XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Question about daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 07:35 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
I'm in Southern California, and the car's been a SoCal car its whole life, so neither cold no moisture is an issue (I think I've done a below 32F start precisely once in the car-- in the morning, in Utah, on the drive. Plus, I keep it garaged so I'm not too worried about the sun.
I have to warn you against thinking that moisture isn't an issue because you live in a dry area like LA. The dew you see on some mornings happens because the temperature drops low enough to cause the latent moisture in the atmosphere to condense and form liquid water drops. Those little water drops fall out of the atmosphere and land on the ground. The same thing happens in your engine as it cools overnight also. Your engine has a smaller volume of air, so less water comes out of the solution, but it still accumulates if it isn't removed. The only way to get it out is to boil it out of the oil then send it out the CCV. That only happens when your engine is fully warmed up. Even then, it's a slow vaporization process, not a fast one. Kinda like how a pot of water on the stove will steam before it reaches its boiling point and actually boils.

Also, remember that it's the oil that needs to reach operating temperature, not the coolant. The coolant will warm up faster, and that's the temperature the gauge on the dash reads. Just because the gauge says the car is warmed up, doesn't mean it actually is. And when it's warmed up, it's not at 100C, it's only at about 90C driving down the road. Water doesn't vaporize quickly at 90C.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I need to fly over this cuckoo's nest.....

Old 10-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Santa Barbara is about a 175-180 mile round trip from the Palisades. Better suggestion - take her into the twisties in the Santa Monica Mountains on early weekend mornings and have some fun while drying her out.
Yes. A somewhat vigorous jaunt taking Sunset to the ocean in sport will clean her out while garnishing attention and admiration from those you leave in your wake. And while the occasional CHIP may protest (and some do quite loudly and voraciously...as I have experienced) it's always well worth the tickets. Think of them as statements of verification. Mulholland and Laurel Canyon were my other favs when I did the bi-coastal thing, with Sepulveda as a late afternoon backup.

My own daily commute can be as little as 2.5 miles driveway to parking spot, so half the time I take a long way with a good stretch of limited access high speed fun.

cheers

Old 10-29-2017, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Traffic is so bad in.parts of California that motorists are always parked on the parkway 🚕🚚🚗⛟🚓

In other states, immigrants who don't speak English are confused because motorists drive on the parkway and park on the driveway. 🤤

Old 10-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting.
Many of us not from there have and love to do the Sunset-Pch-Topanga canyon routine.

Its a metaphor for life. We long for it, until we have it.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 10-29-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Are these cars REALLY that sensitive to short trips? I have had six modern V8 Jags. I had over 150K miles on three of them with no mechanical engine problems. They were daily drivers. Fifteen miles to work and two or three miles for lunch each day.

Who has a verifyable mechanical problem related to short trips?

The following 2 users liked this post by davchr:
Queen and Country (10-29-2017), Sean W (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

If interested in preservation and longevity.
We should do whatever Ralph does.
You will have as many Jaguars as your heart desires.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (10-29-2017)