XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Question..... so open ended not sure why I am asking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
That's interesting. I wonder if someone could develop a crank operated ROPS system so that they can be manually operated for track day events.
No need to operate them for track days. The only time they are required is in a roll over, and they deploy automatically. And if you do have a roll over at the track your last concern will be retracting the the hoops again.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 255 Posts

Me too, Alan!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
No need to operate them for track days. The only time they are required is in a roll over, and they deploy automatically. And if you do have a roll over at the track your last concern will be retracting the the hoops again.
Do most tracks accept ROPS as acceptable? Or do they want a solid rollbar? I thought some wanted solid ones.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Having raced in my day, most tracks require a bona-fide role bar, as in....
Circa 1968-70.... BTW, that's me back in the day taking tire temps.

Attached Thumbnails Question..... so open ended not sure why I am asking.-tr-4-race-car-pic-1.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Do most tracks accept ROPS as acceptable? Or do they want a solid rollbar? I thought some wanted solid ones.
The three tracks I ran the XKR at all accepted the factory pop-up roll bars. One was Mosport and it's among the fastest and most dangerous tracks in North America. If they accept them that may be a good indication that most other might also. If someone were considering a vert for their local tracking it would make sense to check their requirements first.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I wonder how high the bars actually pop up. Do they pass the broomstick test when popped up?

Old 03-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting, Bruce H., that's good t know. I'll venture forward....

Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

As far as the XK goes, I'm a coupe owner simply because the lines are as sexy as a car can get. You lose so much of the personality when you go vert.
That said, I'm still a drop top lover myself and that's where my Vette comes in.

Opposite is true for my 2002 Vette. The convertible is a dream to look at but the coupe ( in my opinion ) looks awkward.
I have the best of both automotive worlds

Old 03-03-2014, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member

If it weren't for the fact I have a 2+2 E-Type (coupe style), I too, like the modern coupe. I like the vert, as it's the modern day version of the '67 roadster, I originally wanted when shopping in the early 70s. I had a roadster pick out, but my insurance company would not cover it, but, would a hardtop. Go figure!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Convertibles are all about having fun in good weather. Open air motoring is a completely different experience, with a completely different focus....the least of which is how the hips over the rear wheels compare to a coupes.

Verts are not for everyone. They're not going to be the ideal for daily use for many, not great in urban traffic with the top up (rear visibility) or top down (sun baking you as you sit in traffic), not as secure when parked unattended, they don't haul as much as a coupe, and they blow your hair around. And forget it if you have a hair piece! So for many a vert is impractical and undesirable.

But... if you love the driving experience that is unique to a convertible, and your situation allows you to have a fair weather toy safely stored and waiting for your driving pleasure, there is no substitute. I also love the look of a handsome coupe, and if the XK came with a removable targa roof I could have considered it, but another vehicle with a roof was not what we wanted.

So, for those of you who just don't "get" the whole convertible thing, I hope this example helps...I had a '70 XK-E vert when I was 20 for several years, single and free. It wasn't the best built car I have ever owned, but definitely was the most driving fun I'd experience for decades. My favorite time to drive it was on balmy summer evenings after the sun had gone down. It was a real looker, and the envy of all who saw it. It was a romantic driving experience and it seduced me. I dated my wife to be in it, and she loved it too. Then life got in the way, and owning a vert didn't fit in with it for years. But when I retired I decided I had to add a vert to the collection again, and I thought there was no finer vert available than the XKR. It still provides all the romance and fun, it's a real looker, and still the envy of all who sees it.

Once you've fallen in love with the top down driving experience you look at sports/GT design and styling differently. I find I've been more attracted to some convertible versions over the years, while not liking some others. In the case of the XK, they're among the absolutely most stunning available in both coupe and vert... but if you're driving tastes are for the open air experience there's just no contest...you'll lust after the vert.

Bruce