XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Questions for my expert friends

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 01:17 PM
Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Questions for my expert friends

I finally have found two xkr's that caught my attention. One is a 2014 low milage, one owner. Kelly Blue Book price is 29K . It is priced 7k over that. What would be a good price after having a pre purchase dealer inspection? Can you buy a jaguar extended warranty that is not third party for this car? I talked to a Jaguar rep once and he told me they only sell the third party extended warranties which I would not buy.

The other xkr is a 2013 that has a 18 month platinum Jaguar extended warranty. How much should this add on the price of the car? Are these warranties any good? Seems to me you could buy this xkr and have a Jag dealer go over the car and fix anything that is wrong while covered on this factory extended warranty and not worry at all for 18 months. Am I correct on this? I have a Lexus extended warranty. It pretty much covers anything except wear and tear items. Brakes, Belts, etc. Is the Jaguar factory extended Plat warranty like the Lexus ex warranty on coverage?

Thanks for all your help. You saved once talking me out of a destroyed 2010 xkr black pack. And boy I am glad you did. Thanks for that. What do think on these two? Once again thanks for all your comments.

JDog

Last edited by JDog; 03-15-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Originally Posted by JDog
I finally have found two xkr's that caught my attention.
The other xkr is a 2013 that has a 18 month platinum Jaguar extended warranty. How much should this add on the price of the car? Are these warranties any good? Seems to me you could buy this xkr and have a Jag dealer go over the car and fix anything that is wrong while covered on this factory extended warranty and not worry at all for 18 months. Am I correct on this? I have a Lexus extended warranty. It pretty much covers anything except wear and tear items. Brakes, Belts, etc. Is the Jaguar factory extended Plat warranty like the Lexus ex warranty on coverage?
If you are speaking about the official Jaguar Certified warranty, the car undergoes a rigorous examination of both mechanical/electrical and cosmetic items. If passed, the car is elegible for this warranty coverage (which is for 24 months - and a specified distance, usually a total of 160,000 kms - beyond the 4 year factory warranty - this may vary in different areas because the factory warranty is different for different regions). The warranty covers almost everything except appearance and wear and tear items.

Last edited by GGG; 03-16-2020 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Insert QUOTE code
Old 03-15-2020, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

I would see if I could review the service records for both cars. If it were me I would want to buy one of the two vehicles only if all of the factory recommended maintenance had been performed at a minimum. If the car had its oil changed with Jaguar spec oil every 3-7k miles or twice annually that would be a plus factor for me. And, you are right on regarding the pp inspection.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,299 Likes on 3,457 Posts

To be eligible for the Jaguar Certified Pre-Owned Warranty, the vehicle must be five years old or newer and have less than 60,000 miles.
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/jaguar-cpo-guide

Old 03-15-2020, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I strongly recommend waiting a month or so to buy a luxury car. With markets tanking, it will take value of recreational assets with them - luxury cars, boats, airplanes will be available at a fire sale prices.

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
JagRag (03-16-2020), Queen and Country (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 08:16 PM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

The warranty is worth "another $4-4500" according to a Jaguar Used Car mgr. I've not had to use mine for the free warranty services yet it has given me a great deal of confidence during my 15k miles of driving the FT. I would add though that the 07 XJR that I bought from a Jaguar dealer, though it would have been warranted from a direct seller-to-buyer purch, was not warranted to me from the dealer. It has been fine for several years and tens of thousands of miles -- due to a dilligent prior owner, and I did review his service records, along with a chat. Include the warranty in your shopping

Old 03-16-2020, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JDog
... Can you buy a jaguar extended warranty that is not third party for this car? I talked to a Jaguar rep once and he told me they only sell the third party extended warranties which I would not buy.

The other xkr is a 2013 that has a 18 month platinum Jaguar extended warranty. ... Are these warranties any good? ...

JDog
Let's start with clarifying terminology. By definition, a "warranty" is a promise to repair or replace a product that is provided by the manufacturer when that product is sold to the consumer. Jaguar issues a new car warranty and, if a car qualifies, a Jaguar Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. That CPO warranty comes with a cost to the dealer, so they add that to the price of the car.

Jaguar dealers also sell third-party extended service contracts for those cars that don't qualify for a Jaguar CPO Warranty. Because extended service contracts are high profit items for the dealer, they're aggressively pushed by salespeople who call them "extended warranties", but they're not backed by Jaguar even if they're sold on that Jaguar dealer's letterhead. Buyer Beware!

Extended service contracts are not warranties; they're like an insurance policy from a third party, including deductibles, copays, limitations and exclusions. They're usually sold using a pamphlet that summarizes the choices of plan coverages that also says to refer to the actual contract. Of course, the dealer doesn't have that but you'll get it after you buy it. Insist on a copy of that complete contract so you can review it before you buy it. Often, ambiguous fine print is the basis for the Administrator to deny coverage.

Just know what you're buying. An extended service contract is not a Jaguar warranty. That 2013 has an extended service contract, not a Jaguar warranty because it's too old.

Last edited by Stuart S; 03-16-2020 at 07:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
pwpacp (03-16-2020), SinF (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Extended service contracts are not warranties; they're like an insurance policy from a third party, including deductibles, copays, limitations and exclusions. They're usually sold using a pamphlet that summarizes the choices of plan coverages that also says to refer to the actual contract. Of course, the dealer doesn't have that but you'll get it after you buy it. Insist on a copy of that complete contract so you can review it before you buy it. Often, ambiguous fine print is the basis for the Administrator to deny coverage.
Exactly. These are designed to deny coverage. More so, even if item is explicitly covered they may substitute parts, not pay for replacement gaskets, and ask you to pay for diagnostic. Just not worth it.

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
pwpacp (03-16-2020), Queen and Country (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,244 Likes on 2,374 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Exactly. These are designed to deny coverage. More so, even if item is explicitly covered they may substitute parts, not pay for replacement gaskets, and ask you to pay for diagnostic. Just not worth it.
to the OP, everything you just read above + please clarify if it is a Jaguar CPO warranty or an extended service contract and it's the latter, who is the company? With extended warranty contracts, the Dealer is in your camp and is your advocate. They have to "sell" the repair to the carrier, just as you would. Some of them have good reputations and some folks on this forum swear by them. Me, I would set aside the $4k and use it if you need to. Be your own insurance company.

The following users liked this post:
1 of 19 (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I've read over the years on this forum that Jaguar Certified Warranty is not that great. I'd be curious on either car when the water pump was last changed.

If it were me, I'd concentrate on the car that struck more emotion when looking at it. Get it inspected and decide from there. I'd rather have 3-5K sitting on an emergency account than pay for their warranty (at least on a Jaguar).

Old 03-16-2020, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

The Jaguar CPO Warranty on my 2013 XJ covered replacement of my water pump at no cost to me.

Last edited by Stuart S; 03-16-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I've read over the years on this forum that Jaguar Certified Warranty is not that great. ).
Did you read that from anyone who made a claim on the CPO warranty? Shortly after I bought my car with the CPO warranty, I noticed from a certain viewing angle that one of the headlamp units had a streak of glue visible on the inside of the lens. Replaced, no questions ask (that units costs over $3000) I later noted that there was a soft scraping noise on making sharp slow speed turns - investigated by my dealer using microphones attached to the rear suspension - differential replaced, no questions asked...

The warranty is extensive and covers just about everything except wear items...and for the record, I have had excellent service from my dealer (Jaguar Victoria) over decades and iver many Jaguars; buildiing a relationship with your dealer is important.

mosesbotbol (03-17-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

A third-party extended service contract is like a crapshoot. You roll the dice and will occasionally win, which keeps you in the game. But by comparison, you're the amateur and the house is the pro. They're in business to make money, and payouts are just another business expense. Bottom line: The house always wins because they stack the deck in their favor so that losers far outweigh winners.

Some players consider their losses as the cost of having fun, like a ticket to a ball game or movie. Some buyers of third-party extended service contracts consider the premiums as the cost of sleeping well at night. But sometimes those sweet dreams become nightmares.

You pays your money and you take your chances. Your money, your choice. But, as Mick Jagger sang, you can't always get what you want ...

Old 03-16-2020, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

To be clear: Jaguar will only offer to CPO a Jag while it is still under the original manufacturer's warranty-- AND if it is sold at a jaguar dealership. Even if you see a car at, say, a Lexus dealership and it's still under the original warranty (and yes that warranty transfers), you can't get it CPO'd even if you wanted to pay Jaguar. The CPO extends the original warranty date by 24 months and extends the mileage to 100,000. In other words, as of this writing it's POSSIBLE to buy a 2015 XK at a jag dear that Could be CPO'd, but that's it.
And remember, it's the in-service date, not simply the model year of the car. So let's say a 2014 XK/XKR had an in-service date of DEC 1, 2013, and the original owner had had it CPO'D, that protection will go away in December of this year. If that's of concern to you -- and I could understand if it is -- you really need to be looking for a 2015.
FYI I am one of the members who has had a stellar experience with his extended warranty. I've detailed it on other threads which I'm sure you can find.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pk4144
...The CPO extends the original warranty date by 24 months and extends the mileage to 100,000. In other words, as of this writing it's POSSIBLE to buy ...
Possible is one thing; likely to find one is another. It's the needle in the haystack. Even if you get lucky, it'll be over before you know it. If you really want a great X150, don't limit your search to a Jaguar Select Edition Certified Pre-Owned car. Look for an owner who loved their car, didn't abuse it, and had it properly serviced and maintained.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
bocatrip (03-17-2020), ralphwg (03-17-2020), Sean W (03-18-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Did you read that from anyone who made a claim on the CPO warranty? Shortly after I bought my car with the CPO warranty, I noticed from a certain viewing angle that one of the headlamp units had a streak of glue visible on the inside of the lens. Replaced, no questions ask (that units costs over $3000) I later noted that there was a soft scraping noise on making sharp slow speed turns - investigated by my dealer using microphones attached to the rear suspension - differential replaced, no questions asked...

The warranty is extensive and covers just about everything except wear items...and for the record, I have had excellent service from my dealer (Jaguar Victoria) over decades and iver many Jaguars; buildiing a relationship with your dealer is important.
Really worked out well for you! Unfortunately, the Jag dealer that really had a person to person relationship near me was shuttered due to not being a JLR dealer (Woburn, MA). I wish I knew where everyone landed as they really know the marque and cared.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:47 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 784 Posts

I do agree. The ol' Woburn Jaguar was a wonderful shop.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Possible is one thing; likely to find one is another. It's the needle in the haystack. Even if you get lucky, it'll be over before you know it. If you really want a great X150, don't limit your search to a Jaguar Select Edition Certified Pre-Owned car. Look for an owner who loved their car, didn't abuse it, and had it properly serviced and maintained.
Oh for sure. That was my point, which I may not have made clearly.

Stuart S (03-18-2020)