XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Question re: Missing window shield defrost vent

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 07:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question re: Missing window shield defrost vent

I recently bought a 2007 XK convertible. I'm very hery happy with it, however, the defrost vent at the angle of the front windshield is essentially gone. It has been completely removed except for a few shards of plastic. I understand that UV light probably cracked and destroyed it and was removed by a PO or the dealership I bought it from. So much for the past, can't change it.
An on-line supplier informed my that this piece is called a 'dash pad' though I can't verify that. Is there another name ofr it? Or a part number? I can't find it on any of the parts vendors that I've searched through. I always thought that a "Dash Pad" was a fabric dash cover that cost $40-60. He had a leather, 'Grade A', replacement part for $525 including postage. It is probably worth i$525 as I'm finding it diffifult to find another similar part. I haven't bought it ... yet. Waiting for advice from you guys. I have attached the piece colored in BLUE.

Missing part is highlighted in BLUE. What is it's name or part number?

My question is: Am I going to have to remove or loosen the dash to install this piece? Or does it just 'snap' into place. I really don't want to spend $1000 or so to pull the dash just to put this piece into place.
BTW, I have ordered a fabric 'dash pad' that covers the entire dash, including that missing vent piece. I thinking of not replacing the vent piece right now due to additional expense.
Thanks for any information.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

As far as I can recall, no one has found a separate part number for this, and only appears to be available as part of the whole dash cover $$$$$.
There was a guy who was trying to sell plastic replacements that he was having made, but there was something shady about the whole deal, and he may have made one or two, as I do recall seeing one on eBay a year or so ago.
Another member here made some metal ones that lay on top of the old vent openings. You could paint or wrap them whatever color you like. Good quality, and I bought a set to have on hand in case mine ever break. Don’t know if he still has some, try a search for the thread to get more info (maybe ‘dash vent’, ‘blade’, something like that).

Old 03-15-2021, 02:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the note as well as confirming what I suspected. There are no replacement parts except a very few made by some 3d party.
I have ordered a fabric dash met for my Jag XK. Alfter I'm confident that the pre-cut 'Slots' are psitioned properly for adequate defrosting, I'll sew or glue some black screen material over the undersidee of the fabric to keep quarters and bugs from falling into the vent system. I know it's a make shift way to do it but it won't be very noticeable Maybe you could send a picture of what you bought. May try to fashion a replica of it using aluminum grating material. I have tools that can copy curves and welding materials.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums ClayAK,

Your post was automatically lockled for moderation and therefore not displayed. I can't see any problem with the content and have unlocked it:

My recollection of previous discussion of this part of the dash is the same as kj07xk's - it's not available as a separate part.

Graham

Old 03-15-2021, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
GGG (03-15-2021), Sean W (03-15-2021)