XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A question about Alpha tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 03:57 PM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts
Default A question about Alpha tuning

Well anyway,I just had a question on another thread that was closed about alpha tune for a Jag and I get told that i'm saying lunacy stuff for just having a question...(whatever mental idiot unheard of sense that even makes and i'm only retaliating cause of that insult).Well anyway my question about the tune is does it burn more gas and change your mpg around to something less?I ONLY ASK THAT because people i know that had tunes done to their cars had MAJOR UPGRADE MODS DONE ON THEIR CARS THAT WOULD REQUIRE IT TO BURN MORE GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!SHEESH!Also being shot down for not having any info in my bio about my car when the bio thing says "optional"😐well anyway i went right ahead and updated all that stuff since it was such a HUGE problem.With that said,I kind of talked to the guy at alpha tuning and he told me so far that all it does is reprograms the ECM or something when every auto part on your car is still left completely stock and THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT of why I would ask such a question.Now if anybody don't know,I can easily get in contact with the guy at alpha tuning.Either way it's no problem.But so far,I been hearing good results about having this tune for your Jaguar.I'm just trying to know if this tune burns a lot more gas if your car is still completely stock after only a little reprogramming have been done to it?That's it and nothing major.

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 10-04-2021 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:48 PM
Received 228 Likes on 112 Posts

Well - no clear answer to your question. Probably first question is a starting point - OEM air/fuel ratio (AFR) - is it 14,7 or it is already lower (rich in fuel).

1. Many people claims that their MPG was improved after chiptuning - which might be true
2. How to get more power - add more fuel and boost

So - long story short - chiptuning may improve fuel efficiency on a daily basis (especially low and mid range revs), but to get more power, especially in higher revs - you need to add more fuel, change ignition advance angle and add more boost (air).

I believe when you want to have gains in power - you accept that your fuel efficiency may get affected...

The following users liked this post:
Barry Leftwich (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

This thread is substantially identical to your other thread, which was closed by Forum Moderator Cambo because you repeatedly posted the same question. That's called "Post whoring" and is not acceptable. Here's the last posts of that closed thread:

You should read the Forum Rules:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/

For your convenience, I posted a link to the Rules in your other thread but you apparently didn't read them. Instead, you insulted me and reposted that thread.

I give up. You're hopeless, and I'm done. Thanks, Cee Jay, for your good advice. You're right. No more soup from him!

Cee Jay (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
This thread is substantially identical to your other thread, which was closed by Forum Moderator Cambo because you repeatedly posted the same question. That's called "Post whoring" and is not acceptable. Here's the last posts of that closed thread:

You should read the Forum Rules:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/

For your convenience, I posted a link to the Rules in your other thread but you apparently didn't read them. Instead, you insulted me and reposted that thread.

I give up. You're hopeless, and I'm done. Thanks, Cee Jay, for your good advice. You're right. No more soup from him!
That wasn't my post.I was only asking a question about the alpha tune the guy had done to his XJR.All i ever did was participate in posting on his thread.Yall be out for blood when all i ever did was ask a question😳You can't be serious man😩i'm not trying to insult anybody idk cause some people would rather be in jail by how they react to that stuff and i'm not trying to go that route to find out if that's how they do things.But all I was trying to do is correct what had happened. To sum it all up, I don't even have an XJR to make a post about it🤯 Got me feeling like this guy on the forum today with that misunderstanding😂

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 10-04-2021 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by tmich
Well - no clear answer to your question. Probably first question is a starting point - OEM air/fuel ratio (AFR) - is it 14,7 or it is already lower (rich in fuel).

1. Many people claims that their MPG was improved after chiptuning - which might be true
2. How to get more power - add more fuel and boost

So - long story short - chiptuning may improve fuel efficiency on a daily basis (especially low and mid range revs), but to get more power, especially in higher revs - you need to add more fuel, change ignition advance angle and add more boost (air).

I believe when you want to have gains in power - you accept that your fuel efficiency may get affected...
Now that answers my question!Sound like it could either be a hit or miss.But I hope i get like the actual answer from somebody that have proof that had this tune done to really know if it's true that it stays the same or improves your gas mileage. I want to know for sure before I make a move and have this tune done cause i do plan on getting a tune 1 day.But so far,that's all i'm saying and i'm gone LOVE IT and really need it if it keeps your gas mileage the same or even better that it saves you gas for having this tune done😎😁💯

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 10-03-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

You can modify an ECU for fuel efficiency or you can modify it for power.

The following 2 users liked this post by jahummer:
Barry Leftwich (10-04-2021), guy (10-31-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
You can modify an ECU for fuel efficiency or you can modify it for power.
See,this is my question since it's dealing with this type of tune and i'm loving the answers i'm getting so far that's helping me understand it a little bit better.It's a very serious question to me cause im not trying to get in my car and hit the gas a few times and be out of gas before i can make it to the next stop light lol some people on this forum might be ok with their Jaguar turning into a fish after their mods for a tune and that's fine if that's how they want it.But me,I like not having to worry about seeing a low fuel indicator with only a few minutes or an hour of driving on a full tank.So i'm trying to get as much info about this tune as I can so when that day comes,it will be everything i expected😎Thanks again for letting me know how this tuning works.I appreciate all answers from all those that know and or did this type of tune on a car they had before

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 10-04-2021 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I have zero experience with this specific tune so am unable to offer any useful feedback, my reply was purely generic with regards to tuning in general. The questions you're asking would best be directed towards those who DO have experience with this tune.

Barry Leftwich (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

I have had Alex's tune for a couple months now. I average between 14.5 and 17 mpg. Who buys an R and worries about gas mileage? Well not me!
Exhaust note changed, sounds more pissed off. Note: I have modified cats, your results may vary. Throttle response is much crisper. Traction with my Goodyears is an issue but not everytime. Well worth the money and if driven responsibly I suspect very little differance in gas mileage. My mpg is determined by my imature right foot. Yours may vary greatly if you went a grew up years ago.

Last edited by 1 of 19; 10-04-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:02 AM
Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

Under heavy load (driving hard) Im sure it will get worse gas milage but at cruising speed it should have no effect,,
Different fuel tables for cruise and WOT.
My last car I asked the tuner tgat I wanted max power at WOT but better fuel economy at cruise and
he gave me both,car was faster at WOT and highway cruise milage went up by 1.5mpg.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by htrdlncn
Under heavy load (driving hard) Im sure it will get worse gas milage but at cruising speed it should have no effect,,
Different fuel tables for cruise and WOT.
My last car I asked the tuner tgat I wanted max power at WOT but better fuel economy at cruise and
he gave me both,car was faster at WOT and highway cruise milage went up by 1.5mpg.
Now that's what i'm talking about and why i'm so curious about this tune.It seems like you can enjoy the best of both worlds from it😁😎

Old 10-04-2021, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
I have had Alex's tune for a couple months now. I average between 14.5 and 17 mpg. Who buys an R and worries about gas mileage? Well not me!
Exhaust note changed, sounds more pissed off. Note: I have modified cats, your results may vary. Throttle response is much crisper. Traction with my Goodyears is an issue but not everytime. Well worth the money and if driven responsibly I suspect very little differance in gas mileage. My mpg is determined by my imature right foot. Yours may vary greatly if you went a grew up years ago.
i see what you saying.The gas mileage not that great on the R but at the same time,i don't want to drastically make it worst lol.With the experience that yall have from a tune,it's making me question myself wondering why i don't got 1 yet😅💯😎

Old 10-04-2021, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
I have zero experience with this specific tune so am unable to offer any useful feedback, my reply was purely generic with regards to tuning in general. The questions you're asking would best be directed towards those who DO have experience with this tune.
That's enough info for me to inform me about what i'm getting myself into.It's much appreciated just for letting me know that much about it💯

Old 10-30-2021, 02:04 PM
Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts

Alex at Alphajag tuned mine. Had Eurocharged stuff, hated it and Alex's tune is hands down best

AlexJag (07-24-2022)