XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Question for the group on a HUD experiment

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 03:51 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry everyone, I spent the last 2 weeks packing up & moving to a new place. I have the gauge hump & will get online today & get a HUD unit. I need to unpack all my tools & get a little organized. My goal is to start this project in the next 2-3 weeks. I'll post pics & updates as soon as i get going.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:09 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Note that HUDs connect in two manners: 1. To OBDII port or 2. to cigarette lighter port.
The cigarette lighter models can be hard wired, but it has to be to a separate female cigarette socket (available at Radio Shack) that itself is hard wired to 12 vt supply. You cannot just cut the wire from the HUD and splice to a 12Vt power source because the voltage in the HUD is not 12 VT. It is much less, like maybe 5 vt. the provided male socket reduces the voltage from 12 vt. Thus you must somehow retain the male socket.
I tried a couple of these. They had short lives, failing in weeks. Both were made by no-name mfgs in Taiwan and sold through Amazon. They are cheap, and not worth your money and time.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,258 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey
Note that HUDs connect in two manners: 1. To OBDII port or 2. to cigarette lighter port.
The cigarette lighter models can be hard wired, but it has to be to a separate female cigarette socket (available at Radio Shack) that itself is hard wired to 12 vt supply. You cannot just cut the wire from the HUD and splice to a 12Vt power source because the voltage in the HUD is not 12 VT. It is much less, like maybe 5 vt. the provided male socket reduces the voltage from 12 vt. Thus you must somehow retain the male socket.
I tried a couple of these. They had short lives, failing in weeks. Both were made by no-name mfgs in Taiwan and sold through Amazon. They are cheap, and not worth your money and time.
Well let's see how his experiment turns out first. There are several 12v to 5 volt inverters available for less than $10. Then we can address options as we aren't necessarily looking for the cheapest, but the best fit.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:48 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Did this ever go any further?

Old 08-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,258 Likes on 2,379 Posts

nope

Old 09-02-2018, 10:53 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

A couple of years ago I tried aftermarket HUDs as sold through Amazon. There appears to be two basic technologies used to read speed: 1. a wired connection through the OBDII port; and 2. a GPS speed reader.
I bought both examples. They were cheap. Some of these units are sold through apparent USA corporations. The units I bought were made in Taiwan, maybe by the same manufacturer.
Installation was comparatively easy, but I was not dazzled with the performance. Image faded in bright sun, even with the reflective patch on the windshield. I removed them after about three weeks.
I don't think really good HUDs are available cheaply. HUD is not a cheap oem option - like $900 extra on a Mercedes S Class. Tesla, perhaps a leader in information technology, does not offer HUD.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,453 Likes on 3,215 Posts

I test drove a 2018 Corvette Sting Ray which had a HUD. I never once looked at it after the first 1000 yards of driving.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:46 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I had no luck

I was the guy trying to fit one of those & the problem is the angle of the hump piece on our dash. The only way to make this look even close to a factory setup throws the projection way to high up on the windshield. It just winds up being distracting. The corvettes I had all projected down beneath your site line & that’s the ideal location. The only way I could see this project being successful is if someone custom molded a new hump piece & has it wrapped in leather & you try to keep somewhat of a stock look.