod is completely safe and not pushing the envelope of what the rest of the systems in our cars can handle. And yes, I would use and appreciate the extra horsepower :-)

But that warranty...

Skeeter

Quick Reply: Is Pulley and Tune Worth it on 5.0 XKR?