XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Quick-simple cabin air filter question UPDATE + ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019 | 10:30 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default Quick-simple cabin air filter question UPDATE + ADVICE

Sorry - don't know how to alter the headline in the original post so I'm starting fresh for the update. Anyway, for those interested:

Yes, it ends up that I installed the previous cabin air filter backwards. But when I went to do the job this time, I remembered why: it was the only way I could get the (aftermarket) filter to fit in the slot (cue the "that's what she said..."). Also, there's an awkward/flimsy plastic part that seems to serve little purpose that has to be slid in first, but the housing on mine has widened a little so the fit is loose. The whole thing is disappointingly flimsy, truth be told (that's what she said...).
Ahem. Anyway, the whole reason this started was my ongoing battle with a rancid/moldy/mildewey smell that I couldn't get rid of. And, yes, I paid the dealer $675 to replace the duckbill. (I am still suspicious that the work wasn't done, though I've got no footwell moisture issues.)
Anyway. So one of the posters on the original thread posted a link to a YouTube video about eliminating moldy smells through spraying lysol into the intake. I removed the old cabin air filter, and did it.
BIG MISTAKE, as least as shown in the video.
It's a matter of quantity. The jackass who made this video recommended half a can of lysol. To make a long story short, it's been ten days and my car still reeks of Lysol to the point where it can't be driven more than half an hour without getting a headache.
Essentially, what I'm stuck with is the equivalent of dumping a bottle of cheap, nasty perfume down there and hoping it'll "air out."
Which makes me the bigger jackass for following the advice of some moron who made a YouTube video.
Actually, I don't think it's horrible advice -- just LIMIT the application to a couple of blasts of 10-15 seconds each. That's it.
Did it work? Who knows? Linen Fresh Lysol is what the car's gonna smell like for the next few months, at least. And I have a convertible. And I'm in Southern California where, thank GOD, I can go top-down most of the time.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (03-01-2019)
Old 01-30-2019 | 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Turn the heater on as hot as you can bear it and open the windows if necessary. Make sure that all the vents are set manually in their fully open positions and that you selected outside air. If it automatically reverts to recirculating inside air, reduce the temperature and reset it to outside air. Heat and fresh air will accelerate diffusing the Lysol smell. For quicker results, try spraying the intake with Febreze - it claims to eliminate odors. Although it has a fragrance, you might like it better than Lysol. Don't forget to replace your cabin filter if it still smells bad afterwards.

Or just run over a skunk!

Queen and Country (01-31-2019)
Old 01-30-2019 | 11:39 PM
|
Veteran Member

Febreze is from the devil. Read about it. Forget the cars-- Don't EVER use it, anywhere. Period.
Thankfully I left the cabin air filter our when I did this, and since it's the most "downstream" part of all this, it's unaffected. But thanks!

The following 2 users liked this post by pk4144:
Cee Jay (09-02-2021), Stuart S (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019 | 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

LOL!!!! I feel like a bigger tool for reading the entire thing only to come to the part of the story where the second stooge says pour half a bottle of febreze to overpower the lysol. LOL.
You cant buy entertainment this good!!

Try one of these, for both the original problem and the lysol.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Run the ac then heat on recycle with this on.

MarkyUK (03-01-2019)
Old 01-31-2019 | 12:57 AM
Veteran Member

BTW.
You are aware that Lysol was a douche, feminine hygiene product, before smart marketers realized they could get folks to use it in their cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
guy (01-31-2019), pk4144 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019 | 05:50 AM
Veteran Member

OMG, didn’t know that! I assumed that **** was made from skunk extract. Sure, it’ll kill germs, open a bottle and it’ll kill everything in a half mile radius.
Made the mistake of trying it, years ago, in the house for some reason, man... NEVER again will I use a Lysol product, it just stinks forever.

Old 01-31-2019 | 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pk4144
Febreze is from the devil. Read about it. Forget the cars-- Don't EVER use it, anywhere. Period.
Thanks for the warning! Everyone should read this:

https://cvskinlabs.com/7-reasons-why...ir-fresheners/

But ​... do you believe everything that you read on the internet and elsewhere? Note that the source is the Environmental Resource Group. Who are they and are they credible? Or is it propaganda, where they insert "the big lie" in with a lot of commonly known truths to make you believe the lie and promote their agenda? Read this:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/envir...ing-group-ewg/

Now I'm not so sure ...

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-31-2019 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Added more information.
Old 01-31-2019 | 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

The O-zone generator sounds like a good approach. Since it appears to be intended for area use it would appear that first you'd need to place the generator in a sealed manner at the inlet to the air ducts. Perhaps by removing the cabin filter and somehow sealing around the O-z unit so its fan feeds directly into the system. Then let it run for quite some time for maximum ionized air exposure.
I would assume the units fan would not be strong enough for thorough distribution so it might require setting the ingnition to accessory and allow the heater's fan to pull air through as well.
I've not tried this so this is all absolutly speculation on my part, but it does seem logical. It would probably need more than one treatment and for an unknown length of time to complete. Obviously, it would be best to be hooked up to a CTEK too.
If anyone has had actual experience trying this I would be interested to hear how it was accomplished, or if it even worked!

Old 01-31-2019 | 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

I have never seen the youtube on this but are you saying that you poured a half cup of lysol into the duct system??

Old 01-31-2019 | 07:59 AM

Have you guys used this type of cleaner:
Amazon Amazon

Over here they are pretty cheap and seem not to do any harm. Mine were never bad enough to see a major improvement but maybe it killed off some bugs.

pwpacp (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019 | 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Haven't tried that but will look for it at my local AP stores. Mine doesn't have the nasties yet but it would appear this could be a good preventative measure. Since the car sits longer in the winter so now would be the time to give it a try.

Old 01-31-2019 | 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Everybody knows Pine Sol neutralizes Lysol.

Old 01-31-2019 | 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Equally atrocious! The people who clean our local post office seem to use that every other day.....it is nasty!

Old 01-31-2019 | 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pwpacp
Mine doesn't have the nasties yet but it would appear this could be a good preventative measure.
Be careful. I have never had any problem with my ductwork.
Sometimes its easier to deal with a problem when and if it happens.

Dont see why the ozone generator would not do a fantastic job.
Its what the pros use.

Old 01-31-2019 | 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pk4144
Thankfully I left the cabin air filter our when I did this, and since it's the most "downstream" part of all this, it's unaffected. But thanks!
HOO-BOY does Febreze mess some **** up. Talking from experience here......
Deployed to Khobar, Saudi Arabia several times and we were living in what were essentially 8-story four bedroom condos, three units per floor. They'd been used by US forces for a couple years by then, and EVERY bedroom stank horribly of some rancid chemically stench. SO..... what do people do???? Go Buy Febreze and douse the room. ONLY thing wrong with that idea??????? That horrible stench IS FEBREZE!!!!!! Sure, it sorta works when used sparingly, but too much and it's deplorably stinky. THEN it compounds itself because MORE Febreze is used to cover THAT stink...... and on and on and on.............
First thing I did on my SECOND deployment there was to open all the windows (take off all the foil taped to windows to keep it dark.... WHY?) and beat & vacuumed the drapes. THEN I wiped down all the walls and mopped the floors. After about two days the stench was gone. All the OTHER bedrooms in my unit still stank horribly though. Not Mine!
NEVER Febreze, it now makes he heave.

Old 01-31-2019 | 12:21 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
LOL!!!! I feel like a bigger tool for reading the entire thing only to come to the part of the story where the second stooge says pour half a bottle of febreze to overpower the lysol. LOL.

https://www.amazon.com/Ozone-Generat...zone+generator
https://www.amazon.com/Roadacc-Gener...zone+generator

Have you tried one of these? Do they work??

Old 01-31-2019 | 12:22 PM
guy
Veteran Member

LMAO!

Old 01-31-2019 | 12:24 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I have never seen the youtube on this but are you saying that you poured a half cup of lysol into the duct system??
Sad to say, I sprayed about a third of a can. Which was less than the half a can the tool in the video recommended, but still too much. What was I thinking?

Old 01-31-2019 | 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Talk about entertaining... in the product description for the second generator listed, it has this listed under 'tips':

4. Pregnant women must take half an hour of disinfection before they can drive.

Guess we know where the odor was coming from.

Queen and Country (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019 | 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

I was going to say something funny about this, but on second thought ...

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
ralphwg (01-31-2019)

Quick Reply: Quick-simple cabin air filter question UPDATE + ADVICE